Topic

Hot Summer Sleep System

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hot Summer Sleep System

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

Where I mostly camp, late May-August is brutal. Lows average in the mid 60s, but can vary from lows at 60-75. For when my wife goes, I have a summer coupler from WM, as well as an Alder MF bag. The coupler + 1 bag saves weight. However, this bag is too hot for that weather. Without the bag, the coupler is useless.

So what are some options for my wife and I for hot weather, and then also options for when I go solo? The UL 60 quilt looks like it was popular but no longer around. What are some other options? For myself, and then other options for both?

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I've been wrestling with this issue this summer as well. I'm tempted to go out with a silk liner and keep a down vest handy for the middle of the night cool down. Does anyone have any experience trying to make the summer work with silk and the right clothing combinations?

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

not to hijack this thread, but i picked up the 20oz synthetic lafuma extreme 600 and love it. will keep you warm down to about 55 without layering and packs down super small (about the size of a nalgene). best part, i got it at rei outlet for $29. full feature bag and it even has glow in the dark pulls which i love and have never seen before.

edit: just checked, rei still sells it, but now back up to 44 bucks?? you could use a 20% off i guess, but i liked the option a lot better at $29 bucks.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I just bought a cuben down quilt for summer, 1" loft for the warmer temps, and only 7.5 oz. Hope to use it soon and report back on how well it works.

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Doug, who made your cuben down quilt?

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

Tim did

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Doug, who made your cuben down quilt?"

Tim Marshall at enLIGHTened Equipment has made all three of my cuben down quilts!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Michael beat me to it!

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

Can't swing that price point. Other than making my own, are there any cheaper options? Preferably 20oz and below?

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

Like you Doug, I keep one eye here when at work.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

One thing I always ask people: what do you sleep under in your house? The thing is, a lot of people sleep under a down comforter in a 65* house… and expect to go out on a trip and sleep under something thinner than what they use at home. Just saying to exercise some caution; I doubt a (silk) sheet would do the trick.

You might check out the MityLite instead of your Alder; it's a 40* bag and would save a little weight. If that's still too hot for you, easiest thing to do might be to just sew a square blanket out of Climashield. It'd be as easy as making a few long straight stitches. Shouldn't be too expensive.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Does anyone have any experience trying to make the summer work with silk and the right clothing combinations?"

I sewed a silk sleeping bag liner to use with a down bag, but it was mostly to help keep the down bag inside clean for a couple of weeks. 2 oz.

–B.G.–

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

I'll let you guys know. I'll be doing a 40 mile trek on July 4th in Virginia and will use only the silk liner with my Superlight bivy (and tarp) for a couple sultry nights in a row. I'll have an Icebreaker microweight baselayer and down vest handy should I need to ensure I'm warm enough in the middle of the night. If this works, it'll be a weight appropriate mid-summer part of my sleep system.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Here's what I do:

1. Wet Wipes — I like to wipe myself down with antibacterial wet wipes. Cuts way down on stench and makes you feel cool, smooth and comfy. I hate crawling into my bag when feeling grimy, sweaty, sticky and hot.

2. Silk long underwear — When it's hot, it's hot — but silk seems to be the best option. I prefer long underwear over tee / shorts because I sleep on my side and dislike the sweaty "skin on skin" feel.

3. Light weight bag that opens up flat like a quilt — for max. venting options from very partial coverage to full "engulfment".

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Off topic: I remember one rather sultry night in Sudan. We had jumped in and marched to our bivouc area for the evening: a series of cement structures without doors or windows. Not much of a breeze that evening. Very hot and humid. I laid naked on an Army air mattress with only an Army poncho liner covering me. Discarded the poncho liner and just laid on the mattress sweating all night. Not fun! But, ah, those were the days!

Luke Moffat
    BPL Member

@alaska_lanche

Just picked up a WM Alder and a WM Mitylite. Since they can be zipped together it will make for a toasty setup into the low 20s I imagine. Plus on really warm nights (like you mentioned) my wife and I will be able to share the mitylite. When temps are dipping down to 40 or so we can share the Alder. Plus we'll have to stand alone bags. The weight penalty of the mitylite vs. the no insulation summer coupler is only 6 oz and it gives you a real bag. All this sounds good in theory, but will be putting it into practice here shortly.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

Maybe something like a Jacks R Better Stealth? I used a Shenandoah(same as the Stealth but no head-hole) last year in the Sierra's and found it good down to 40 degrees. Didn't use it outdoors in 60-65 degree temps, but did test in in my apartment, which, as Brad pointed out, was probably in the mid to low 60s at night. Any time I got warm(and I did) I vented.

It would also save you having to bring along any insulated jacket.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

@Doug:

Methinks wearing a thin layer (undies) to help absorb some of the sweat is actually preferable to lying naked.

You were lucky that hot and humid place didn't also have tons of skeeters.

Scott Ireland
    BPL Member

@winterwarlock

Locale: Western NY

I ran into this last summer myself, and picked up one of Thermarest's Tech Blankets…might be too heavy for some of you, but it worked out well for me.

http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/sleep-systems/trek-and-travel-sleep-systems/tech-blanket/product

Added the sheet so as to not feel stuck to my pad with the humidity.

http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/sleep-systems/trek-and-travel-sleep-systems/fitted-sheet/product

( I don't know how some of you embed links within the text…)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

@Ben

Agreed! But I was young and foolish! I'm much wiser now that I'm old and foolish! ;-)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Sea to Summit makes several liners that might make good hot weather bags.

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/cat/1

Scott Ireland
    BPL Member

@winterwarlock

Locale: Western NY

Ah – that reminded me…I bought a silk liner as well, but from this small company in New Zealand. Was actually cheaper than anything in the US, and wasn't just a white or grey bag…lots of choices, and customer service and delivery were fantastic.

http://www.jagbags.co.nz/products.htm

Scott

John Frederick Anderson
    BPL Member

@fredfoto

Locale: Spain

I travelled around the tropics for a couple of years including some mountain spells, and the best sleep system I found was:
    Silk bag liner- 100g
    Pashmina blanket- 300g
    mosquito net.
    I just wore my clothes if it was cold.

If you can't get a pashmina then try a merino blanket- see here:
    http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/Textiles/uncoated/Merino-wool-single-jersey-200g-qm::885.html?XTCsid=a5ca480bd8c2c0797f6b6eaa4875b8d2
    I reckon a merino blanket, 2m long by 100cm wide would come in at +/-350g. Wool packs up very small, doesn't need washing so much.

I hope this helps.
    fred

Nobody You Know

@dirtbagliving

Locale: Colorado

Use what I used while in the Army. Just google Army Poncho Liner. It's a quilted mylon blanket. I still have one to this day.

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

That looks like a good option. If I could just find out how much the ones I am finding on google weigh…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools