Topic

pushing a quilt….

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) pushing a quilt….

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    will sawyer

@wjsawyer

Locale: Connecticut

I have a nunatak arc that is rated to 20 degrees. I'm going on a NOLS trip that wants a sleeping bag rated at 5-10 degrees.

Is the alpinists rated supposed to be with insulating clothing worn?

any ideas on how to make this work?

I can also rent a synthetic (heavy) bag from them if I need to.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Is it really going to be 5-15 degrees at night?

Is it a requirement that your bag be rated 5-15 degrees even if it won't be that cold?

Will they not let you come if you don't have a bag so rated?

If it is going to be that cold, maybe it's not a bad idea to borrow one of their heavier, warmer bags. I've found that once you get your pack weight down, you are freer to add a pound or two here and there for various reasons without pain.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Will, I think it depends on the insulated clothing.

I doubt you're going to get there with baselayers and fleece.

What kind of insulated clothing options do you have to work with?

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I haven't done a NOLS trip but I would be thinking about condensation more than anything. Assuming you are on a long trip in other people's shelters you may not know how your bag will perform. I got the foot of my down bag wet in my friend's tent because I got pushed up against the wall at night. Something like that might happen to you over a long trip in crowded tents. If your bag is already barely enough you don't want to lose loft (of course last time I checked NOLS required 10 degree bags for summer trips so you might be fine). If you can sew why not make a quilt with 7.5 oz insulation? That should be safe and lighter?

will sawyer

@wjsawyer

Locale: Connecticut

no sewwing abilty/means, so I'm stuck with what I've got. I think I'm just going to go with renting one. Its a month long trip in the Yukon, so I'm guessing water and condensation or going to be huge issues with down. And it might get that cold, were going to be doing some mountaineering.

If they thought it was inadequate they would force me to rent one, maybe I'll bring it and see.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

I think that's a good idea. Just bring it and if they allow it then great. Never hurts to ask.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools