Topic

If you were to make a Cuben rain jacket…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear If you were to make a Cuben rain jacket…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    >> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

If you were to make a Cuben rain jacket/shell what features would it have? The major disadvantage with Cuben fiber is zero breathability. Can vents really overcome this drawback? I have yet to do the calculations but I think a jacket in the 2 oz range would be feasible. I would be using .6 oz Cuben & a #3 zipper.

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

It'll have the exact same limitations of most hardshells with the addition of being fragile. That however, might be worth while making.

Some of the higher end hardshells have very well thought out ventilation, which helps significantly and you can replicate in your design. However lets face it, you're still going to sweat.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

If you are going to design a rain jacket, it ought to be a hooded rain jacket. Drawstring with cord lock around the face opening. Velcro flap over the zipper. A bit of elastic around the bottom edge. No pockets. No vents.

I have one in Pertex that I sewed myself. Four ounces. I have one in Sil-nylon that I purchased from AGG. Four ounces. They work good and last a long time.

–B.G.–

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Maybe a poncho would be better-
    Maybe a Cuben Gatewood Cape?

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

As long as it was not to be used in say 35 degrees F and raining conditions I would make it a short sleeved rainjacket (like a short sleeved shirt). I used to do this often with cycling pvc (non breathable) rain jackets. I would cut the arms off, but leaving short sleeves. A jacket like that ventilated well and provided adequate protection. Make the sleeves loose, ie not form fitting to allow airflow.

1. Saves quite a bit of weight.
    2. Your shoulders and upper arms are protected. Don't really mind forearms getting wet (like a poncho) as long as it's not too cold.
    3. The short sleeves really aid in ventilation and not overheating.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

That's an interesting idea. I guess it would work only if you wear a short-sleeved shirt and it's warm when it rains. That doesn't seem to happen much for me. Also, without sleeves, it's not as effective for multiple use.

What about mesh where pit-zips would go?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I've been thinking about making a cuben rain jacket (and pants) since I've got a bunch of extra 0.747oz cuben laying around.

I would make the jacket a pull over (ie. anorak) with a 1/3 zipper. I would use a waterproof/uretek zipper over a regular zipper so you don't have the hassle of trying to make a flap for it. A cuben rain jacket wouldn't have as wide of a comfort range as a normal rain jacket, but I think vents can do a lot. I would make it with a horizontal back vent with a flap (like a lot of old school windbreakers). This would be good for around camp but useless when wearing a pack. I would also probably do pit vents but maybe skip the zips and just have open vents.

If you wanted it to be multi-purpose as a vapor barrier, then you'd want to add elastic wrists and waist. Elastic or velcro wrists are probably a good idea regardless because it sucks have rain running down your arms when you arms.

I see the lack of breathability as being less of an issue with rain pants. The only real downside to cuben rain pants would be the abrasion resistance. I would probably bond a double layer of cuben over the butt and knee areas. Besides that I would keep it really simple with an elastic waist and loose ankles (for ventilation). I might add one pocket so the pants can store inside that.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Open pit vents might work if you build it like that back vent. Or you could get a little Momentum90 for that area.

Andy Berner
    BPL Member

@berner9

Locale: Michigan

What about do side zips that go from the bottom of the jacket up to the armpit and a little down the arm about as far as pit zips go. You could add a double zipper and adjust it to your likings, Although its just more zipper weight.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I have thought about this idea myself although i would probably use 1.1 Nylon instead of cuban. I was thinking about big pit zips and no hood. Instead if a hood I would wear a WPB hat. I figure this would give you some more breathability up the neck.

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

If you were to make a Cuben rain jacket…

You would use the new Breathable WP Cuben material…stay tuned…testing to begin soon..may work- may not..no more details available right now.

-Ron

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Um, guys? Ron just flipped the backpacking world on its side.

Edit: However, I did see that breathable cuben was mentioned on BPL as far back as '07.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

The creation of that stuff was inevitable. Unfortunately I doubt it will be available to us common folk for quite some time. The idea is tantalizing though. A breathable and truly waterproof fabric that doesn't have to be laminated to another fabric…amazing.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Thanks for the teaser nugget Ron.

Cubic Tech's website also mentions a broad variety of possible laminates for use with the UHMPE fiber. Even a breathable option, without being completely waterproof would be excellent for opening up options for gear development…especially in the lighter versions <.7

@Bender
    , have you contacted them directly to see about fabric options? What about a woven Dyneema version also? It seems that because of the light weight and non-breathability of the fabric, any place where the fabric would not have an sizable air gap between the skin and shell, moisture would easily ensue. Patagonia used to use a breathable Spectra (Dyneema) grid fabric in their Guide Shorts.

Another fabric I would like to see come out is a version without any laminate, but just the fibers, so it would act like a mesh. Perhaps if you ran .33 through the washing machine enough times you could have a viable alternative to nanoseeum netting at half the weight! The weight of bug-bivies and other bug gear could potentially be cut in half.

Anyone interested in a 2 oz. bug bivy or 4 oz. inner net tent?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I would make a very loose-fitting poncho. Probably along the lines of my MYOG Poncho or a Packa.

Cheers

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Exactly, and that is why the sil-nylon hooded rain jacket by AGG is very loose-fitting. Since the fabric does not breathe, you vent the thing by looseness.

–B.G.–

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

Ron let us know when you can tease us with more info on breathable waterproof breathable Cube!

I like the idea of a short sleeve full zip rain jacket with hood. Perhaps I can make the sleeves removable with a little Velcro. A waterproof zipper may make things a little less complex. If I use taper or glue I won't need to do any seam sealing!

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

>Ron let us know when you can tease us with more info on breathable waterproof breathable Cube!

Let's just hope that Ron simply hasn't taken a hole punch to regular cuben fiber! The holes breathe, and the cuben itself is still waterproof!

D G
    Spectator

@dang

rainjacket

This is what those pvc rainjackets look like. I didn't mention it before but you will note that they have mesh running up the sides and under the arms. Also, they don't use a zip, if I remember correctly there is a strip of velcro used to close it. The velcro has the advantage that you can open up the jacket at the top, bottom, middle, etc for ventilation. These jackets are cheap, usually $19 or so, sometimes on sale for $10.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Daniel that PVC jacket looks a lot like what I was thinking about. Can you tell me anything about breathability?

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Hi Luke,
    The PVC jacket has zero breathability. It relies on venting. Note the mesh running down the sides and under the arms. plus you can open the front to let in air.

When I used these for cycling I would cut the arms off just above the elbows. This would allow more ventilation in the arms. When you use them actively, they do get some wetness on the inside with condensation.

Daniel Rappaport

@danrap

Hello Dan Goldenberg. THis post is out of order, but I didn't see an option to directly email you. I am Dan Rappaport I live in Seattle and I am trying to build a tarp for an upcoming bike trip across the country. The cuben fiber is paid for and being delivered but I wanted advice on where to attain tape (3m 9460) and the primer 94. please email me back at [email protected].
    Thanks,
    Dan

Dustin F

@dirtt

Locale: So. California

I made one about a year ago using the .33 stuff. I made it in the fashion of an OR zealot. It is a sauna inside without pit vents and with pit vents would only be slightly less. Sure it weighs 1.5 or so ounces but it is pretty much worthless except for sitting around or emergencies.

The thread is around here somewhere, I posted pictures of it.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Hi Dan,

I'm afraid I don't really know anything about making stuff out of cuben fiber and have no idea what type of tape or primer to use. My comments where only about general rain jacket features for a non-breathable rain jack.

You might just post your question on the gear making forum here, I'm sure you'll get plenty of answers, as there are some very knowleagable folks here that will be happy to provide info.

Also check out Steve Evans' website (google suluk46). He posts on these forums and I believe has a video on his site showing how he made a cuben tarp, what adhesive he used, etc.

Best of Luck

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools