Topic

MYO Hexamid Solo?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYO Hexamid Solo?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Brian Ahlers

@bahlers7

Locale: Idaho

Has anyone tried to make a Hexamid tarp or tent? I ask because I am working on a sil version of one right now and want to know if anyone has successfully completed one? I'm doing a modified tent version of one with a bathtub floor. Oh, and this is my first tent or tarp that I have ever made :) Will follow up with my results and photos if and when I complete it, haha!

Jason Hung
    BPL Member

@moma-moma

Locale: store.picharpak.com

nice pls post more photo after you finish!!
    what kind of joining method you going to use glue or stitch?

Brian Ahlers

@bahlers7

I'm stitching everything and then I'll seam seal. I've currently got the 3 roof pieces sewed together along with the front side of no see-um and zipper in. I'm taking photos as I go but I'm not going to post anything until I'm finished. So far it's looking pretty rad though! :)

Brian Ahlers

@bahlers7

Getting close! Just have to reinforce the corners and attach some guyout loops and guylines. (I think) : ) Too bad I have to work tonight or I could be finished.

Matthew Bishop
    BPL Member

@mattsbishop

Locale: Iowa

Yeah, I made two recently which I dubbed the 'pentamid' :) I made some cutting mistakes on the first one that I didn't notice until it was too late. The second and much better one is based on a 5×8 tarp pitched -mid fashion and while a bit cramped, is effective. I put 45mm catenary curves on the seams to give it a taut pitch. Unfortunately the curves rob it of some usable space, but otherwise it's a flappy mess.

Here's a pic from the rear; if you like I could take photos from other angles:
    'Pentamid' tarp tent

I've also got CAD drawings of shelter dimensions and pattern pieces, but I'm not sure about the ethics of posting such data for a shelter so strongly based on a commercial design.

I just discovered that those CAD drawings are on my laptop which I just killed and won't be getting to any time soon :|

Evan Brodfuehrer

@burtonboarder84

Mathew,
    I am fairly new to making my own gear. I have made a silnylon flat tarp. I was wondering how you make catenary curves. If I make another tarp do I need to cut 2 halves. Then sew them together? How do you mark and cut the "curves" so you get the catenary design? Thanks!
    -Evan

Misfit Mystic

@cooldrip

Locale: "Grand Canyon of the East"

Hi Evan, since you're a member check out Roger Caffin's article on catenary curves in the MYOG article section. Excellent info on calculating curves, and also techniques and ideas for the cutting and sewing of them.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
    John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Evan,

I found this spreadsheet courtesy of Lance Marshall very helpful in figuring out how to plot out the deflection per length of ridgeline.

http://www.wvi.com/~ulmyog/catenarycurve.xls

Party On,

Newton

Evan Brodfuehrer

@burtonboarder84

thanks!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools