Topic

cooking fish

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara cooking fish

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

Locale: Morrison, CO

i would think that the simplest way to cook your catch would be to bring some aluminum foil and some olive oil/spices, and just stick the fish in the coals till you think it's done. however, i was thinking grilling over a grid would make it easier since the fire could be much smaller.

However, the only two light grid options i've found are the steel Coghlans/Open country grill at 14 ounce (but cheap at around $10) or the 1 ounce titanium grill offered through BPL at what i feel to be a ridiculous price.

Does anyone have any other grids or DIY options that work well for grilling some fish over an open fire?

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

you can use one of the two little grills that comes with a little hibachi (i got one for $9 at a drugstore). without the handle they are pretty light (i never bothered to weigh it, so i'm not sure how light)

you can also use steel wire mesh and cut it to whatever size you like–stainless is better than galvanized but a little harder to get in small quantities

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

There is a thread in the MYOG section that has this very thing- do a search and you will find what you are looking for.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

The lightest, easiest way to cook (small) trout is to gut and gill the trout, then put the trout on a pointed green stick. Push the stick through the trout near the tail, again near mid-body, and then through the gill cover or mouth. Salt the trout ( I Like a mix of salt, garlic powder and cayenne pepper), then push the butt end of the stick into the ground next to a small fire. The fish should be done in 10-15 minutes, depending on size, heat of fire, etc. Eat the trout while it's still on the stick.

If the fish tends to slide down the stick while cooking, place a short second stick through the tail stick hole at right angles to the main stick.

This is the method used by Daniel G. of Tenkara USA, except he uses sea salt.

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

Search BPL for "cookie cooling rack" to read about a grill option weighing a lot less than the Coghlans/Open Country 14 ounce grill but more than BPL's one ounce ti grill.

Here's one result (of many that pop up) from a search at BPL for "cookie cooling rack" —

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews?forum_thread_id=5322&cat=Cookware%20%2D%20Other&cid=44

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

i went on a fishing/backpacking trip yesterday, and i caught a few trout. i tried three different methods (in the coals, on a small grill from an old toaster oven, and on a grampa's fire fork.)
    I like the grampa's fire fork better than just shoving a stick through, and i think it worked the best. it also weights next to nothing and i don't have to have foil to do it.
    I just gave the fish a light coating of olive oil, and then seasoned it with a mix of mrs. dash and salt. it was excellent.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Great idea! I'll have to try that – with salt!

Gad the technique worked for you – I like it cuz it's so simple and doesn't require anything heavy! Not to mention that it tastes great!

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

yeah. i really like the grampa's firefork. that way i didn't need to widdle a live tree branch. i just used a dead stick and it couldn't slide off. it also weighs next to nothing (around a half ounce)

Paul Vertrees
    BPL Member

@sawtooth

Locale: Southern Colorado Rockies

I've always used olive oil, but just started using McCormick Grill Mates Garlic & Onion medley. Man, is it good!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

you can make your own lightweight grill relatively easy, this one weighs 1.4 oz and nests completely inside itself

for backpacking I just take a small amount of lemon pepper- season well, grill and enjoy :)

Photobucket

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools