Topic

salami

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Philip Delvoie
    BPL Member

@philipd

Locale: Ontario, Canada

One of my staples is Landjäger.

It's a dried meat product…very tasty and no refrigeration required. Lot's of the butchers or speciality meat shops in my area carry it. I usually plan on one per meal when I am out. We do have black bears here in Ontario, but have not had any problems in my neck of the woods.

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

Okay, I'm really interested in salami and Yosemite bears. I am planning to take salami for lunches to Yosemite. I was planning on just taking the stick and cutting whatever I wanted off. Now I'm thinking of placing a servings worth in a "seal a meal" bag. Is that good enough? I will of course be using a bear can (the ones they rent at Yosemite).

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Larry, I tend to do it the way you suggest. Maybe it is overkill when using a bear can. It's just that the darn bear will smell really good salami inside it and will play with the can all night like it was a soccer ball.

That is good if you are a photographer trying to get a photo of a bear at night. However, if you are a backpacker who has had a long day, you would rather get some sleep.

–B.G.–

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

While I would like to get good pictures of a bear at night, I do not want it playing with my bear can at all! And if I do anything that attracts bears my wife will have my…

So, I take it that "seal a meal" bags will work good enough to trap the smell?

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

I'd just take the stick and cut from it as I eat. Been doing it with cheese, and salami for years.

I use a bear canister and in my experience they work so well that bears don't even waste their time trying to get into them. They don't play with them like soccer balls, maybe they did in the olden times, but they seem to have learned that canisters are not food. Worst case scenario the can gets tipped over to make sure the lid is on.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I don't think that anything is quite as perfect as a bear's nose. However, a seal-a-meal bag seems to be slightly better than an ordinary ziploc bag.

I would worry more about smells from foods that get spilled inside their containers or inside your pack. Sunscreen on clothing will drive the bears crazy.

I was on a trip up through the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne, and one gal had a backpack that had food spilled in it on a previous trip. She thought that she had cleaned it out. Not. The bear came into camp, played footsie with the bear can, then found her pack and ripped it a bit.

–B.G.–

Dan Magdoff
    BPL Member

@highsierraguy

Locale: Northern California

Hey all,
    I have been using salami and hard cheeses for lunch for years! Never had a problem with bears. I hang my food and use canisters where required. See lots of bears, just never around my campsite

Anyway… I am doing a 16 day trip this summer. I was going to bring two of those vacuum sealed Columbus salamis. I was gonna use the first one over the first 6 or 7 days or so, and then open the second and use it over the last 6 or 7 days. Do you think they will last that long? I was also gonna bring a few pieces of hard cheese and use them the same way. You thing they will last?

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

Locale: Southern California

@Dan: I've used salami and hard cheese, but never for such a long trip. I'm guessing you'll get some surface mold on the cheese. People have posted here about coating cheese and salami in wax, but I've never tried it.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Dry salami with the white mold found at Walmart is very goo tasting. Its in the red and white paperlike packaging. It keeps well for atleast 2 weeks in my experience with temps up to 90 degrees. In fact the hotter it is the better tasting it is.

Nothing is better than a salami and cheese quesidilla on whole grain tortillas for lunch…

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

There are so many different meat products called 'salami' that you need to be an educated consumer. The ones that keep best are hung (at room temperature) for months, often have a white mold on the casing, and have a decent amount of fat. So you don't really need to worry about spoilage if it meets these criteria. I would avoid anything wrapped in plastic and found in the fridge section, and definitely avoid 'low fat' products. Salami needs to breathe to avoid spoilage, so I personally wouldn't seal it in any kind of plastic, but I don't have to worry about bears. If bears are a potential problem, you can wrap it in cloth, then seal it in a vacuum bag. This will minimise any sweating damage, but not sure how well it would work for longer trips. If planning a long trip in bear country, I would opt for slicing the salami, then drying it fully in a dehydrator before sealing it in a vacuum bag. If fully dried, sweating will not be a problem, but the salami will be tooth-breaking hard, so is best used in cooked dishes to soften. It is also REALLY hard to slice completely dry salami, which is why I recommend slicing it before drying.

I have also had good luck with dropping single serves of salami and hard cheeses in wax. Drying cheese in a dehydrator also works well, but it becomes very crumbly so best used in cooking rather than as slices on your lunch crackers. Sealing in wax doesn't prevent sweating, so this is probably only an option for short to medium trips.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Pricy, but delicious. I stopped in at Mahogany Meats in Bishop, CA, and tasted (and then bought) some of their jerky (buffalo and elk) and one of their Landjager sausages. Incredibly delicious, and the sausage will last a couple of weeks (if not trapped in plastic, as Lynn says) according to the guy behind the counter. I'll order from them before my next trip.

http://www.smokedmeats.com/jerky-beef-jerky.html

Matthew mcgurk
    BPL Member

@phatpacker

Locale: Central coast California

I think bears are just after food in general if you store it right you wont have problems, oh yeah and dont use your clothes as a napkin. 4 days in winter it keeps once you break the skin and 2-3 days in other times. I dont bring it unless I can share it with someone or its winter.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

:) "Mahoghany Smoked Meats" is the sign in front of Meadow Farms, and they produce the best jerky product on the planet. Some say, "whole solar system"… A longtime tradition in our family for stops "on the way in" and on the way home.

We use their Landjager on trips, but it's a bit heavy and is a "moist style", so it will both sweat and aroma-tize the daylights out of whatever it's stashed in. Coincidentally, bears in the Eastern Sierra also share the commonly accepted view of Meadow Farms meats… We tend to eat ours the first day.

Now, the "cowboy jerky" is actually a whole flank steak, dried over their smoke and a hunk the size of the palm of my hand will last a week of great meals on trail if you've got a sharp knife or teeth. In terms of fragrance, it surely is, but it won't sweat and it lasts weeks outside of refrigeration if you keep it wrapped.

And for the salami, one of my compatriots on our latest trek has sworn that, from here on out, weight is irrelevant: he's bringing salami. Apparently the craving hit hard and, on our way home, he noted that Meadow Farms will shrink wrap your sliced salami for free…

Note, they'll do it for the landjager and jerkys, too. Just ask at the counter.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

MMmmmmmmmmm.. a source for slabs of smoked meats. Thank you.

daniel B
    Spectator

@dbogey

Locale: East Coast

I will be there next week. Cant wait. Its my first trip into the Sierras and I think that I'll have to pick some of this up for our SHR excursion. Now I'll need to figure what coming out the Bearikade Weekender to make room for this !!

Alex Eriksson
    Spectator

@aeriksson

Locale: Austin, TX

My food-borne-illness obsessed girlfriend turned me on to http://www.stilltasty.com along with it's accompanying iPhone app. We now use it whenever the question of "how should we store this" or "how long CAN we store this" presents itself.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

I tend to be pretty skeptical of any answer to those questions from someone who could be sued if I get sick from following their advice. Way too many safety factors built in for me. That is one thing I find so interesting about many of the threads in this forum: frank discussion on how far you really can push food before it spoils.

matt brisbin
    Spectator

@firestarter01

Locale: Bay Area

Maybe someone can enlighten me but am I the only one thinking that OPsak's are a joke? Seems to me that the simple fact of opening and closing them with your hands would cover it in various scents.

Well, unless your absolutely clean and clear of any food/soap/etc… which seems like it would be really difficult to control if not impossible.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

Not sure this is the right thread for this discussion, but…. I agree trying to eliminate all smells is a fools errand, but scavengers gather a lot of information with there noses. When a bear smells it is not simply "is there food? Yes or no". A bear can get a lot of detail about how much food there is. OPsak's reduce the concentration of food an animal will detect. With properly cleanliness standards, there is evidence you can get the smells low enough to not warrant attention from scavengers.

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

I read somewhere to keep salami and cheeses stored in parchment cooking paper once they are opened as they tend to store better. I tried it my last time out and it seemed to make a big difference in how much oil separated from the salami and cheese over the few days, which made for less mess when handling and kept the smell down a bit. You can find the parchment in any larger grocery store. I'm sold on it from now on. (I still keep it sealed in an Opsak but having the paper right next to the product seemed to make the difference)

Kevin Buggie
    BPL Member

@kbug

Locale: NW New Mexico

Like Ben, I was skeptical of the logistics of actually using these bags for prevention of food predation by both little bears(habituated chipmunk/mice) and regular bears.
    But after using them in the BC for a number of trips you really notice how pungent the contents of your food bag are each time you break the seal to open the bag, esp with dog food/salami. So in addition to the in-camp benefits of not hanging food in reg black bear country due to drastic odor wafting reduction(Excluding pct,AT route saturation areas, etc) I also feel comforted knowing that my puffy insul. and camp kit isn't absorbing food odors all day inside the pack as I hike.
    Opsacks simplify my camps in bear country with little effort or added risk.

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

I was part of a trail crew this summer, and our regular grocery store salami kept for the entire 10 days in the field, even in summer (Adirondacks so it was cooler than a lot of other places, and this particular summer saw no heat wave like the rest of the country). Most veggies like peppers and squash stayed fine, and even the extra sharp cheddar lasted about a week. Once fall came around forget about it, nothing went bad.

"Larry, I tend to do it the way you suggest. Maybe it is overkill when using a bear can. It's just that the darn bear will smell really good salami inside it and will play with the can all night like it was a soccer ball."

FWIW, I kept salami in tinfoil in my can in the Marcy Dam area for three nights this past summer, never had yellow yellow touch it. Although, and the ranger pointed this out to me, I had a bearikade, which he said yellow yellow didnt usually mess with. Not sure why.

Gregory Petliski

@gregpphoto

Whats with all the bear fear going around in this thread? Sure, salami might be more odorous than crackers, but a bears sense of smell is so far off the charts it really doesnt matter much what you bring, theyre gonna find it if they want to. And are we talking black bears or grizz? I would certainly understand the fear in grizzly country, but even then I dont think its as bad as people are making it out to be. Our ancestors ate plenty of smoked meat snacks Im sure, and they didnt have bear cans.

If you're worried about the smell on your fingers after you wash them, maybe see a shrink!?

Jan S

@karl-ton

"But my question is, once you open it and expose it to the air (or more precisely the bacteria and other microorganisms floating around) doesn't its shelf life then become MUCH shorter?"

Bit too late, but here we go. Yes, it usually does unless you use food made to prevent exactly this problem. Like uncut salami. Good salami is fermented, extremely salty, covered by mold and dried. The fermentation lowers the pH of the meat, making it harder for bacteria to grow on it. The salt also inhibits growth of bacteria. The mold on the outside acts as a protection against other mold types and probably also against bacteria. The drying further inhibits growth of bacteria.

At the place where you broke the outer skin to cut of a slice there will be more exposure but the salami "inner" already has a lot of protection built in and it will dry out further. The drying out acts as a kind of resealing of the softer inner. Provided the salami is not cut into slices, can breath properly and is not stored in an humid environment the meat will last just about forever. I admit I forgot a salami I had already sliced something of for about 3 months. It was still fine, although extremely hard and dry and had lost some of the taste.

Lachlan Fysh
    BPL Member

@lachlanfysh

I actually cure my own salami (and lonzino, coppa, bresaola etc). Essentially controlled temperatures (sub 15c) and the salt content added to the meat (and potassium nitrate if you add it, which I do because botulism scares me) allows it to stave off any bacterial growth while it is slowly drying down to a point where the available water % is low enough and the salt content high enough that bacteria growth is basically impossible even at room temperature. From this point it should be entirely shelf stable for a long time (e.g. >1 year). Bacteria doesn't worry me at all, due to the salts, but mould can get a little wild if the humidity trends too high… I just wipe off any fuzzy, non-white stuff with vinegar..

Salamis tend to sweat a bit due to higher fat content, but I like strips of pork tenderloin, which are a convenient size and usually 150-250g once fully dried. These are lean and keep well. I took a couple on a 4 day trip last week. Only ended up eating one.. the other spent about 6 days out of the curing fridge before I remembered to put it back in again. I'll probably eat it soon anyway, but honestly if it stayed in there another 3 months I wouldn't be worried.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools