Topic

Mosquitos Aargh! — Need Advise

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Mosquitos Aargh! — Need Advise

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Luymes Ted

@start2day

Locale: So Cal.

I just returned from a week in the Sierra Nevada. I’m the guy who bathes in DEET, wears long sleeves and pants, yet somehow comes away with 4 times the stings as anyone else. In three weeks I’m going to an even buggier place.

There’s got to be a better way to deal with mosquitos without overheating in long sleeves and pants.

Please help!

John Chan

@ouroboros

Maybe you should try some of the newer formulations of DEET.

I’ve experienced really good results with 3M’s Ultrathon. Its like Deep Woods Off on steriods. I usually put a thin layer of it on my exposed skin (legs, arms, back of neck) and I’m good for at least 8 hours while I’m at the crags. A 2 oz tube doesn’t really weigh that much and will last you a long, long time.

Also, wear light colors to discourage mosquitos from flocking to you.

Nathan Moody
    BPL Member

@atomick

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I was in the Sierras (Hope Valley and elsewhere) that very same weekend. The skeeters were totally out of control, you’re right. My companion had a rather spectacular failure using Natrapel, and like the previous poster I was using 3M Ultrathon.

The 3M Ultrathon I used was awesome. I found that with sweat I did have to reapply it – and as a lotion it didn’t work on clothing as a spray would – but I tested it at Lake Audrian (off the PCT) and Hope Valley, sitting perfectly still and tempting the little buggers with shorts and a t-shirt … *very* few bites, really, considering the hellish density of the insect. I was quite impressed.

We also used 33% DEET Deep Woods Off on our clothing when the Ultrathon ran low and had fairly good results.

I’ll let you know if I grow a tail or second head from all those chemicals. :-“,atomick”

Mark Regalia
    BPL Member

@markr

Locale: Santa Cruz

I use Ultrathon. It stinks upon application but quickly loses its smell. I like it because it lasts longer than standard forumlations. Consumer Reports just released their most recent test results. 100% DEET once again was the most effective, with Ultrathon coming in second, aided by its longevity. The “natural” repellants rated at the bottom.

Andrew Hedges

@alhedges

Ultrathon is great.

I don’t think DEET works on clothes; if you know you are going to a buggy place, you should probably apply some permethrin to your clothes before you go – it works well and lasts a couple of weeks. You might also apply it to tent screens and mosquito headnets.

david fausnight

@rckjnky

Ive always heard that Deet in high enough concentrations could melt some synthetic fabrics. Ive never managed to do this myself. But, I have seen the face of a cheap watch that had melted after exposure.

cat morris

@catt

Locale: Alaska

On a recent trip up by Denali, DEET drops took the color right out of spots on my sunblock shirt and (sigh!) my go-lite gortex jacket. Luckily, it didn’t effect the integrity of the gortex. I don’t usually use DEET, so this was a new experience.

From now on, I will never use DEET spray, only DEET in a roll-on. Same with sunscreen, roll-ons are so less messy.

Antonio Abad

@tonyabad

Just keep DEET away from any plastics and stretchy materials containing spandex/lyca. That includes stretchy softshell pieces. I prefer applying via lotion. Once I’m done with the application I pour some water on my palms and rinse them dry.

It’s my experience that a 20% delayed-release concentration is flawless in just about every situation in the Northeast. Please note that I sweat buckets no matter how much I skimp on layers. In that regard, the delayed-release stuff is gold! I base this not only while hiking (when black flies and the like have trouble keeping up) but while climbing (masochists would revel in belaying sans DEET in Spring up here).

IIRC, you don’t gain a lot more by going for any concentrations greater than 33%. That jives with my experiences.

I know some outdoors folks have pretty strong criticisms of DEET, but it’s right near the top of my essential list of gear. Given how much I sweat and how many critters I seem to attract, I don’t think I would be able to enjoy the outdoors without DEET.

Man, I didn’t even realize the stuff could be applied with a roll on! Thanks for the heads-up.

Happy trails!

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

I stopped using DEET after it melted my camera’s plastic lens cap! True, that doesn’t NECESSARILY mean it’s bad for me, but offhand I can’t think of anything else that melts plastic that isn’t bad for you.

I am also the mosquito magnet in a group. I’ve had good success with one non-DEET repellent – Bite Blocker (no, I’m not associated with the company in any way, just really like the stuff). You have to apply more often than DEET (I generally refresh it after a couple of hours), but it has tested to be about equal to 20% DEET in trials. It has worked well for me even in bad Sierra mosquito times. The other non-DEET repellent which tested even better was 30% oil of lemon eucalyptus (found in a few commercial repellents); I plan to try that when my Bite Blocker runs out.

I also wear long sleeved nylon shirts and pants when it’s not too hot.

Alan Vos

@bigal74

I bought some 30% lemon Eucalyptus oil repellent. I was very sceptical at first so I also brought some deet just in case. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked for me, I did have to re-apply every 4-5 hours but it seemed to work just as well as the deet. I also try and wear light weight pants and long sleeve when the temp. allows.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools