Topic

Recommend good day hikes in Glacier National Park

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Recommend good day hikes in Glacier National Park

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Joe Newton
    BPL Member

@grayjoe

A good friend of mine and her husband will be in Glacier National Park sometimes of the first and second weeks of August for 5 to 6 days. They are interested in doing some day hiking and possibly one overnight hike. Any recommendations for some good day hikes in the park. I am sure there are many. I have searched the forums but most of the discussion concerns multiday hikes. Thanks.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

A day hike on which your friends would have some solitude is the Belly River, in the Park's northeast corner. The trailhead is located just south of the Canadian border station on the east side. Very scenic and they can go as far as they like, then return. Decent fishing (no license needed) and wide open scenery.

The more famous hikes in the Park tend to be crowded in summer, but well worth the trouble.

If they want to do an overnight, camping is restricted to established sites and a permit is required.

Jack Newton

@figster

Locale: Central Arkansas

Gunsight Lake! Good times.

Siyeh Pass… delicious!

Jack

Richard Rini
    BPL Member

@rarini

Locale: Southeast

Joe,

I'll be in Glacier the same time your friends will be as well. My wife and I will be staying on the east side of the park Many Glacier area (Swift Current Lodge). This will be my third time to the park so I have some familiarity with some nice day hikes. In my opinion, that area has some of the best day hiking. You can hit Ptarmigan Tunnel, swift current pass (and the outlook with great views, Iceberg lake and Grinnel Glacier too name a few.

They are certainly invited to join us if they would like as well (we are traveling with another couple as well)

PM me If you would like to put them in touch with me.

Ric

Joe Newton
    BPL Member

@grayjoe

Thanks Richard L, Jack and Richard R for your responses. I will give my friends the information. Joe

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Yes. Do those suggested hikes out of East Glacier. A good week-end hike would be north into the Canadian Park and to the wonderful hotel built in the "railroad days." Waterton, National Park

http://www.watertonpark.com/

From Google:

http://www.bigskyfishing.com/National_parks/glacier/hiking_overview.shtm

Joe Newton
    BPL Member

@grayjoe

Thanks Frank. I will pass the info on to Priscilla and Wayne.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools