Topic

spinning reel

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara spinning reel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

What's the lightest 4# line spinning reel out there?

John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

I recently bought an old shimano reel that they marketed as ultralight, and sure enough, with 90 yards of 5# line, its only weighing in at 5.4oz.

Zachary Zrull

@zackcentury

Locale: Great Lakes

Sorry I don't have any weights for you, but take a look at trigger spin reels, like the Zebco 11T. It is certainly the most compact 4# reel I've ever used, and it might be cheaper than the really light spinning reels. Some of the reviews on that site are disconcerting, though. I used this reel for at least 10 years with no trouble.

Don't be fooled by "titanium" on a cheap reel– it's probably just the line guide or a coating on the ball bearings. Sure, it's a nice feature, but it hardly does anything to save weight. Ultralight reels are named so for the type of line they use, not necessarily the weight of the reel itself. If you are dead set on the ultimate lightweight spinning reel, the Shimano Stradic CL4 Microline, made with carbon fiber, might be nice. It's only $200.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools