Topic

Length of noseeum skirt for Hex3

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Length of noseeum skirt for Hex3

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Inaki Diaz de Etura
    BPL Member

@inaki-1

Locale: Iberia highlands

Trying to turn the Hex3 bug proof I'm about sewing a noseeum skirt all around and just wonder about the optimal length for the skirt. I guess 15" final lenght should be fine but if someone here has done it before and has field experience I'd welcome advise before I start cutting.

I'll sew the skirt only on the tarp side and leave it hanging from there, ie. I won't sew the noseeum on the floor side.

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

I've done some Tipi style structures with sod skirts and we have found that at least 4 " from where it turns in is needed. So if you pitch your hex 4 " above ground then at least a total of 8 ". I can't say for sure, but I'm going to guess you will get diminishing returns after 8" or so.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I would suggest taping and measuring. A lot will depend on how high up you want to pitch the tarp. My experience is that 8" was typically just about perfect.

–Mark

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

Why not make it longer than needed so you can trim out down after you try it out?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools