Topic

trip idea for 40-60 miles in TN/NC/SC/VA?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips trip idea for 40-60 miles in TN/NC/SC/VA?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Patrick S

@xpatrickxad

Locale: Upper East TN

I have 10 days off in mid-July and my plan to go to the Whites and finish the 4thousand footers is a bust to do my not so reliable volvo heading off to the salvage yard. I need my money for new wheels so I'm trying something more local.

I'm looking for a 3-7 night trip somewhere in the southeast. I was hoping some people could help me come up with some ideas on trails I'm not thinking of. I figure this was a good place to get suggestions.
    Maybe the foothills trail in SC or a loop in the Smokies. maybe the Art Loeb and then the John Muir and split up the week into 2 trips. I don't know.
    Basically I'm open to suggestions. I don't want to do a section on the AT because I've thru hiked and I don't want to do a section on the BMT because I hope to thru that next year.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

Pisgah national forest
    nantahala national forest
    linville gorge – lovely place, im going there for 5 days as well, they call it the "Grand canyon of the south"

AT/BT loop nantahala:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/60410

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

lst is about 37 miles and easy and then lots of good stuff around there too like shuckstack and charlies bunion. if you did the lst and ended at the dam, the trail to shuckstack is right there…one of the best fire towers from what ive heard.

cool area, but have to sleep in shelters in gsmnp…that kinda blows.

Patrick S

@xpatrickxad

Thanks for the suggestions. I've done Shuckstack and Charlie's Bunyon on my AT thru so I'm hoping for something new. Maybe the Bartram or something anybody here hike that? I appreciate all the feedback so far.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Some Ideas:
    – Sheltowee Trace Trail (212 miles total)
    – Link some trails in the Red River Gorge Wilderness area(s) and/or bushwhack your heart's content.
    – Big South Fork
    – Packraft the Hiawassee or check with the local rangers for trail link options.
    – Obed River Gorge (although I've only done an overnighter there and don't know how extensive the trail system is)

Patrick S

@xpatrickxad

Aaron, I don't need the suggestion of packrafting the Hiawassee as I'm already way too tempted into buying a packraft right now. Don't push me and my wallet haha

Thanks for your post. Its pretty much what I was looking for. Ideas on stuff in my backyard I didn't realize was there. I've never even heard of the Sheltowee Trace Trail. I'll look into that.

Kyle Crawford
    Spectator

@getupandgo

Locale: SouthEast

The Bartram Trail is one you should look into. I did it in January ( had the entire thing to myself). It's about 110 miles if I remember correctly. Also, it goes through the town of Franklin on day 3 or 4 so you can resupply meaning you can go light on food for the first half. Or if you didn't want to do the whole thing, you could end here. The Northern terminus is up in the Nantahala Gorge on Cheoah Bald which I'm sure you're familiar with since you thru-ed the AT already. Just a suggestion. Let us know what you choose!

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Sure thing, Patrick. It used to be my backyard as well and I am yet fond of the laureled hills and steep creeks. Let us know what you decide and how it goes! You'd probably have much of the Sheltowee to yourself as well, except for certain portions through the RRG, which are quite spectacular in scenery and topography.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools