Topic

Breakfast trail shake recipes?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Breakfast trail shake recipes?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jesse Engelberg
    BPL Member

@jaebpl

I'm heading out of the JMT in a few weeks, and have to finish up my food plan.

I'm considering bring some sort of breakfast shake, but can't find good recipes online. Most people seem to use some combination of instant milk, carnation instant breakfast or nestle quick, ensure, or premade protein drinks.

Has anyone out there made their own? What are the best tasting shakes that still have a high calorie count? Thanks!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Jesse
    There is a food forum in the General Forum section
    Franco

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Jesse,

I posted this for you in the food section as well:

http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/creamsicle-protein-smoothie

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I love Sarah's recipie for a breakfast shake! Get her book "Freezer Bag Cooling", it's in there.

Mat Tallman

@wehtam

Locale: Midwest

Nestle Nido, 1/2 cup, and 2 packets of carnation instant breakfast. Add 2 cups of cold water, enjoy.

I often times have instant breakfast in the mornings when I'm not hiking, so it seemed only natural to do the dry milk/instant breakfast thing while hiking.

I'd recommend having a bottle that's more than 16 oz so there's enough air in there to have some shaking room while you're mixing it up. 750 ml water bottles work well.

It's nice to be able to mix one of these up, take a few swigs, and shove it in my pack's side pockets for consumption as I walk. Spreads the carbs out to sustain energy, and saves time ordinarily wasted in camp cooking/eating/cleaning up.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

does it have to be a shake?

my top 2 breakfast choices are:

-sleeve of fig newtons
    -big texas cinammon roll

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools