Topic

Northern Lites wet butt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Northern Lites wet butt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Lee Johnson
    Spectator

@ljohnson53

Locale: Central Oregon

I know this question is a little out of season, but it's been bugging me lately.

I have a pair of Northern Lite Elite snowshoes that get a lot of use here in MN. The only thing I don't like is that the binding system is so tight that it launches snow up into the air from the back of the snowshoe with every step as the snowshoe "flips" back up to the bottom of my foot. I've tried loosening the binding and it doesn't help. The problem is that it makes my backside cold from constantly being bombarded with snow. After one hike where my wife didn't wear waterproof pants she looked like she had peed her pants. Now she will only wear her old MSR snowshoes. Are we doing something wrong with the binding? Are we the only ones with this problem?

Ed Tyanich
    BPL Member

@runsmtns

Northern Lites, Atlas, Tubbs, Red Feather and others use a type of torsion bar on the binding. Atlas refers to this as SLS or Spring Loaded Suspension. This allows the snowshoe to rebound up for quicker transition between steps. Another advantage is if you need to back up, the tail will stay elevated rather than dropping down as you lift your foot.

Some snowshoes, such as MSR and the older Sherpa's, use a free pivioting binding.

My personal prefrence is the spring loaded, but they do allow snow to be flipped up on each step.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools