Topic

First Aid Packing List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique First Aid Packing List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

I would use steristrips or butterfly instead of suturing. Steristrips work great on machete wounds and other big cuts.

Stephen P

@spavlock

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Everett, I believe rescue inhalers are for asthma related emergencies. A breathing barrier is used during CPR. I can definitely see why someone would want to bring along a rescue inhaler if they have any history of asthma. You are right though in your explanation of MMR and circulation being the critical part.

+1 on the scotch!

Everett Vinzant
    BPL Member

@wn7ant

Locale: CDT

Thank you for setting me straight about the rescue inhaler(this is why I make it clear I have NO idea what I'm talking about). However, on the scotch, I'm QUITE sure I know what I'm talking about ;)

I now return this thread to its regularly scheduled subject.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

my fak has been steadily shrinking- my typical 3-4 day kit

a small irrigator (12cc), there seems to be a pretty good consensus on it's importance in dealing w/ cleaning wounds (8 grams)
    one six pack of steri-strips (2 grams)
    one neosporin packet (1.5 grams)
    small roll gauze (5 grams)
    3 immodium, 3 benadryl in tiny ziplock (3 grams)
    8 advil, 4 tylenol in tiny ziplock (5 grams)
    2' Leukotape wrapped around section of straw/benzoin (7 grams)
    sak tweezers (1 gram)
    small alokosak (5 grams)

about 1.5 oz

my repair kit contains several items that could also double over into first aid- duct tape, super glue, needle, safety pins

Everett Vinzant
    BPL Member

@wn7ant

Locale: CDT

Consider aspirin. In low doses people use it to help prevent heart attacks (or deal with them at the onset). The reason this works is that aspirin acts as a blood thinner. Does anyone know if this behavior is indicative of all pain killers? Specifically, do all over the counter pain killers thin blood. Here's the concern:

Someone is hiking. They cut their leg open. The bleeding is stooped initially. Person takes a pain killer. Bleeding… ?

It is recognized that any response to this subject does not constitute medical advice.

Diana Nevins
    BPL Member

@artemis

Locale: Great Plains

"Really simple

Anti Allergy Pill 1x how ever many days I'm going out for
    Tylenol PM x2
    Ibprofen 800 x2
    Leukotape 2 3inch pieces
    1 small butterfly bandage
    1 bandaid small
    Purell bottle 1oz
    Rescue Inhaler"

If you're carrying the rescue inhaler because you're asthmatic and if you go out on longer trips, one thing you might want to think of adding to this list would be enough prednisone to start a steriod taper. Several days' walk from an ER is a bad place to experience a severe asthma attack, but the proper dose of steroids can block the progression of a bad attack and buy you the time needed to walk out or be evacuated out by SAR. You have to know what you're doing with prednisone, though, and it's (rightly) a prescription-only drug, so it's something you'd need to discuss with your physician. I carried prednisone with me on my two-week long Grand Canyon commercial river rafting trip last year, and plan to carry it again next summer when I go off rafting the Salmon River. I never needed it, but was glad to have it just in case.

For people with serious allergies, an Epi-pen should also be added to the first aid-list.

Diana Nevins
    BPL Member

@artemis

Locale: Great Plains

"Consider aspirin. In low doses people use it to help prevent heart attacks (or deal with them at the onset). The reason this works is that aspirin acts as a blood thinner. Does anyone know if this behavior is indicative of all pain killers?"

No, no all over-the-counter painkillers have that effect. Tylenol has very minimal effects on blood clotting at normal doses. Ibuprofen does decrease platelet function, but to a far lesser extent than aspirin, and the effect wears off relatively quickly.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Does anyone know if this behavior is indicative of all pain killers? Specifically, do all over the counter pain killers thin blood."

I agree, not all pain killers do blood thinning, at least not the same way.

Aspirin is the most familiar OTC pain killer which does have the thinning effect. Tylenol does not. That is why hospitals normally administer Tylenol to a patient following minor surgery. They do not want some sudden blood thinning to happen, as might be the case from aspirin. Tylenol is a little safer in this regard.

My physician has me taking daily low-dosage aspirin as a general purpose blood thinner, and he specifically told me to avoid Ibuprofen. He said that one Ibuprofen will cancel the effect of one aspirin.

However, if you are a normal healthy adult who does not take pain killers regularly, and if you get a bad injury, it probably does not matter which one of these you take.

As they say, you just need something to take the edge off.

–B.G.–

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Bob

A word of caution for you and everyone wanting to play paramedic.

> if you are a normal healthy adult who does not take pain killers regularly, and if you
    > get a bad injury, it probably does not matter which one of these you take.

Please be aware that for some people, ONE aspirin tablet can be LETHAL. Some people are allergic to any NSAID at all, and can suffer an asthma attack from taking just ONE tablet. That asthma attack can be fatal. It can cause massive inflammation of the airways and can stop breathing completely.

Take a look at the box for any NSAID. You will (should!) find a warning, often in the fine print, that it can trigger an asthma attack in some. The ambos treat this problem all the time.

Cheers

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Please be aware that for some people, ONE aspirin tablet can be LETHAL. Some people are allergic to any NSAID at all, and can suffer an asthma attack from taking just ONE tablet. That asthma attack can be fatal. It can cause massive inflammation of the airways and can stop breathing completely."

…and that is why I used the phrase "normal healthy adult."

If you are allergic or asthmatic, you don't fit the premise.

–B.G.–

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> that is why I used the phrase "normal healthy adult."
    The problem is that many people would regard themselves as normal and healthy – and still be allergic to aspirin without knowing it, because they just haven't taken any for the last 5 years. It happens.

Cheers

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"The problem is that many people would regard themselves as normal and healthy – and still be allergic to aspirin without knowing it, because they just haven't taken any for the last 5 years. It happens."

Just because some people regard themselves as normal and healthy… that doesn't make them normal and healthy.

–B.G.–

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@rshaver

Locale: West

Like Mary D, I just finished a 16 hour wilderness first aid class. What I learned is the same as what she says. To her list I would definitely add some tablets and medications, which might save the day, provide comfort, or save a life. One chewable aspirin can save a life, and the weight is negligible. Ibuprofin, acetominiphen, steristrips, immodium, pepto, kaopectate, benadryl, 3 in one antibacterial ointment, aloe burn gel (tiny pack), moleskin, breathing barrier, are on my list. Being diabetic I also take a round of antibiotics, and use them on most trips due to infected blisters or cuts.

If the meds are for someone other than you, you don't "administer" them. You make them available if the patient wants to give it a try. I don't know the statistics, but I'll bet you are far more likely to save a life than lose one by sharing an aspirin.

My MSR hyperflow water filter on backflush is good for irrigating wounds. Some 4 x 4 sterile pads don't weigh much, and the vet tape is reusable so its very weight effective. I have tweezers, and a pair of gloves are very lightweight for bodily substance barrier. Add moleskin, and athletic tape.

If you are just preparing to treat yourself, you probably only need moleskin and bandaids, but you never know, and it doesn't add much in weight to add a lot more capability.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Go to the Sierra Club's "Clubhouse" website and login.
    (P.W. is "Explore" and U.N. is "Clubhouse" if I recall correctly)

Go to "Outings" and "Medical". Then to "Forms" and find "Recommended 1st Aid Kit List" (or similar heading. They change headings from time to time.

> Butterfly closures are often BETTER than sutures B/C they leave no distortion of the joined edges as sutures do and permit better drainage of fluids.

> I always carry small tubes of 500 mg. of Bayer granulated, lemon flavored asprin. It is THE fastest acting asprin I know of and I'd use it in a cardiac emergency with a conscious patient. However ONLY with their permission,as it is not part of my formal First Responder training. The pleasant-tasting granules are easily swallowed without water. Up to two 500 mg. tubes may be given at one time. This is for blood thinning purpodes to permit blood to bypass a blockage and to even help dissolve clots tha often accompany myocardial infarcs.

FYI> As a Sierra Club outings leader I often am the dafault "First Responder" on a hike even if I'm not leading because of my Outdoor Emergency Care training as a Ski Patroller. With recent minor changes in our manual it's the equivalent to EMT I (plus specialized winter first aid) according to an agreement recently reached with Homeland Security, who is attempting to standardize emergency responder training. OEC requires 60 hours of training.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"2' Leukotape wrapped around section of straw/benzoin (7 grams)"

Mike,

Have you ever tried unrolling the Leukotape from that straw? If so, how do you manage it? I used to carry it wrapped around a ball point pen and had a devil of a time getting it unrolled, due to the small diameter, the first time I needed it. Since then I've taken to wrapping it around the bottle I carry my coconut oil in, but that has other issues. Any tips appreciated.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Tom- yes I finally have and it's a pita! :) I think a section of a Bic pen would be better, anything that has some firmness- straw is too flimsy and the leukotape too strong/sticky- I didn't find the diameter so problematic as the straw collapsing- I got it off, but w/ mucho effort

maybe a short section of aquarium hose would work

funny it went on the straw just fine :)

Mike

Anonymous
    Inactive

"funny it went on the straw just fine :)"

:)

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I use an old credit card. Sam Haraldson brought up cutting to size and placing onto the type of paper that stickers come on (shiny)? That would make it simple to peel and use.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"paper that stickers come on"

It's called release paper.

–B.G.–

Ed McGill

@edmcgill

Hey Everett,

I definitely would NOT recommend anyone try to suture themselves. But I agree, if you are out in the wilderness alone I guess it is a better option than bleeding to death right?

Before my last solo trip into the wilderness I read this book from Elsevier Health called Medicine For The Outdoors. It's got everything you could possibly need to know about handling medical emergencies in the outdoors. I definitely recommend reading it!

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools