Topic

Solo Summer Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Solo Summer Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

I have been backpacking for about a year now. My gear list is in my profile. I have had a goal to get down to sub 10 pound base this year. This is my newest gear list.

Keep in mind, This time last year, I had a 21 pound base weight….

As for the 2 bladders. They are part of a gravity filtration system. You can view it here:

http://www.geartalkwithjasonklass.com/2008/09/my-new-water-filter-design.html

Unknown abc

@edude

looks nice!

happy hiking :)

Jeffrey Stylos
    Spectator

@jsstylos

Locale: Northeast

Looks good.

No rain gear or jacket? I guess you don't need them hiking down in the Southeast — that's almost enough to make me want to move down there!

Stephen P

@spavlock

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Lookin good. Can you repackage some of your creams, sunscreen, toothpaste, etc into smaller dropper bottles to cut some of that weight or have you already done that? Check out USplastics.com

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Overall that looks like a nice list, however since you posted this up for a review, I will post a few suggestions:

1. I realize socks are a personal thing, and obviously you don’t want to mess up what works for you, but 3.6oz for spare socks seems like a lot for summer.

2. I would switch the heavy Thermarest stuff sack to a sil stuff sack and just fill it with any extra clothes, raingear, etc.

3. 5 liters seems like a lot of water to carry in the southeast. I never carry over 2 liters at a time.

4. For solo use, you could go to a smaller cook pot and save a little weight

5. I would drop the cup and just eat and drink out of my cookpot.

6. You might repackage some of your toiletries and personal care items into smaller quantities. Half an ounce of Advil is quite a bit, as is 3oz of DEET. I might drop the sunscreen altogether as you don’t hike in the sun much in the southeast.

7. I would replace the Kershaw with a smaller, lighter, knife like the Gerber Mini LST, the Spyderco Ladybug, or the Swiss Army Classic

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

RH – Is that Greeter Falls (Savage Gulf) in your profile pic?

Jeff – It isn't that is doesn't rain A LOT here, the Smokies get 100 inches of rain per year, but in the summer it is hot and rain gear isn't always needed at the lower elevations. I avoid the low elevations in summer, so I always take something, but it is a personal thing.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

In contrast to Brad, I take no rain gear in the Summer at any elevation. I tried it initially and found myself just as wet with it on as without it so I quit carrying the weight. Instead, I just get wet and walk it dry. Most showers here are scattered and don't last an entire day.

Trevor Wilson
    BPL Member

@trevor83

Locale: ATL -- Zurich -- SF Bay Area

@Chris – do you take extra clothing to change into with this approach or do you find that your shirt/shorts dry out in time for going to sleep?

Thanks!

Paul Wozniak

@paulw

Locale: Midwest

RH,

You have a nice gear list. Since you are asking:

Easy:
    Leave either the towel or bandana home. Opt out of the heavier towel.
    Leave the 3.6 oz bladder home unless 3L is truly not enough.
    Leave 2.25 oz pack cover home, you have WP stuff sacks. If they're not large enought opt instead for one trash compactor bag in place of all.

Harder:
    Beg, borrow or steal a lighter pad. You don't need an insulated pad now. Anything, from an uninsulated air pad for comfort to a CCF if you can tolerate it.

Hardest are core gear issues that you don't need to address because your gear is light, but there is the potential to drop ~ 2.5 lbs there without much compromise (except to your wallet).

PW

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

@Jeffrey
    The places I usually hike has so much tree cover that I rarely take any rain gear. If I do, I usually just carry an extremely light poncho

@Brad

1. Your right, I could probably get some lighter socks, ditch the extra socks all together, or possibly just carry extra liners?
    2. Thats good point. I will try that next outing.
    3. I shouldnt have 5 liters on there, my bladder only holds 2 Liters. EDIT: Actually just looked, I only listed 2 liters of water. Did I miss something?
    If you are referring to the bladders it is part of this gravity system: http://www.geartalkwithjasonklass.com/2008/09/my-new-water-filter-design.html
    4. Do you have a particular one you recommend?
    5. I guess you are right, the cup can be somewhat of a luxury. I just like to have a hot drink while I am eating.
    6. Repackaging is something I have not even started to do. 2 nights ago I ordered some dropper bottles from BPL store so I will get that stuff repackaged and post back.
    7. Have you had any experience with that 34g knife in the BPL store? I thought about getting that when it was back in stock.

And yes, that is Greeter Falls in my Profile Pic. My wife and I love that place.

Thanks for the suggestions Brad (see you in the fall on the begginner trip by the way)

@Trevor

I have found that my clothing dries out fast enough. Even when I hiked 2 weekends ago the Heat Index was 102. I was soaked with sweat. I washed off my clothes and they were dry in just a few hours.

@Paul

The extra water bladder is for a gravity filtration system. I built the system recommended by Jason Klass. You can view the video here.

http://www.geartalkwithjasonklass.com/2008/09/my-new-water-filter-design.html

Can you go into more detail about the harder stuff (where you said I could drop potentially 2.5 lbs?)

Paul Wozniak

@paulw

Locale: Midwest

RH,

I can give examples from gear I am most familiar with. There are other options that fit the bill too. Examples:

MLD Patrol tarp ~ 9 oz; save 10 oz
    MLD Bug bivy ~5.5 oz, save 10 oz
    WM Summerlite sleep bag or some brand quilt, save 8 to 15 oz
    If all of these, then a ligher pack at 16 oz (GG, MLD, ULA to name a few), save 20 oz

Just realize you have quality light gear and are at the point of diminishing returns now. Not to mention personal preference and all that. You are plenty light enough to enjoy the hike and virtually forget the load.

Many happy trails.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Looking forward to meeting you RH.

3. I didn’t put 2+2 together that that was part of a gravity water filter system? I would be interested to see how well that works in the field.

4. I have, and like the 2.7oz BPL Firelite 550, but I also like the Evernew 3.4oz 600 mL pot.

7. I have (but rarely use) a 0.6oz Spyderco Ladybug. I just don’t find that I need a knife in the backcountry. I also have and recommend the 0.6oz Gerber Mini LST, and for a larger blade, the 1.3oz Gerber LST is hard to beat. I am not sure how safe the BPL knife looks to me, though I do not have any direct experience.

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

Looking forward to meeting you RH.
    And you as well!

3. I didn’t put 2+2 together that that was part of a gravity water filter system? I would be interested to see how well that works in the field.
    I did not make that clear. I realized that when two of you made that comment. Actually the 0.9 liter bladder is not even a full bladder, it is cut and is used as a “scoop” to pour water in the dirty bladder. It actually only weights 0.189 ounce I just have not updated the weight. I have not used this system yet, it is replacing my Hiker Pro. So a big weight savings for me. I may ditch the setup and just use the tablets if it does not work well. But I really dislike drinking murky water.

4. I have, and like the 2.7oz BPL Firelite 550, but I also like the Evernew 3.4oz 600 mL pot.
    I might just order that Evernew.

7. I have (but rarely use) a 0.6oz Spyderco Ladybug. I just don’t find that I need a knife in the backcountry. I also have and recommend the 0.6oz Gerber Mini LST, and for a larger blade, the 1.3oz Gerber LST is hard to beat. I am not sure how safe the BPL knife looks to me, though I do not have any direct experience.
    Now that you say that, I probably do not use it enough to warrant bringing a knife. I carry that knife everyday, but I am trying to think back about how many times I have used it? Maybe I should pay more attention on my next trip.

Spencer Rush

@spencer-rush

You could drop the SMD Haven+Net Tent and get the SMD Wild Oasis which has no see um netting built in to keep the bugs at bay. This option would drop your gear weight by 21 ounces.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools