Topic

Interesting rumors on a new 43 camera

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Interesting rumors on a new 43 camera

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

43rumors.com has posted rumors of a panasonic camera with a 43 sensor, fixed 24mm – 72mm lens, aperature starting at f2.0, and size "slightly larger" than the LX3.

This could prove to be an improvement to the m43 cameras with kit zooms: lighter weight, more compact, and faster lens. Of course you lose the flexibility of interchangeable lenses. But if keeping weight down is a priority you don't want to carry a bunch of lenses.

Supposedly to be announced in July.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I knew it would happen as soon as I picked up a LX3/D4. I think my wife may get a slightly used D4 soon!

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

Well no, there's another rumor on the page about the LX5 replacement for the LX3. What's not clear is why anyone would want to buy the LX5 with smaller sensor than the 43 fixed lens. Unless the definition of slightly larger is not what one would assume

The D4 will still be the superior camera, ignoring weight. But the 43 fixed if it is as described sounds like the better companion. Of course that's a big if.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Yes, I've been watching the kerfuffle with equal parts interest and amusement. Based strictly on shameless self-interest I envision the following eminating from Panasonic.

1. An LX3 replacement that's an enhanced version of the current camera (better imager, speed, hi-ISO noise, video, sound) with revised controls and a plug-in EVF option borrowed/adapted from the GF1.

A big-chip LX3 would require a lens that was either very large or a LOT slower to keep the size down. Either alternatlve would destroy the essence of what makes the LX3 special.

2. Some kind of 4/3 fixed lens compact that competes with the X1 and DP twins, basically testing the waters to see whether there's a significant future market here. Why compete with a niche that sells a few thousand units/year? After the LX3's surprise success Panny now knows there's a market for high end smallish compacts, but as yet nobody's made a big-chip version with a zoom, or that has "fast reflexes" sorely missing from the DPs and X1. Panny now has a lot of off-the-shelf componentry from µ4/3, which might make development and production of such a camera reasonably affordable.

I'll guess #1 is a slam dunk and #2 is a longshot.

Cheers,

Rick

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

Hopefully we'll find out soon. 43rumors.com is claiming (2) as in the bag and (1) as possible.

I'm not much interested in (1) as I don't care for the small sensors, but (2) sounds very interesting as a replacement for my dp1. I'd like wide angle and portrait with a fast enough lens to get decent bokeh. When I add up the weight of the various EVIL options (with a couple of primes) it's near 1.5 lbs, which is more weight and bulk than I want to deal with. This might be the solution.

I'd also like to see panny/olympus come out with a smaller m43. Sony showed it's possible with the nex. m43 with the slightly smaller sensor should be able to match if not beat sony. The nex isn't viable yet as currently lacks a decent set of lenses, although I'm interested to see how the nex does when paired with leica lenses.

Ah if only the camera manufacturers would consult BPL when drawing up their roadmap. The UL backpacking photographer market is clearly wide open. :)

BTW currently $75 off the pen pl1 and $100 off the p2 for the next week at all major dealers. $525 for the pl1 + kit lens is tempting but with the possibility of something better it's hard for me to jump.

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

"Ah if only the camera manufacturers would consult BPL when drawing up their roadmap. The UL backpacking photographer market is clearly wide open. :)"

First, it would help if they talked to people actually USE cameras :)

They're basically catering to the least common denominator, which is basically wannabe photographers who are also couch potatoes.

Have you ever noticed that most of the nature photographs out there are by people who don't hike? The same spots, over and over again… typically not far from the nearest road… some of those images are quite good, but of the same things.

I keep hoping for better lightweight cameras, and I'm seriously eyeing the Nex (and waiting for my budget to recover :-/), mainly because of its small size and weight.

A Nex would be a great complement to the 4×5, I think. Great for backpacking… just too small for serious landscape photography. :)

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

I don't know whether a µ4/3 system body the size of the Sony system is possible, given the lens mount and flange-to-sensor distance are fixed standards, but perhaps that's where a fixed lens 4/3 camera steps in with no such limitations. Panny has a new generation of CMOS chips that may allow a greater angle of incidence (but they've provided few details so far).

2010 could prove to be the best year yet for digicams suitable for backpacking. The Pens have been out a mere year, and the Panny models not much longer than that, and they've done very well in the marketplace.

Cheers,

Rick

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

Not 4/3 but this is an interesting contender:

Samsung TL500 Key Features

* 24-72mm equivalent F1.8-2.4 image stabilized lens
    * 10 million pixel 1/1.7" sensor (0.43 cm²)
    * Front click dial and rear control dial
    * RAW shooting
    * 3.0 inch VGA-equivalent articulated OLED screen
    * Accessible manual controls
    * Optical Image Stabilization
    * Smart Mode with automatic scene detection
    * VGA output
    * HD output
    * Weight 12.5 ounces

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/samsungtl500/

Rick and others… your thoughts?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Sounds not much different from the existing Canon G11, but without the excellent Canon user interface.

Cheers

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

Roger – true enough… the TL500 will clearly be a competitor to the G11, S90, and LX3. Likely they all share the same sensor (perhaps not with the LX3). My interest is peaked by the 24mm wide lens and aperture range of 1.8 to 2.4. Bummed that it doesn't have an OVF or HD video and is a bit on the portly side. Though, I'm glad to see more camera's enter this niche market.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Had a play with that a few weeks ago but missed out taking some shots the other day because as I entered the shop a guy was buying the only one available.
    Curiously he had intended to buy the Leica D Lux 4 (Pana LX 3 ). The leica was in stock.
    From memory the handling (ergonomics) was pretty good, I liked the screen but was not too sure about the colours and contrast most likely due to the different look from the OLED screen (bright and detailed)
    Samsung is definitely a contender.
    ( Called EX1 here ).
    Franco

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Yes, the S90 and the G11 could be called the same camera with different features. The S90 is the lower-cost consumer version; the G11 is the higher performance prosumer version.

Cheers

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

Apparently the compact 43 sensor rumor is now believed to be false. The new rumor is a smaller m43 camera to be announced august/september. For me this is less interesting unless it is ridiculously light. I'll probably go for the sony nex.

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

I've been waiting for a review of the Samsung for some time since I bought an S90 last spring . I specifically envied the hotshoe , the articulated screen for shooting above one's head in crowds or from the waist when shooting Street. I like the S90's double ring approach very much. Too bad the review doesn't get into performance with A Samsung flash vs. the similar Panasonic set-up. And I really envy that IR trigger for tripod work . So much better than a self timer. I'm sure it would be a great aid when shooting at night with a tripod as well. The S90 is still much more pocket-able. I suspect a new s90 is coming out soon given this months price drop on the existing model.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools