Topic

VA/NC Trip Ideas

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips VA/NC Trip Ideas

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I was getting a bit bored with trail hikes so I had planned on a really cool cross country trip in Colorado. Unfortunately I broke my left wrist. Now I'm in Lynchburg Virginia recovering and getting bored.

I'm looking for some 20 to 50 mile hikes in the area to keep me occupied while I mend, preferreably they would be…
    1. High so its scenic and not too hot.
    2. Not too far away.
    3. As remote and "wild" as possible given that its not Colorado or Montana.
    4. No serious rock scrabbling since I'm in a splint.

I've been all over Grayson highlands and the local AT so something new might be nice. I can't rock scramble so I had my doublts about Linville Gorge (heard it was really steep).
    Anyone got a great idea?

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Anybody here been to Shining Rocks Wildernes? Sounds like one of the better places I could go without driving all the way down to the Smokies.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I have. It's a great spot. Google the Art Loeb trail, it runs right through the area. The Mountains To Sea trail also runs through the area.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Thanks Chris. Any way to beat the crowds or is that just part of the deal? Any other spots around there I should check out? I know Cold Mountain is to the north and looked a bit more isolated that the Art Loeb Trail so I might try and hit both at one time.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I've never seen bad crowds here. I usually park around Black Balsam Knob and hop on there. You can definitely get to Cold Mountain as it's just north of the actual Shining Rock but my understanding is there isn't much to see. Most of the other peaks in the area offer much nicer views.As this is a wilderness area, the trails aren't marked or labeled (except the Art Loeb and Mountains to Sea).

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Much apprieciated Chris, I hope to get down there fairly soon. It was my understaning that Shining Rock had some of the better scenery but that it was a bit crowded. If its not croweded than thats awesome news. I figure I'll attempt to get down on weekdays just to be safe.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Shining rocks area itself can get really crowded on the weekends for sure.

If you don't mind an in and out, the Black Mtns. are as high as you can get. You won't see many people on most of it. If you start at the Craggy Gardens visitor center on the BRP and head north on the MST to Mt. Mitchell and on out to Celo Knob it would be about 50 miles round trip. Many points over 6000' and never below 5000 feet the whole way.

I understand Linville is even rougher than normal because of so many blow downs from this winters storms.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Thanks Alex, now that you mentioned it a friend said he liked the Black Mtns. better than any other area in NC (that was many moons ago). I'll check into it, thanks for the heads up on Linville Gorge, I'm dying to check it out but I figure it will be safer and more fun to wait till later (probalby more pleasant in September too I would guess).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools