Topic

Homemade Prophet Type Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Homemade Prophet Type Pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    mark henley

@flash582

I made a Prophet style pack this weekend out of $1 a yard nylon ripstop from Sprawlmart. I used 3/8 closed cell foam for the shoulder straps ala G4 style.

Probably the slickest part of it is that I cut up a Wallmart Bug Headnet that I bought for $2 and used it for the outside pocket.

The whole rig, even with 1″ nylon webbing for the straps, comes to about 3.25 oz, approx. costs were $1 for material, $2 for the Headnet with elastic, $1 for the webbing material, $3 for the buckles from REI, and two free 3 inch strips from an old blue foam pad. $7 for a nice 20 L (inside) pack. I still want to add a strap over the middle with a locking buckle, but it’s good as is for now.

I’ll post pics as soon as I get my camera back up and working.

Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

si, please post pics soon! I love SUC (Super-Ultra-Cheap) gear.

I know other sites have had $300 challenges, etc for cheap gearlists. I bet you could do $20, if you made your own stuff from Wallyworld materials.

Ben

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I could do a $300 kit in my sleep with a 3 day hangover :) You might look like your mother dressed you funny, but…..

Benjamin Smith
    BPL Member

@bugbomb

Locale: South Texas

Dale,

I’ve seen some of the thrift-shop steals you’ve come up with, and I’m envious. I NEVER find that sort of stuff around here (San Antonio, TX), and I don’t know if I just have bad timing or if it’s due to the non-outdoor nature of the place.

You know you’re a Walmart DIY-er when…

Your tarp, backpack, groundcloth, stuff sacks, water bag, and poncho are all the same color.

Ben

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

YEEEEAH BAYBEEE! Swagadelic! The first confirmed sighting of a MLD named product being copied by a DYI’er. I’m truely flattered. LOVE IT! If I had time I might even post DYI instructions/specs for all… More power to ya! Since you are the first I’ve spotted, you are the winner of the “MLD 2006 Global DYI Sewing Contest Wild Marmot Recipe of Death Stew Award”… so send me your mailing address I’m a gonna send ya a grab bag of misc fabric and hardware to fuel your DYI fire. Really made my day…now back to filling backorders.

Elliot Lockwood

@elockwood

Ron,
    That’s “DIY” :)

kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

Nah, Ron meant DYI–do yourself in. DIY often leads to DYI out of shear frustration on some projects. ;-)>

Ron has a heap of backorders to fill, right now—- he may be contemplating DYI.

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Kevin, I am really enjoying your sense of humor! The Village People reference on day 9 of the Arctic 1000 site was great too. You and Dale keep me chuckling.

mark henley

@flash582

DYI can’t possibly match one of your designs, Ron …

You make some great stuff!

By the way … any thoughts on a XXL Devotion bag for us guys with wide shoulders? (there are at least a few of us out here) … I could use at least 68″ of shoulder girth.

mark henley

@flash582

Thanks Ron!

The huge grab bag of material and odds and ends will keep me in DYI heaven for some time!

Go Mountain Laurel Designs!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

“I’ve seen some of the thrift-shop steals you’ve come up with, and I’m envious. I NEVER find that sort of stuff around here (San Antonio, TX), and I don’t know if I just have bad timing or if it’s due to the non-outdoor nature of the place.”

The only other city I’ve done any thrift store shopping is Vancouver, BC, so that wouldn’t be a fair comparison either.

I never cease to be amazed at what I find, and the stuff is like new most of the time. I have learned to look closely and I’ve gotten an MBA in ourdoor clothing design– by the failures I’ve seen.

Basically, you need to ask, “why is this in a thrift store?” Here’s a tip: if you want to know what a garment has been through, look at the zipper pulls. If all is shiny and no nicks in the paint, etc, it hasn’t been used much. Then check the zippers for operation, and look at the cuffs, neck and hem– you’re looking for holes, nicks, frayed ends and so on. Check the elbows and knees and the butt. Look for stains, and torn pockets and bad zippers inside too. Turn pockets inside out to check for holes. I find money once in a while! Look for delaminations on interior coatings. On older Gore-Tex stuff, look for wiggly wrinkles– signs that it was cooked in a too-hot dryer and some of the membrane has stuck together. If rain gear has a mesh lining, try to look through it and or rub some of the inside cloth together to see if it is shedding the interior coating. I bought an REI jacket that had all the stuff inside flaking off. I washed it and the inside of the washing machine looked like a snow globe– there was white stuff all over. On pants that migh be used for skiing, look for cuts on the insides of the cuffs where they got their skiis crossed up and gashed the fabirc with a sharp edge. Check the elastic– really old stuff will stretch and not come back– OOPS! Finally, use your nose too– mildew and cat urine are two that I run into and neither are worth the trouble to try to correct.

We’re deep into yard sale season and it is a dilemma– shop or hike :) I’m trying to spend one weekend in town and another in the woods– trying….

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

Locale: dirtville, CA

dale, excellent tips. i’ve made a few “ohmygosh it’s only $6” mistakes myself.

i don’t know where you live, but i’m in the infamous Orange County. there are so many silly rich folk around here that the thrift stores can be a treasure trove. too bad i don’t snowboard, because i see a ton of that gear donated. too bad nobody ever donates a women’s size 8 wetsuit… i see lots of patagonia here. my best score ever? (alas, not packpacking related.) i got a $200 Mauviel copper saucepan for $7! bwahahahaha!!

vive le Goodwill!

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

I found a Marmot Prcip jacket in prefect condition this morning for $5 :)

mark henley

@flash582

20 L and the 30 L

Ron’s grab bag enabled me to make a version of the 30L …Different viewpoint

The 20L weighs in at about 4 oz with cheap $1 a yard nylon. The 30L weighs in at about 4.5 oz with Ron’s grab bag material.the 30L side view

I love this design … it fits to my back so much better when loaded than my IWishIWereaG6 clone … I couldn’t even tell it was there.

The 20L is perfect for my Sub 3 lb summer load. The 30L is better suited for my 6 lb Texas Winter load.

The design is so robust that I’m considering purchasing a 40L to replace my old “G” pack …. The suspension part is not something I’d like to tackle …. anyone have a picture of the new 40L … I’d love to see it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Mark Nice Pack’s did you generate a design template or pattern?

If so can I get a copy?

mark henley

@flash582

No design template or pattern … I just winged it as I went.

e-mail me at [email protected] if you want other details.

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

Looks good! I’m sure you will enjoy trying them out. Aslo, it occurs to me that the one item missing from almost everyone’s DYI pack projects is the pro quality 3D mesh for the under side of the pack straps. The good stuff is not avialable at any DYI site I know of, thru-hiker, OWFinc, etc. To support the DYI innovation area as an inportant incubator for all cottage products I will sell a 7″ X 25″ strip (plentry for two straps) for $6, includes postage. Just send the $ to Ron Bell, 921 Winona, Roanoke, VA 24015.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

This is really nice of you. I have looked everywhere for the “right stuff”. I have a new pack frame waiting for shoulder straps now so I will send you the money in tomorrows mail.

Thanks again.

mark henley

@flash582

That’s really great of you Ron! I’ve looked everywhere for that mesh to no avail ..

By the way:

When can we expect the new line of packs to be up on your website?

Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Locale: pugetropolis

Dear Mr. Bell,
    Thank you for your magnanimous offer. I hope a money order is okay.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools