Topic

Quilt Sizing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Quilt Sizing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Steve Small

@lustreking

I'm planning on making a down summer quilt, probably close to this design. I've never used a quilt before, so I don't know how to go about sizing it for me.

Are there any guides or guidelines for sizing a quilt with a drawstring footbox?

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Steve,

http://enlightenedequipment.com/sizing.htm

There is also a quilt weight calculator spreadsheet on this same site.

Party On,

Newton

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

If after checking out my site (listed above) you have any more questions just let me know. Even though i make quilts i always love to help people make their own.

-Tim

Steve Small

@lustreking

Hi Tim,

I actually did check out your page on quilt sizing (also played with your spreadsheet), but assumed that your recommendations were for a finished quilt size. I'm not sure how much length is lost when you gather the foot with a drawstring.

Any thoughts?

-Steve

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

i think my site covers that also.

I add 4" to user height for synthetic and 6" for down. i add 2" to my dims for seams (1" seam allowance) but sew at 1/2"- 3/4"(1/2" for down 3/4" for synthetic) to assure that i am always bigger than i need to be.

-Tim

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

If you use baffle heights that are shorter than loft heights, remember to factor in linear shrinkage! For instance, a sew thru quilt with 1.75" loft will lose 6-10" depending on length.

Using shorter baffles has advantages though, I like to do them atleast 25% shorter than desired loft. It add a better aesthetic and provides greater down control (less prone to shifting together and leaving unequal loft areas).

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

i use baffles 1/4" narrower than the desired loft. For me this give the desired control, aesthetic and limits the amount of length lost to loft. Also the 6" length addition mentioned above helps to mitigate the length lost to loft issue.

-Tim

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools