Topic

Trap

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Trap

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Charlie Dangerfield

@stueyd

Hi Guy's first post have been browsing for some time, great source of information.
    A quick run down on me,I'm 34 I live and hike in Australia am currently in the process of going UL. Starting to get the gear sorted got a GoLite Pinnacle homemade UL cookset,would love a Hiniken pot setup be we can't get those 24oz cans over here.

One of the last things I need is a UL tarp,but finding that hard to get over her and it has not help that my small business which was my only source of family income I have been forced to close, effects of past GFC.
    Would like to here if there are any cheap tarp options in the USA given my funds are almost zero.

The UL seems to still be way behind you guy's in the US, with my current tent my base weight is still over 10kg but my tent weights 3kg.

cheers
    Charlie

PS I hope to be able to contribute to this great forum.
    And I will post a gear list soon.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Would like to here if there are any cheap tarp options in the USA given my funds are almost zero."

Hi Charlie, and welcome to BPL.

Even a cheap tarp from the US is going to get pricier due to shipping cost. Were I you, given that funds are low, I'd PM your fellow Aussie, Roger Caffin, and inquire as to how to make a tarp and also local sources of lightweight material. He's a very accomplished do-it-yourselfer and also a veritable cornucopia of information.

Your cheapest US option is likely to be Gear Swap here on BPL. You might consider starting a "want to buy" thread specifying the kind of tarp you are interested in. They pop up fairly frequently as "want to sell" items, so I'd say your chances are pretty good for scoring one used at a very reasonable price that may offset the shipping penalty.

Cheers

Tom

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Charlie
    For your pot I suggest you look at Mitchells ,or other "disposal" stores in your area, for this type of pot.
    pot

This one is the 800ml version, 90g for the pot, 25g for the lid. (the knob is almost 10g, replace that with a bit of string)
    About $8 from memory.
    Franco

Charlie Dangerfield

@stueyd

Thanks Franco I use that pot now but what do you use for a bowl/cup

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I purchased some dates at a grocery store. They were packaged in a 15-ounce plastic bowl. It weighs a half-ounce. Perfect.

If I splurge, I carry two.

–B.G.–

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

Hi Charlie,

PM with what you are looking for, I have a few things that maybe of interest. I'm on the West Coast.

Cheers

Jeff Antig

@antig

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Do you guys have GSI products? The GSI cascadian cup is my favorite. $2GSI

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

Yeh sure do, Ranger Camping sell them here, nice and cheap but not as low as $2.

My Cup was from the $2 dollar store. Cutting the handles off meant that It will fit into most pots. I take a cup most times as I dont like to drink wine/port from metal :)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Charlie
    I am now using the "caddy" that comes with the TiTri Caldera Cone set up. (I bought the caddy separately as it was not available when I purchased the kit)
    The top is my mug ,the bottom my bowl, the two combined for re-hydrating.
    I have not seen that type of container here. (mine was from AntiGravity Gear)
    Before I used a Ti pot and a Lexan mug, then a few Decor bowls and later a (700ml ?) mug , also with a "steam release" lid. (from Coles)
    Franco

tommy d

@vinovampire

If your funds are low and you're looking for a cheap and reasonably light tarp, buy a blue "poly" tarp. I've seen 8' by 6' blue tarps for $5 USD. And they should weigh about 1 lb. When more funds become available and if you decide you like using tarps, buy a lighter and more expensive option.

Charlie Dangerfield

@stueyd

Thanks Tom I will send a PM

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

The grommets on these are not good at sustaining loads. I've had the grommets pulled out the very first pitch, within minutes. You're probably better off getting a nylon urethane tarp like this (link) that is made for camping yet cheaper, albeit heavier, than the sil stuff most use around here.

Andrew Lush
    BPL Member

@lushy

Locale: Lake Mungo, Mutawintji NPs

Hi Charlie,

Welcome to BPL.

There's a few of us poor gear-deprived Aussies on this forum. And of course there is Roger C, a doyen of this site, with lots of great ideas on how to make lightweight bushwalking work on a local scale.

Regarding your needs for a cook system, I have a a 950 ml Molsen beer can that I will send you if you PM me. (It's a Canadian beer that bought while visiting Quebec, purely because it comes in big cans) Sadly, there's no beer left, but it sure beats our 375ml cans that we have here in Oz.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools