Topic

DIY SP600 pot lid triple use! (So far)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear DIY SP600 pot lid triple use! (So far)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Brian Ahlers

@bahlers7

Locale: Idaho

Today I made a gram weenie stove and am totally ecstatic about it. Boils 2 cups of tap water (Don't know the temp) in my SP 600 in 7 min with 2/3 oz denatured alcohol. Anyways, I was kicking around what I would use for my primer pan and looked at my DIY lid for my SP600. Not sure if anyone uses this method but I snapped a few shots of the taking the stove off the lid and putting the lid on the pot.
    SP600 and DIY GW
    Taking the Weenie of the DIY lid/primer pan
    The GW isn't hot enough yet, so if you lightly grab it and slide it off the lid you won't suffer any burns. (If you try this at home and burn yourself, it's not my fault, haha)
    This is kinda dangerous and don't encourage this unless you want to save a 1/2 ounce. You could potentially dump the alcohol on your hand and suffer some burns so be wary : )
    Vooala!

The lid also triples as a coaster! That is if you decide to have UL backpacker coffee at a friends :)

Also triples as a coaster : )

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Another primer pan can be made from an aluminum muffin liner. You can use the whole liner, or you can trim it down.

–B.G.–

Christopher Taggart

@penndude

Locale: Western PA

Did you get instructions to build that stove online? I have a stove building fetish and would love a link to the plans.

James DeMonaco
    BPL Member

@jdemonaco

Locale: PNW

I'm pretty sure that's a gram weenie stove. You should be able to find it on this site. I remember seeing instructions on building those, and also a guy on here sells them. It has been awhile though, so I could be going crazy.

Brian Ahlers

@bahlers7

Here's the link to the bpl thread that has the instructions, scroll down a bit. http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=8815. FWIW I made a my design of a stove that weighs 1-2 grams more but is 25% more efficient, I can post pics if anyone is interested.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Yes, let's see you're pic's. Thanks Jack

Brian Ahlers

@bahlers7

This stove actually weighs .1 oz or 4 grams more than my gram weenie. But it is more efficient and has more stability.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The actual weight of this stove is .4 oz or 14 grams

James DeMonaco
    BPL Member

@jdemonaco

Locale: PNW

That is an awesome little stove. I can see how it would be more efficient in placing the flames under the pot, rather than on the sides of the pot.

Do you have any info or pics on how you made it? I'd love to make something like this for myself.

Brian Ahlers

@bahlers7

I don't have any photos of when I made it. But it's made out of two different sized aluminum bottles to make it a double wall stove. If i have some time later maybe I'll make another one, I kinda want to modify my hole placement anyways.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools