Topic

Ti-tri / Caldera Cone: ideas for packing, storing, & protecting

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Ti-tri / Caldera Cone: ideas for packing, storing, & protecting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    . .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

I have been scratching my head over this for some time now and remain unsatisfied with my current solutions. Has anyone come up with a lighter solution to storing your Ti-tri or Caldera Cones that protects them well, packs easily, and doesn't take up excessive space (and hopefully is multi-use or light enough that it's not necessary)?

(Obviously this pertains to the regular size models and not the shortened ones that fit inside their own pots at a said sacrifice of some efficiency)

Some ideas thus far are:

– lightweight water bottles cut as sleeves or "pigs" (similar to stock solution but lighter weight and less protections)

– wrap around fishing pole handle

– 1.5 oz/sq. yd. Cuben stuff sack

– 2.5" bamboo section (interesting but heavy)

– two identical pots capped on end for hiking in pairs with bungee cord or stuff sack holding them together

– pot cozy + pot on end capped as above

– lightweight plastic "cutting board" sheet wrapped around with a rubber band

– tall light-weight wide-mouthed water bottle (anyone know of any?)

– put it inside a fosters can sans the lid (use the fosters can as a mug?)

– wrap it in the optional ti floor, cap the ends with round foam inserts and hope for the best (my favorite idea thus far, but haven't tried it yet) + optional .6 oz. Cuben stuff sack for wood burning mode to keep pack clean

*bonus props for pictures!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I'm still experimenting with mine. No full solutions.

I had purchased a 32-ounce plastic bottle of molasses and transferred the stuff to another container. I cut off the top of the bottle, and that left me with a single deep plastic mug of sorts. It is smaller in diameter than the standard caddy, so it is more compact, but there isn't much weight savings.

–B.G.–

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

P1010236
    550 Caldera Cone–My container comes in at 1.5oz vs. the original 3oz.. Smart water bottle
    P1010242

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

From an old thread:

Packing explained

Packing shown

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Doug – I like your setup – much like the original CC setup (cone in your mug/pot w/ plastic SOLO cup inverted).

Can you tell me about your Ti cup/glass? Weight, cost?

Looks good.

Todd

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

It's a Snow Peak TW-129. Weighs 1.5 oz, 5.3ml capacity. Around $25.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

I sent Aaron a PM suggesting he could:

a) wrap it around his lower leg, secure with rubber band(s) and use as a shin guard.

b) punch two small holes in the upper corners, attach a lanyard and hang around neck providing a protective chest plate.

c) punch two small holes mid point along the side edges, attach a lanyard to run under chin and wear as a visor.

All worthy of consideration and allows user to list items weight as worn instead of packed on trip gear list.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"It's a Snow Peak TW-129. Weighs 1.5 oz, 5.3ml capacity. Around $25."

Douglas, I believe you meant 5.3 fluid ounces, not milliliters.

Geez, 5.3 ml would be only a thimble full.

–B.G.–

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Douglas, I believe you meant 5.3 fluid ounces, not milliliters."

I don't drink much?

Of course, you're right! 5.3 floz. Oops! ;-)

Hught
    BPL Member

@hught

Not sure if it would work for the ti-tri, but for the regular Caldera Cone I use an empty Wet Ones dispenser (the size that fits in a car cup holder). Cone goes in first, then the fuel bottle and lighter in the middle and cap it off with the 12-10 stove. It weighs 1.2 ounces – couldn't get rid of the scent from lighter store brand dispensers. I think I got this tip here but can't find it now.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

This one is reasonably elegant @ 1 oz. exactly: (It saves almost 2 oz. for my 2l Titan Ti-tri packed)

tennis ti-tri

For use with the alcohol burner, you replace the tennis lid with the stove (inverted) and it sits rather snugly, although a strap would be in order to keep it together well. I also have a racquetball container that may work even better, although it is a bit more snug, so it wouldn't fit the alcohol burner.

(edit: The racquetball container is PET #1 plastic and comes in at 2.6 oz. w/ lid, which is too heavy in my book; the Penn tennis ball container is actually #7 plastic, which can be questionable for potability, rather than PP for the Trail Designs container.)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools