Topic

Finding 24 oz Heineken cans

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Finding 24 oz Heineken cans

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Patricia Combee

@trailfrog

Locale: Northeast/Southeast your call

I am having a hard time finding the Heineken keg cans. I have tried the local Kroger (very large store), Giant Eagle and wally world, but no luck. They do carry the 12 oz cans.
    I live near Morgantown, WV. Anyone have any suggestions as to a retail store I might find the 24 oz cans. My Fosters can is showing its age (I have no trouble finding the Fosters cans, go figure!). Thanks for any input.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

I hate to admit this, but my myog addiction, and cheapassedness, overcame my love for great beer, and when the local Ingles was offering these beers for $1.37 a can, I couldn't help but start drinking them.

The jist of this reveal, is that I've got literally contractor bags full of these cans. :P

I'll send you as many as you want if you cover shipping.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

How many cans can you fit into a contractor bag?

On second thought, I don't want to know.

–B.G.–

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Normally you need to go to an actual liquor store vs a big chain (at least in my city), but it may be cheaper to take Javan up on his offer unless you like Heineken.

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Locale: SC

I hate to admit this, but my myog addiction, and cheapassedness, overcame my love for great beer, and when the local Ingles was offering these beers for $1.37 a can, I couldn't help but start drinking them.

Sorry to hear you've turned your back on craft beer to drink Dutch semi-swill. The only good thing I can say about Heineken in a can is, unlike the ridiculous green bottles, it isn't skunked and actually has a little hop flavor left. All those people who love Heineken but object to it on tap actually like the light-struck beer in the green bottles (which only blocks out 25% of light) and obviously the kegged beer isn't light-struck. I'm a 10th level beer nerd in addition to a gear-geek.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Yeah, like I said, not proud of it. Although I wouldn't say I turned my back on the craft brew scene, just that I can't always afford the outrageous prices american brewers are expecting to get these days because of the beer boom going on right now.

It's especially taxed in GA, and with outlawed sale at the breweries, I cant even get growlers filled.

I've since become so sick of the heinekens I cant even talk myself into it on the worst of sober days, but its amazing how many of these low gravity stomach bombs you can consume in a night.

As you say though, when compared to the bottle, it's marks above.

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Locale: SC

[thread jack]

Brewing your own is remarkably cheap, easy, and gratifying! My house ale is a delicious English Special/Best Bitter and the last 5 gallon batch cost me $1.75 per six pack! It is better (to my palate) than 90% of American craft beer since it is specifically tailored to my taste.

[/thread jack]

Phil O’Connor

@philoconnor

Locale: Oh ya know

Well around here in New York they carry them at the grocery stores. Wegmans, Tops, etc and Gas Stations. Try Gas stations!

Patricia Combee

@trailfrog

Locale: Northeast/Southeast your call

Heck yeah! I would send you shipping for a dozen or so. I have checked gas stations, large grocery stores that carry darn near any beer you want; I have not checked drug store (we really don't have liquor stores anymore, darn pity).
    Just let me know how much you need for shipping and I will send you some loot. I really don't like Hennie, but I was prepared to drink a few for the cans. Sometimes you just have to take a bullet or two.

You guys just crack me up! Thanks for the fun and informative reading.

My Dad used to make home brew; Good stuff!

Bruce Fails
    BPL Member

@signupisapain

Javan,

Sorry to drag up a 6 month old post, but your profile says you don't have a PM e-mail set up.

Was wondering if you still had some of those 24oz Heine cans to unload?

You can PM me, respond here, or e-mail to bgfails at gmail dot com.

Thanks, and sorry again for the thread resurrection.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

That's freaking weird, considering I get like 50 pm's a day.

I just checked my profile and didn't see a PM link either.

The short answer is no, we moved from GA to NC and I didn't bring them with me, on top of that, I didn't even get about half of them sent off that I promised to people, which I'm pretty ashamed of.

It pretty much got forgotten in the move. =

I'm very sorry to those that I didn't get them to. If I make the trek down to the house in GA anytime soon, I'll try to pickup the stash of cans.

Bruce Fails
    BPL Member

@signupisapain

I saw your Asheville location. I live in Winston-Salem so the shipping was going to be CHEAP!! Oh well, the hunt continues. Thanks, anyway.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Bruce,

Foster's 24oz can's work good also. I'm using one these days for my cook setup with the TiGoat Microtus cone and stove. Maybe not as strong in the side-walls as the Keg Can, but atleast it can be used with a Caldera Cone.

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Locale: SW Idaho

Hey Bruce, and all. I have Heine cans in stock with the lid trimmed and the sharp edges sanded off. Pop top in tact. Ready for you to do any other DIY mods to the can that you would like.

Paul
    Arrowhead Equipment

Bruce Fails
    BPL Member

@signupisapain

Paul,

Thanks for letting me know. I took someone's advice and started looking in gas station coolers. I found some at the second station I checked, just about 1 mile from my house. Now I'm looking for some 12 oz Heine keg cans to try that Penny Stove I saw somewhere.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools