Topic

#3 waterproof zipper

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear #3 waterproof zipper

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Chris Jackson

@chris_jackson

Several online stores offer a ykk #5 waterproof zipper. Is a smaller size available for DIY’ers? The zipper doesn’t have to be the ykk brand, but it does need to be water resistant; I’m planning to add waterproof ankle zips to a pair of golite reed pants, ideally zipper size #3.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Thru-Hiker sells a #3 waterproof zipper.
    #3 Waterproof Zipper

Chris Jackson

@chris_jackson

Thanks Bill. I don’t know how I missed that. I looked at thru-hiker a week or so ago, and only saw the #5.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Chris, It might be a new item. I ordered a Vest Kit and asked about the zipper. Paul said he had the #3 WaterProof Zippers and I got a piece 129″ long.

I always ask if he has anything new that isn’t on the web site when I talk to him.

I am not sure I ever saw it on his web site but I knew I had some.

Back to the Pertex stuff. I really like the Thru-Hiker Momentum90. Its true weight is +/- 1oz a sq yard.

My vest will use the Momentum90 for both the shell and lining. I am using Climasheld XP as my insulation.

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

Hi,

Thru-hiker.com has added the ykk #3 coil water resistant zippers sold by the foot. The reg #3 coil is about 10gms/yd and the water ressistant is about 12gm/yd and the #5 WR is about 20gm/yd. I’ve been using the #3 WR on bags and bivys for a while. The WR design eliminates the need for a draft flap on most bags/ items and the added stiffness works fairly well as an anti snag strip. Regular #3 zips pulls and double sided zip pulls both work on the WR. Note that single sided pulls are WR specific and face backwards and so I recommend using the double sided pulls for convienience. Putting on the pulls is very easy since the edges are stiffer than the reg #3. The #3 is a bit more fragile but I have not have any return or complaints yet. AS will any SUlL item VS a heavy weight item, a bit more care is required. Lube the zip from time to time.

-Ron

Chris Jackson

@chris_jackson

Ron, thanks for the helpful hints and weights for the waterproof zippers. I’ve ordered the #3 zipper and double-sided pulls from thru-hiker.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools