Topic

PCT vs. JMT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    victoria maki
    BPL Member

@clt1953

Locale: northern minnesota

Just renewed my subscription to the "other" backpacking magazine and recieved the book,"The Best Trails in America". Thumbing through and reading about the PCT makes me think I would like to try hiking it. It seems to be easy as far as permits go. Hiked the JMT last year and if it wouldn't have been for my friend making all the plans, don't think I would have gone. Is it as easy as the book says?

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I didn't finish this year, but the hardest thing for me was planning my meals. Aside from figuring out where to get it and how much to carry, it's just walking.

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@clt1953

Locale: northern minnesota

Eugene. It wasn't the hike that was hard. Had no problem with that. It was the planning to get permits that my friend went through that was difficult. In "The Best Trails in America" book, it doesn't sound like you have to make plans in advance to get permits. Just pick up free, self-issued permits at the trailheads. True??

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

If you're doing a thru hike you only need two things that are both very easy to get. First is a thru hike permit that you get from that PCTA that takes care of all the permits. Second is the entry permit that allows you to enter Canada from the trail instead of a major entry point.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools