Topic

Anyone Been in the Trinity Alps This Year? Potential Hikes in Sierras for early July?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Anyone Been in the Trinity Alps This Year? Potential Hikes in Sierras for early July?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Marilyn Pitts
    BPL Member

@maire

Locale: Southern California

I'm planning a backpacking trip for July 3-11. Original plan has fallen through and considering other options driving from the SF Bay Area. Some friend suggested Trinity Alps–anyone been there this year? Any hike suggestions? Recently at Donner Pass (6/6)–and noticed that spring is very late this year due to late snow/rain. Trying to take that into consideration when deciding where to go. Love the Sierras, so any suggestions from any of you who have been out there this year also would be great! Thanks!
    Maire

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Hiking trails are screwed up all over California this year. First of all, the snowpack was big, roughly 140% of normal, averaged over the state. Second, the spring season has been awfully cool, so the spring melt has not progressed normally. I've been checking around to trail conditions in the national parks, and most of them are at least one month late behind normal condition. It will be a struggle to find a normal place to go for early July.

I would not call the Trinity Alps in the Sierra Nevada Range.

–B.G.–

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I have not been to the Trinity Alps this year. I was there last year over 4th of July time frame. I can't say anything about the conditions for this year, but last year it was beautiful. It is different from the Sierras. More lush in the forested areas. I will definitely return someday. I highly recommend it.

Dave T

@davet

"I would not call the Trinity Alps in the Sierra Nevada Range."

I think you are misreading her post.

Also, the Trinity Alps are great. I've done a great four day loop that sees most of the high alps area. Want to go back for the "Trinity Alps High Route" or thereabouts.

Anthony Alpert
    BPL Member

@goby99

Locale: Trinity Alps

I live in Trinity County and I'm hoping to get out there in the next 10 days or so.

There is still quite a bit of snowpack (I'm looking at it now through my window), so I don't know when the lakes will be open. The Green Trinities (western part) may be an option. I never hiked there, but I might. Or I might do something on the coast.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Topic: "Anyone Been in the Trinity Alps This Year? Potential Hikes in Sierras for early July?"

I don't see that anything was mis-read.

–B.G.–

Dave T

@davet

Well, the OP said:

Planning a backpacking trip.
    Driving from Bay Area.
    Perhaps the Trinity Alps?
    Was up at Donner recently and lots of snow.
    Love the Sierra, so suggestions for there ALSO great.

Don't see how this means the OP thinks the Trinity Alps are in the Sierra Nevada range. Methinks it is a multivariate query (Who's been to the Trinity Alps? How about the Sierra?)

Anyway, proceed.

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Four Lakes Loop is nice, though I don't know the conditions this year.

I don't believe the hype about snow in mid-July. There will be plenty of options in the Sierra by then. And a little snow in the higher elevations isn't going to stop you. People are already up and about in Yosemite, and in another month, most everything will be doable. Just plan extra time.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Nate is correct about Yosemite starting…but even in July there will be loads of snow. I would look into Rancheria Falls. This area is 4-5000 feet with many great waterfalls. You just might get a loop out of this trip!

Dave T

@davet

Even if there is some/lots of snow, don't let it stop you. It will no doubt be sunny and hot (most likely), the snow will be well consolidated, it will be beautiful, and there won't be many people. Sounds good to me!

Looking for a campsite near Echo Lake, Trinity Alps, July 4 weekend, 2003.

trinity

Dave T

@davet

View from atop the Caribou Scramble, towards Emerald and Sapphire Lakes, late July 2005.

trnity 2

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

040 (2)
    Almost same picture Dave T (Aug.2004)

I was in Shasta-Trinity NF two weeks ago..The snow was at the higher elevations for sure. Things should be be opening up soon-more heatwaves please!!

rhonda rouyer

@rrouyer

Locale: deep south

What loop did you do?

Dave T

@davet

I just pulled out some topo maps and figured out a way to hike a loop out from and back to the same trailhead, mostly avoiding the places I went in a previous hike there.

From the trailhead near Preacher Meadow (Swift Creek?), hike north, up Parker Creek, the to Lillypad Lake, to Boulder Lake, up and over to Conway, Lion, and Foster lakes, way down to Union Creek, back south to Mumford Meadow, up to Horseshoe and Ward lakes, then way down Kidd Creek, north to trail to Caribou, around to Snowslide and Caribou lakes, over Caribou Scramble and way way down to Stuart Fork, up to Emerald and Sapphire lakes, tried to get to Mirror Lake but too overgrown, back down Stuart Fork, past Morris Meadows, hopped ridge to Deer Creek, up Deer Creek and over Seven Up Pass, past Granite Lake and down Granite Creek, back to trailhead. This hike is all on existing trail.

If I hadn't been there before, I would've added the four lakes loop (Luella, Diamond, Summit, and Deer) and easy use-trail up to the top of Siligo Peak before going over Seven Up Pass.

My next hike there will be some variation of the "Trinity Alps High Route" (Google it), trying to be off trail as much as possible, and up on the higher granite.

Loop. Trailhead is red dot, hike is red, purple at bottom is short loop around Four Lakes.

alps

Marilyn Pitts
    BPL Member

@maire

Locale: Southern California

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all your suggestions and updates (and double kudos for photos and map!). I apologize for my easy-to-misinterpret posting. It was a multi-query–Trinity Alps and the Sierras (I wanted to check out other options in the Sierras in case I nixed the Trinity Alps).

Anthony Alpert
    BPL Member

@goby99

Locale: Trinity Alps

A friend made it to Canyon Creek Lake last weekend. He said the lake is still frozen, except at the outlet.

BTW, how about trying to get to the hardest lake to find in California, Little South Fork Lake. As my late friend Wayne Moss said in his book, "The Little South Fork lake over on the South Fork of the Salmon is perhaps the toughest, most remote lake in the Trinity Alps, and it's not to be trifled with."

I've heard that from a couple of people. I think it's about 2-3 miles, and take 6 hours… all off-trail. Wow.

Oh, I just noticed that it's on the map above. That's the lake. You can get to it from Emerald Lake… 3,000 feet up, 3,000 feet down, in less than one mile, all off trail. It's brutal.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools