Topic

Soliciting advice on Isle Royale

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Soliciting advice on Isle Royale

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I'm headed up to the magic island next week with my sister and parents in tow. I'm looking for advice, both general and with regards to a few points in particular.

-Details on the Minong Ridge trail would be welcome. Rocky? Lots of short up and downs? I've heard tell that it is more scenic than Greenstone, especially in the western reaches, and that north shore campsites are a good place to avoid the bugs.

-Were planning on hiking Minong to the mines, then Greenstone over to Rock Harbor. Any campsites along the way that are especially desireable? Any must see stuff?

-Anything else? (Besides that the bugs will be present.)

Andy Berner
    BPL Member

@berner9

Locale: Michigan

I wish I could help you. This is where I was originally planning on going before my colorado/utah trip this August. Im gonna stay tuned to this thread.

Enjoy your trip.

Steve Parr
    BPL Member

@srparr

Locale: SE Michigan

Magic island indeed! Been up there 8 time so far; my next trip is schedule in about 3 weeks.

The Minong is the toughest trail on the island, with lots of ups/downs/rocks. That said, the views are tremendous. Of the campsites, Little Todd & Todd Harbor are my favorite on the north shore, while I find North Lake Desor my least favorite on the Minong. East Chickenbone seems among the least desireable camp grounds.

McCargo is a good place to include, and definitely explore the mine shafts near there. A great place on the web for specific route questions is at isleroyaleforums.com.

Enjoy the trip!

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Thanks Steve, just what I was looking for.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools