Topic

How does one sew Momentum Fabric

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear How does one sew Momentum Fabric

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

I bought some Momentum Fabric from thru-hiker.com and wanted a local Cambodian tailor shop who charges very reasonable fees to mimic a Thermarest pillow cover which I have but make the same design with Momentum Fabric, and they told me they could not do the sewing as the fabric was too fine. Does it take special sewing machines to work with fabric this fine? What type of needle and thread does one use? I have rudimentary sewing skills myself and a inexpensive Brother sewing machine. Any advice? Thanks.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Hey man, I recommend a size 70/10 or 65/9 needle, sharp point (schmetz microtex), and regular weight 100% poly guttermans, or the tex 24 hydrophobe that thru-hiker sells.

Any random home machine is capable of sewing it, but just make sure it has a good even feed, and that you have a very strong understanding of upper and lower thread tension if you want professional results.

Otherwise, I take on random sewing and prototyping projects for people here, and I'm sure some others will also, for reasonable prices. Although maybe not SE asian alteration shop prices. ;)

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

Thanks, Javan. I'll keep your offer in mind. There is one local backpacking gear repair center in town that I want to approach (save on shipping fees). Wish you lived closer.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Roleigh,

All my sewing is done on one of two "Brother" low end sewing machines that I have. Give them a scrap to play with and just tell them to have at it. If they are any good they will figure it out quick.

I sew light weight Silk, Cuben, Pertex Quantum which is about the same as Momentum and other light weight fabric with my machine.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Javan and Bill pretty well nailed it. Fine needle. Careful thread tension. Good fine thread. Good hands.

–B.G.–

Matthew Bishop
    BPL Member

@mattsbishop

Locale: Iowa

"Backpacking gear" usually means heavier duty fabrics. Maybe all they have is a big industrial machine with #69 and thicker thread. If you can find a tailor that works on normal clothing they may not balk so much. I know momentum was a big pain until I realized I really didn't need heavy thread and a large needle.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools