Topic

Tent/Pack Recommendation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tent/Pack Recommendation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

I have posted my gear list in the Gear List forum recently. I have been trying to lighten up. 2 big areas where I can get some real savings is shelter and pack. My current pack is a Gregory Baltoro which is 5 lbs 10 ounces. And my tent is a Quarter Dome T3 which is 5 lbs 5 ounces.

I am looking for a new pack and tent. My current gear list thread is here: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/process#forumtop

What are your recommendations for an UL 2 or 3 person shelter with bug protection? I do not currently have treking poles, but I am going to be purchasing them soon. My wife and I share a bag, so unless someone can enlighten me, I cannot use a shelter with a pole in the dead center.

Also, what would you recommend for a pack? I need the pack to be able to hold a bear cannister should I take any trips that would require it, and I need it to be large enough for a week long trip with no restock. I am trying to get by with just 1 pack, and the longest trip we would take would be 6-7 nights. We have a 4 night trip planned for later this year in the Grand Canyon, and we are looking at an early spring trip next year in Yosemite. And a late summer trip in Colorado.

Thanks in advance.

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

Is Tarptent the way to go for an UL 2 person shelter? Seems like they have a few offerings that would fit my needs. Or should I be looking elsewhere?

As far as packs, the GoLite Pinnacle and the ULA Catalyst seem to be popular options for larger packs in the UL category. Will I miss the internal frame with the Pinnacle? Are there any other options I am not aware of? I want the pack to be able to hold enough for a week with a bear canister.

Dave Myers
    Spectator

@patientwolf

Locale: South Western Oklahoma

You really can't go wrong with something from Tarptent. Lightheart Gear has the Lightheart Duo and Six Moon Designs has the Lunar Duo both of which I have heard good things about.

I have a SMD Swift '10 frameless backpack which I love. I have carried up to a 35 lb load just fine though I wouldn't recommend it. I've gotten my weight down to around 11 lbs and most of the time just forget the pack is back there. If you want something with a frame SMD has the Starlite.

Here is a cool thread with videos showcasing the Swift '10.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=33285

David Ure

@familyguy

I would recommend looking at the Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian, and the ULA Catalyst. The frameless packs will suck with weights over the low twenties and long, humping days. Doable but why?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I am an avowed tarp user. Many have done the longest thru hikes in tarps. But tarps are not for everyone. If I were in the market for a tent I would look at Henry Shires Tarpent line up. There are some many satisfied users, you probably can't go wrong.

Buy your pack last. If you are doing a lot of miles with over 20lbs, then internal stays will be helpful. Plus with a bear cannister, you need enough room to store it. I have yet to take my cannister in any of my UL packs, so can't provide specific models that work. I have owned both ULA and GG packs, and both companies make excellent products. I prefer the GG packs, as they are easier for me to live out of, but ULA offers more in the way of larger packs.

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

Yet another TarpTent recommendation here.

The TarpTent line is pretty broad, so it's likely that you'll find one that suits you, and the built quality is top notch.

That said, I've seen a lot of positive reviews for the SMD and LightHeart gear as well, and they're in about the same price range as TarpTent products.

Mark Hume

@seattlesetters

Locale: Pugetropolis

For a couple of more mainstream options, the Osprey Exos 58 weighs in at 2 lbs 8 oz and will comfortably carry up to 35 lbs or so. Combine it with the roomy Nemo Meta 2P trekking pole tent ( 2 lbs 15 oz) and you've just lost 5 1/2 lbs of weight and not given up any comfort at all.

Substitute the SMD Lunar Duo and you lose another 6-7 oz.

David Ure

@familyguy

Hey Mark – you have to add a pound to the Meta for trekking poles… ;) (I'm just playing with ya Brother)

Mark Hume

@seattlesetters

Locale: Pugetropolis

"Hey Mark – you have to add a pound to the Meta for trekking poles… ;) (I'm just playing with ya Brother)"

Dude – Homeboy said he was going to be "carrying them anyway." That's the argument I always hear….maybe I'm slowly being converted. :-)

David Ure

@familyguy

Mark – not wanting to highjack the thread but recently I was on a 42 mile hike with considerable elevation gain and loss. I used trekking poles, which helped the knees no doubt but I had sore shoulders and traps. Darned if I do, darned if I don't.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

We use the SMD Lunar Duo, it has the most amazing interior space for the weight. It does use trekking poles to set up, but they are at the sides, so you have as much room as you need inside.

Depending on what size pack you need, I have used packs from SMD and ULA and been very pleased. The SMD Starlite is a great pack for the transition to light or UL gear — if you use the optional stays (which I would call mandatory)it will carry 35 pounds nicely, and it has enough volume for me for winter hiking in NC.

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

So far I have liked the Lunar Duo, Scarp 2, and the Double Rainbow.

Does anyone have any pros or cons to those choices? Or others to add to the list that I am forgetting? We hike mostly in the Southeast.

The Lunar Duo and the Double Rainbow seem pretty similar. The Lunar Duo is a tad lighter but is more expensive. The Scarp 2 seems quite a bit larger than the 2 but is also the heaviest and most expensive of the 3.

Other than that what are some things I may or may not be thinking about? We do share a quilt so tents with a pole in the center are out.

As far as packs go, this seems like a personal preference as I have gotten quite a few different answers. As far as brands go, it looks like I should look at SMD, ULA, Gossamer Gear, Granite Gear, GoLite, any others?

And while we are on the topic, I am getting treking poles as I stated, the BD Fliplocks seem popular, anthing else I should look at?

Thanks in advance.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

If you like the Double Rainbow and the Lunar Duo, you are gonna love the SMD Haven. Similar type, but there are some added tweaks.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

"As far as packs go, this seems like a personal preference as I have gotten quite a few different answers. As far as brands go, it looks like I should look at SMD, ULA, Gossamer Gear, Granite Gear, GoLite, any others?"

Yep. I have a GG Gorilla and an ULA OHM. Hard to choose as they are both great. From others experiences, I would add MLD, but I have no personal experience.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Re:
    "The SMD Starlite is a great pack for the transition to light or UL gear — if you use the optional stays (which I would call mandatory)"

I used to use the stays for the same reason until someone described some tips:
    Use your sleep pad in the provided pocket and/or pack so that the back is rigid. This can be done by organizing your gear in the way that works best for you and then cinching the cords down tight to make the pack rigid.

The cinching part really makes a difference. I noticed the first time I forgot to do this:-)

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

My head is spinning! I guess I can consider myself lucky that there are so many great options…

So instead of decreasing my choices I have increased them by one: The Haven, Scarp 2, DR, Lunar Duo.

Packs: My initial looking has me narrowed down to: SMD Starlite, GL Pinnacle, ULA Catalyst, ULA Epic, ULA Circuit, GG G4, MLD Arc

These are all packs above 60L that were at least somewhat light. Most are not over 2.2 lbs.

The Granite Gear Packs seem to be heavy for the storage capacity. I think I may choose something with an internal frame as well, so that will eliminate some of these.

As far as treking poles go I have not started researching.

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

"I used to use the stays for the same reason until someone described some tips:"

Yes, but without the stays the load lifters don't work at all. And I like load lifters.

To the OP — we have owned both the Tarptent Double Rainbow and the SMD Lunar Duo. In fact we bought the Lunar Duo after more than a year of trying to use the Double Rainbow for two people. While they look the same, the interior volume is significantly different. The long walls on the DR slope inward, so it was tough for both of us to sit up at the same time. The long walls on the Lunar Duo are straight up and down, providing way more volume inside, as well as better entry and exit in the rain.

They are both very, very nice tents. Well made, well designed, etc.

David Ure

@familyguy

Exactly. Without the stays, the torso collapse even with a firm pad for support is pretty significant over 25 lbs or so.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

I don't normally carry much over 20 lbs so I guess I just never reached that point where I needed the stays.

By the way, the Starlite is huge. Look at the picture of my avatar for an idea. I normally only carry half that. Did a camp cleanup that day.

David Ure

@familyguy

Looks like you could use it as a Bivy!

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I would second (third? fourth?) the recommendation of the SMD Starlite or Traveler with the stays. The stays can easily be removed and reinserted. You can always take them out for light loads, but for heavier loads you'll be more comfortable with them in. I use mine all the time because my shoulders are very pressure-sensitive–I need those load lifters!

And another Tarptent.com fan here!

Please take the above advice to buy your pack last–it should fit your gear rather than vice-versa!

Luke Moffat
    BPL Member

@alaska_lanche

I was going to sell my Osprey Aether in favor of the starlite. But that clymb deal for the GG vapor trail at $80 apiece ment my wife and I could each pick one up for the same price as a single starlite. But if it wasn't for that deal I would have picked up a couple starlites and ran with it.

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

I have read a bunch of threads and I have narrowed it to the Haven, Scarp 2, or the Lunar duo.

The haven has a smaller footprint than the Lunar duo but is double wall. The lunar duo is roomier. The scarp 2 can be used as 4 season but is heavier, although it does have the most room of all 3. In my situations is there a clear winner?

I have not been able to narrow packs down any more at this point, however, the starlite looks promising.

I have not even begin to look at trekking poles.

Ultralite Hiker
    Spectator

@ultralite

For 3 season backpacking in the southeast, I have narrowed down my selections to the DR, LD, and the haven. The haven has the advantage of being double walled. The DR, gives up space but the porch configuration seems neat and my wife and I are 5'4 and 5'11 and 115 and 175 so the DR may be ok. The LD is more spacious while still being as light as the competition.

The double rainbow also has an optional attachment to combat condensation. Are there any glaring reasons to pick one of the 3?

Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

the DR gets good reviews. the haven is new but has had some positive feedback. double wall in a high humidity area is nice.

i have heard, but don't have personal experience that the LD has set up issues.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools