Topic

Calling Sarah for the world’s best recipe

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Calling Sarah for the world’s best recipe

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

I'm planning our food for a upcoming trip. Sure would be nice to create a fantastic, surprise meal. I have a dehydrator.

Sarah,

what's the latest, hottest, best recipe idea your trail chef mind can conjure?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

George, you have to give her a hint. There's only about a million great recipes out there, and she only knows half of them.

–B.G.–

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Tell me what you love and what you hate ;-)

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

When I plan backpacking menus, they're sorted into 2 categories: nacho taters and everything else.

If you do a search for "nacho taters" and "curried chicken cranberry couscous" on this site you'll find 2 great recipes. Plus both threads have other terrific offerings.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

I like Sarah's Cranberry Chicken Rice (Freezer Bag Cooking, p.44). One of my favorites.

Her curried-chicken-cranberry-couscous or the rice will definitely be one of the meals. (http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/curried-chicken-cranberry-couscous)

Now back to the meal I want to create for my better half. Here is a Rachael Ray recipe that she really likes. I'd like to make a trail version of it…

INGREDIENTS
    Salt
    1 pound bucatini [change to Barilla farfalle pasta]
    Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling, plus 1 tablespoon
    8 slices smoky bacon, chopped
    3-4 spring Vidalia onions with a few inches of green tops intact, very thinly sliced or 2 leeks, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced, then washed and dried
    4 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
    1 red chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped or 1 jalapeño or red Fresno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
    2 pints ripe cherry tomatoes
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    Black pepper
    1/4 cup flat leaf parsley (a couple of handfuls), chopped
    A handful of basil leaves, torn or shredded
    A generous handful of grated Pecorino cheese, plus some to pass at table

PREPARATION
    Heat a large pot of water to a boil for [farfalle], season water with salt then cook pasta to al dente.

In a deep skillet or Dutch oven with tight-fitting lid, heat a drizzle of EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp; remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve on a paper towel-lined plate. Drain off some fat if the pan has more than a couple of tablespoons of drippings. Add the sliced spring Vidalia onions or leeks, garlic and hot pepper and sauté for 2-3 minutes, then add the tomatoes and stir to combine; cover the pan.

Shake the pan occasionally and cook until the tomatoes begin to burst, 6-8 minutes. Uncover the pot and mash up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon, add the wine and stir for 1-2 minutes. Season the sauce with some salt and black pepper, to taste, then reduce the heat to low.

When the pasta is ready, add a ladle of the starchy cooking water to the sauce along with the parsley, bacon and bucatini and toss for 1-2 minutes with an extra tablespoon of EVOO. Turn off the heat and toss in the basil and cheese; serve immediately.

http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=3321

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Dang,

I want that for dinner tomorrow!

And yes…that could be translated to a one pot meal using a quick cooking pasta like the mini Barilla pastas that cook in 7 minutes. You have me thinking!

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

How was it?

Keep that thinking going. : )

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I am working on it :-) I got busy this weekend coming up with new recipes for my REI presentations this week….then back to the drawing board!

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

This weekend is going will be dehydrator mania for me. Dry baby dry!

I'm finalizing my food for an upcoming five trip.

Will share my results.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Cool! Do share :-)

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

For I am weak.

Was really going to work hard all weekend drying and putting recipes together. Had the trail cookbooks ready. Was pumped. Ready to work.

Then my son and I decide to hike Saturday. That's all it took. Yes, I am weak.

So by Sunday night. I thought:; yikes!

So I bought some tasty sounding meals (mostly Mary J). Filled up some bags with nuts. Oatmeal. Trader Joe Honey Roasted Sesame Sticks, good looking breakfast pastries. Raisins. Healthy snack bars. Plenty of food.

Maybe next trip I can gather the strength to put the necessary effort into my trail food. Don't give up on me.

How this for sharing : )

Respectfully,

Sir Slacker-alot

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Lol….the Food Industry of America thanks you ;-)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools