Topic

Lightweight pants & shirt to keep the sun off. What are the options?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight pants & shirt to keep the sun off. What are the options?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

I'd like to have something light, comfortable and cool enough for summer hiking with no frills. What would you suggest and why?

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska
    Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

My preference is Rail Rider eco mesh pants and shirts. Fairly frill free, except for the side zippers on the outside of the pant legs, but you will appreciate the cooling properties of the mesh in really hot weather.

BPL Thorofare clothing is the absolute lightest and frill free clothing I have seen. But for me they don't breathe well enough for where I hike. Others here swear by them.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Tan REI Saraha pants with a white Golite LS BL-1. Plus I cut up an XXL white Capilene 1 shirt to put on my shaved head and it's held in place with a SuperVisor.

Works great out west but I did a 48 mile dayhike Saturday in very warm and humid NC on the AT and I switched back to my SS Capilene 1 T because the LS was just too hot. In the Sierra this setup has worked well to keep from having to goop suntan lotion all over my all the time.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Ditto on REI Sahara shirts, pants and shorts. I have some Ex Officio shirts and pants that are good for hot weather too. Definately go for the lighter colors.

If you need sun protection, Solumbra makes a whole line of clothing for those who can't tolerate direct sunlight. Spendy stuff.

PM me if you wear men's XL.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools