Topic

tarp poles in wind

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) tarp poles in wind

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ben Gregory

@bengregory

Could some tarp tent owner please help me with this?

I purchased a smd lunar duo (which I've yet to see, as I'm away from home) a few months ago, and I'm now planning on using it for a trip to the islands of Scotland.

The thing that I'm wondering is how the supporting poles can stay in place in strog winds. There are apparently no grommets at the base of the tent, and the poles just rest on the ground.

How can they possibly be stable in a storm if they are not secured at the base? Wouldn't they get knocked away rather easily?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question – I just want to go sleep certain that I won't wake up in the Atlantic ocean!

Thanks very much for any feedback!

Adam Criswell

@macrophyllum

Locale: Northern California

I have the Lunar Duo and I think can help with your question. The hiking pole handles do rest on the ground but as long as the length is adjusted correctly they will be very secure. I have accidentally knocked them a few times getting in and out and have never had them fall over. When you have all the lines staked out firmly and with the pole height correct they are very stable.
    However, the large surface area of the tent catches wind. Combine that with the tendancy for silnylon to stretch and you will have a loud flapping tent. You will probably need to readjust the tension in your lines at least 1 or 2 times over the course of a night if the wind is consistent. If you are expecting greater than 40 mph winds I would be hesistant to use this tent. My experience in wind with the Lunar Duo is limited and I may not have had it set up optimally but I have had a couple of very poor nights sleep due to the loudness and worry that the seams will not withstand the force. I have noticed fabric pulling away from the seams where the little curved poles fit into sleaves on the roof of the tent during and after windy conditions. I applied extra seam sealer to try and strengthen those areas and haven't had a failure so far. But I haven't had it out in wind over 35 mph.
    I am not familiar with the conditions in Scotland but I am pretty sure you will not get blown away. But if the winds are sufficiently strong you may have seam failure on the tent and that would be a problem. I would suggest contacting Ron Moak and asking his opinion he may have some suggestions for making it more storm worthy.

Hope that helps.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

With most tarps and tarp tents, there is enough tension to keep the poles in place if it is properly pitched. The only concern is if you hit the pole with enough force to move it. With a plain tarp, I can pitch it with trekking poles using the point in the ground or the handle on the ground with adequate tension, depending on the soil. SMD sells carbon fiber poles that should be just fine. Depending on where you set it up and weather conditons, you may have to adjust guyline tension during the night, as silnlyon does have a tendency to sag a little.

I would be more concerned with managing condensation, than whether the poles will work.

Ben Gregory

@bengregory

Thanks a lot for your help.

I understand the islands can get a bit windy, and I think condensation may indeed be an issue. Maybe I should just take a double-skin tent.

I love the way the lunar duo seems to open up fully on both sides, though!

Would be lovely on a hot day.

Hmmm…

Adam Criswell

@macrophyllum

Locale: Northern California

I have been very happy with the lunar duo, it is spacious and the double doors are great!

Condensation should be manageable, if you carry a small cloth or pack towel, they are useful for wiping down the inside of the tent. I do this in the morning before packing it up if there was some condensation.

Enjoy your trip.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I don't own a Lunar Duo. I do have the Haven which is similar.
    The LD has additional tie-outs to reduce flapping in strong winds.
    I have heard cases where people complained about flapping, but they didn't bother to use the additional tie-outs.

It looks like the shape of the Lunar Duo would be very stable, if the additional tie-outs were used and the lines tightened a couple times before you go to bed.

You could also add your own tie-outs if you find a particular panel on the tent seems to flap in winds.

The small gap combined with the bathtub floor should do well in Scottish horizontal rain, but you probably want to partially open the vestibule on calms nights to reduce condensation.

Ben Gregory

@bengregory

Thank you, Adam and Steven, you've put all thoughts of unwanted marine submersion out of my mind.

I'll report back on how it handles the morning dew and the odd hurricane.

Thanks again.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools