Topic

lightweight poles for pitching a tarp?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion lightweight poles for pitching a tarp?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    william hutchinson

@okuncool

Locale: midwest (boo hoo)

wondering if anyone out there has any advice on what i can pitch a tarp with above or below treeline. i am planning a thru hike of the pct and i am a tarp user. usually i would just pitch off a tree or use sticks but i know there will be sections where this is impossible. i also dont like trekking poles and i think it would be silly to carry them just to pitch my tarp, plus there has got to be a lighter weight option. any ideas?
    will

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US
    Peter King
    BPL Member

@pking

Locale: N. Nevada

You can buy whatever tent replacement pole you can find at your local store and use sections of it.

Here are poles for a low A-frame pitch. Small pole is 22g (0.8oz), large one is 51g (1.8oz):
    Tarp Poles

Another option is to use an ice axe:
    Helix as pole

william hutchinson

@okuncool

Locale: midwest (boo hoo)

wondering if those carbon fiber poles would be too flexible to pitch a tarp with. anyone had expierience with them.

christian madsen

@sherpachris

Locale: SoCal

I use a LuxuryLite Carbon Pole from luxurylite.com as a treking pole and to support my tarp. It breaks into three sections. I use two of them at the front of the tarp and the third to support the rear. The third section is a bit short so I add a 7″ extender. At about 4 ounces, the pole is super lightweight and very strong. I put signigicant weight on it when going downhill.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools