Topic

gear list, JMT, solo, July

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists gear list, JMT, solo, July

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

Locale: Southern California

This seems to be a hot-button issue among backpackers. In a different thread running in parallel with this one, a bunch of people are insisting vehemently that old-school bear-bagging works just fine. Maybe we should combine the two threads and see how quickly Godwin's law sets in :-)

Dirk wrote: "The rules apply to everyone for a reason."
    As Scott pointed out, using an ursack is not the same as being illegal. Seems to me that my current plan is 100% legal. I use a half-size bearvault from Yosemite Valley to Muir Trail Ranch. At MTR, I pick up my resupply, which includes the ursack. The ursack is legal from there to Pinchot Pass. By the time I get to Pinchot my food once again fits in the bearvault.

I would be interested in seeing any impartial evidence about the effectiveness of ursacks. The manufacturer's latest updates are here: http://www.ursack.com/ursack-update.htm . They lost their lawsuit in 2009, and it's now on appeal. Interesting to hear that SIBBG no longer exists. Ursack claims a perfect record of no failures in 2009, worldwide. Here's a video of a grizzly in a zoo failing to get into an ursack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf67hadozA8 One thing that seems clear to me is that bearproofing is like birth control: it's a lot less effective if you don't use it correctly.

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

Hi, Amy —

Thanks for your thoughts on raingear. This comment rings true for me: "people prepare for what they have experienced in the past. Then something unexpected happens (usually weather) and they can't cope."

What would you suggest for rain gear? I have a goretex jacket, which I normally only take with me in the spring, not summer. The darn thing is very heavy and bulky.

When you describe the 6 search and rescue operations during a storm, can you give me a clearer picture of what these people were doing and how things got to the point where they needed rescue? Were they climbing, or just backpacking? Did they get caught on a high pass during a summer snowstorm? Were they on a big artery like the JMT, or somewhere more remote? I'm trying very hard to imagine a worst-case scenario where I'd be putting myself in that kind of danger on this trip, and not having much luck coming up with one where rain gear would make a difference in terms of survival, as opposed to enjoyment. Actually the really nasty life-threatening possibility that I can easily think of is that a nasty, windy storm comes along, and my tarp skills aren't good enough, so my down bag gets thoroughly soaked. But I don't see how rain gear would help there. Without rain gear, is the big danger that I get thoroughly soaked coming over a high pass, and develop hypothermia before I can get over the pass, put up my tarp, and crawl into my sleeping bag?

Joel Waddell

@tenderpaw

Locale: Lake Tahoe

Ben
    The combination of the two offers great versatility. I have reached a point (for now) that I will carry the bear vault 450 until Muir trail ranch, where my resuply box will contain my food plus an ursack.

I feel comfortable but still sleep with one eye open when hanging my grub. Never had a bear get my food when it's hung, but always have to be aware that it is possible, but then again ANYTHING is possible. A BV 450 and an Ursack for extra is as close as I come to making up my mind.

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

Joel wrote: "The combination of the two offers great versatility. I have reached a point (for now) that I will carry the bear vault 450 until Muir trail ranch, where my resuply box will contain my food plus an ursack."
    Hope it works well for you — otherwise I'll feel guilty for having influenced you to go down the Wrong Path :-)

Seriously, though, hope you have a great hike! When are you going? Maybe I'll see you on the trail. I'm starting from Yosemite Valley on July 14.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I'll also be on the JMT, starting a few weeks after you on July 28th. Unless it is an issue of pack space/volume, why not carry a BV500 for the whole trip? Using the manufacturers weight listings:

BV450 + Ursack: 2 lbs, 1 oz and 8 oz = 2 lbs 9 oz.

The BV500 = 2 lbs 9 oz.

For the record, I have both a BV450 and a new BV500 I recently got for this trip. I'm finishing up my food list now, but hope to fit everything in the BV500.

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

That's one scenario. A few years ago there was a huge storm that washed out some roads, and left a few un-prepared people in near freezing, cold weather. Scary. I was up near Sonora Pass last August and a stormfront came through that didn't relent for a day. It was too cold and windy to continue on the route (PCT up on the crest for 10 miles, exposed.) We had rain gear and fleece, but it was just too windy and cold without balaclavas and handshells. So we bailed.

You can get cheap rain protection in Dri-ducks rainsuit or poncho or even a light, cheap emergency poncho. If you're up high with no way to get down quickly and the trail turns into a river of hail and freezing water, you might want the extra warmth rain gear will provide. Once your windshirt is thoroughly soaked it's not going to do much to keep the windchill at bay.

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Benjamin,

We use Dri Ducks. The top and bottom weigh 12.5 oz. If you weren't going to take anything than take the top only. We hiked last year on our trip for the better part of a day with rain and were glad to have the Dri Ducks. We kept hiking and stayed dry. It was a nice day to hike. Cool temps, no harsh sun nor dust.

Remember, they size really large. If you wear a large order a medium, for example.

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

Hi, Steven,

It's true that the half-size bearvault is inefficient in terms of the weight of the canister divided by the amount of food you can fit in it. Here are the bearproof containers I own:

half-size bearvault, 33 oz
    ursack, 8 oz (without liner)
    Garcia, 44 oz

You're right, the bearvault plus the ursack is not much less than the Garcia. One problem with the Garcia, for me, is that it doesn't fit sideways in my Gossamer Gear pack. That makes it really difficult to pack everything so that it's comfortable and balanced side to side.

The other thing is that with the bearvault+ursack plan, I save 11 oz for the first half of the trip, compared with the Garcia.

But maybe you're right, and the simplest plan would be best. I think maybe I'll spend some time packing the various combinations to see how they work out.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Benjamin

Biased opinion: scrub the Gore-Tex! It is seriously way too heavy.

Now, have a look at these photos:

Bad weather at Chorten on TMB France 2007 4081
    Filthy weather ALL day in French Alps
    Col de Bressons France GR5 4097
    Torrential rain which turned into snow at the Col (French Alps)
    Col de Bonhomme France 2007  4087
    Col du Bonhomme, summer time (French Alps)
    In each case all we had was a silnylon poncho (my MYOG design actually) and some GoLite Whims, over taslan clothing. Yes, we got a bit damp, but the gear was quite enough to keep us adequately warm while we were moving.

What was far more important was that we had a good tent to get into in the evening. Sure, it weighed a few hundred grams more than a basic tarp, but it sealed out the weather and we could get dry and warm up, and cook.

> the big danger that I get thoroughly soaked coming over a high pass, and develop
    > hypothermia before I can get over the pass, put up my tarp, and crawl into my sleeping bag?
    You are absolutely right here. Crucial here is to block the wind. Doesn't matter too much if you are wet, as long as your wet clothing is not getting icy cold rain pouring through it and the wind is blocked from freezing you to death. Even the lightest silnylon can do this, if properly used.

Yes, there have been times when both my wife and I have been somewhat hypothermic by the time we got the tent up and us inside. There have been times when we have had to help each other just undress out of our wet clothing. But the shelter given by a good tent makes all the difference. I cannot emphasise this too much in the mountains.

Cheers

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ben,

In response to your request for more info about the Sierra storms I've experienced. I thought about sending via PM instead, but maybe somebody else is interested.

My suggestion is that you build a gear list that lets you cope with a 24-48 hour rain, rather than assuming your worst weather will be afternoon showers. If you plan to set up your shelter before you get wet/chilled, and wait out any rain, even if it takes a day or two, then your strategy should be fine. It's not what I would do, but it will work. Alternately, if you're a very strong hiker, you could set off in the rain and hike quickly to the next backcountry ranger station or out via the next available trailhead, relying on burning calories to keep warm. With the hike-fast strategy you'll only get into trouble if you suffer an injury.

The rain gear I would take for a July high Sierra trip would be a home made silnylon rain coat and rainpants. Many people prefer silnylon poncho instead of coat, either way. You can buy an 8 oz commercial raincoat (like the Marmot Essence), and that will serve as a warm layer in camp too. My silnylon coat weighs 4.5 oz and packs compactly.

About the storms I mentioned.
    The 68 hour storm was a friend ~30 years ago. It was in August, and it was a summer monsoon storm that didn't stay down in Arizona where it belongs. He spent 3 nights and 2 days in the tent. He was delayed 2 days in his exit, which caused his wife a lot of worry, but he was safe and sound. Using a SPOT tracker would have allowed him to send an OK message to his wife so she wouldn't freak out.

One of our big storms was in the early 90's, last week of August. We were at the end of a descent of Goddard Creek, into the Middle Fork of the Kings River at Simpson Meadow at 6000'. It started raining late afternoon, before we reached the Kings. It rained/hailed/snowed all night, and all through the next day. Rather than wait it out and let the snow melt (which it definitely would have done given the date), we put on our warm clothes and rain gear and continued — up the Middle Fork Kings and over Muir Pass. The hike through LeConte was perhaps the most beautiful day I've ever hiked. It rained/snowed intermittently the whole day, and there was a foot of snow on the ground in LeConte Canyon. The intermittent views of the canyon walls in the storm clouds were fantastic. If we hadn't had rain gear we would have stayed in the tent all day, where we would have been FINE and SAFE, just delayed for 1-2 days. In a storm like this, your strategy to wait under your tarp should work. If it happens to you, you'll do your family a favor by having a SPOT device so you can notify them that you are OK even if you don't exit on schedule. Our experience was ~20 years ago, and we had no way to notify our family of a deliberate delay, which was part of the reason we chose to hike through the storm.

The other storm we experienced was a late season storm, mid October. At that time of year the snow will not reliably quickly melt, so you need to get yourself out before the snow accumulates too much. In July, when you are going, all snow will melt within a few days.
    The deaths and the high-profile SAR efforts in this storm are described here:
    http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/0502/excerpt3.html
    http://www.friendsofyosar.org/rescues/missions/10-19-04.html

There were at least 4 or 5 SAR efforts for hikers, but they are not described on the SAR site. Here's one press story
    http://articles.sfgate.com/2004-10-20/bay-area/17449871_1_hikers-santa-cruz-area-search-team

My recollection of two of the hiker rescues:
    One was a small group that was not skilled enough to be in the mountains in October. They did not have equipment to stay warm, and they did not know how to find their way out in low visibility stormy weather after the trail tread became hidden by snow. SAR team took 3 or 4 days to reach them, and they were very happy to see SAR. They were classic examples of the article I read (people die because they prepare for what they have experienced in the past) — after the rescue they said that for 20+ years they have taken weekend trips in the Sierra in Oct because there are no crowds and the weather is great. Except for 2004, when the weather was not great.

The second SAR was a small skilled group of hikers. They had appropriate clothing and storm worthy shelter, and they were not worried about navigation. They chose to stay in their tents for the duration of the storm, which lasted 3 or 4 days. SAR was initiated when they didn't exit on schedule because SAR didn't know that they were not seeking a rescue. Also, in this case, a SPOT tracker would have allowed them to send an OK message which would have saved SAR and their families a lot of effort and angst.

In this October 2004 storm, we were off trail on the far side of a boulder/scree pass. We started our exit as soon as it was light, in order to get over the pass and descend to a lower elevation as soon as possible, as snow was rapidly accumulating. With the snow masking the placement of scree and rocks, it was very slow going. After a few hours we crossed the pass and reached the trail. We then had a 10 or maybe 15 mile hike down to the car. As we descended the snow turned to sleet and then rain. It continued heavy precipitation all day. We hiked ~12 hours that day to get back to the car. Without raingear we would have been very cold, although I think we would have been OK even in that case (assuming no injury) because we were strong enough to hike 12 hours without resting.

The interesting thing about the Oct 2004 storm was that it hit us by surprise. In Oct trips in the Sierra, we go out for 4 days max so we can get a reasonably sound weather forecast. And the 4th day was to be on trail, so if it did storm on day 4 it wouldn't have been a challenge. As of evening Oct 15 the 4-day weather forecast was good. We ate dinner on our second evening, Oct 17, and it was perfectly clear and calm. By midnight it was howling. By morning there was 8" snow on the ground, and piles of snow blown onto the tent.

I'm a conservative person when it comes to these sorts of things, and I prefer to be prepared for unexpected problems. On the JMT, getting lost is not a problem unless you are seriously unskilled. But a combo of injury and bad weather can quickly complicate things, and I like to know I'm prepared to cope without assistance.

Again, everybody chooses their strategy and level of risk tolerance. My suggestion is only this — it is possible to have a 2 or 3 day storm in July or August. Not likely, but possible, so have a plan for what you'll do if it happens to you, and have the gear to support that plan.

Sorry for the long past. But I've now bared my soul and I'll retreat :)

Have a great trip in July, and don't let the mosquitoes suck you dry!

Amy

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Amy, I was also in that storm..in Emmigrant Wilderness…Lucky for us we were just below the snowline and in the morning we hightailed out of there. We lucked out.

As for anyone going into the Sierras without rain gear in the summer. All I can say that your choice is quite stupid if you do not bring protection.

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

Hi, Amy —

Regardless of my eventual choice of gear, I really want to thank you for taking the time to write that very detailed and helpful post!

Sounds like you use a SPOT. How do you like it? I'm put off by the $100/year subscription fee. What do you think of PLBs versus SPOT? The JMT is heavily traveled, but if I was going to do a lot of hiking in more remote areas, I'd definitely think seriously about investing in either a PLB or a SPOT. I have a ham radio license, and 2-meter-band ham radios are extremely compact and lightweight these days (4.6 oz). But 2 meters is line of sight only, and although you might get through from a ridge or peak in the backcountry, it would be kind of a crapshoot.

-Ben

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

One model PLB I looked at had a battery life guarantee for one year. Replacement batteries run at least $100. One at REI was $175. So, if you have to replace the battery every year, the annual subscription for the SPOT might not be so bad.

http://www.plbrentals.com/

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Frank, the PLBs made by ACR and McMurdo have 5-year batteries. You have to send them in for replacement after 5 years; the replacement battery is then guaranteed for another 5 years.

I very much doubt that I will replace the battery in the 11-oz. ACR Microfix I bought 2 1/2 years ago. There are already PLBs around (McMurdo Fastfind 210) that weigh half as much and cost half as much, which have me sorely tempted. In 2 1/2 years they'll probably have PLBs that can walk and talk and weigh only 2 oz. There is already an add-on feature (for ACRs) that will send OK messages like the SPOT.

The same is true, of course, of the SPOT gizmos; they come out with a new and improved model just after you pay the renewal subscription on the old one!

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

One thing about the PLB/SPOT thing is that it seems to me that it just readjusts people's expectations. There's the phenomenon of risk compensation, where, e.g., antilock brakes just encourage people to drive faster and tailgate more. I heard a story recently about some guys who activated their SPOTS, got helicoptered out, hiked back in to retrieve their equipment, and then got scared and activated their SPOT again. Besides encouraging hikers to take risks, the SPOT may cause family at home to worry the same amount while receiving a greater amount of information.

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ben,

There are many threads about PLBs and SPOTS here, with lots of conflicting opinions and lots of descriptions of people who misuse one or the other device. I can't control how other people use or misuse SPOT, but I will share my rationale and protocol.

I started using SPOT after an extended conversation with the former head of the SAR team for north Wales. The mountains of northern Wales are not high altitude or remote, but they are heavily used, the terrain is rugged, and the weather is notoriously fierce. Their SAR team stays busy. He said "Given today's communications technology, it is a selfish act to be out in the mountains with no means to communicate, because you are putting other people's lives at risk." Purists like Jim and me prefer to be "out there" deliberately disconnecting from civilization. But things go wrong, even for the most skilled and prepared people, even for conservative people who don't intend to push limits. And if something goes wrong and you have no means to communicate, then there WILL be a SAR effort, initiated by your family. And a SAR effort, depending on the season and location, is a serious affair. In my wilderness first aid class the instructor emphasized that you should initiate a rescue only for serious situations because every year there are SAR team fatalities — i.e. unless your problem is serious enough to warrant risking somebody else's life, you should not ask for SAR.

The fellow in Wales made a compelling case, and we have started to carry a SPOT. Here's our protocol, which is geared to avoiding SAR, rather than requesting it. There are four buttons on the SPOT2. We use them as follows:
    1. we are deliberately changing our itinerary for sound reasons. Don't be alarmed that our track is leaving our intended route or our exit is delayed. Everything is under control. [for example, staying still waiting out a storm]
    2. In a sticky situation but not ready to call for help, please monitor our SPOT messages. [for example, Jim broke his leg, but we think we'll be able to get ourselves out unassisted]
    3. Can't self-extract without assistance. NOT URGENT, but please send help. Expect 2-6 day response. [for example, lost but safe and warm. Or broken leg and can't travel, but safe and warm].
    4. 911. Perceived near term threat to life or limb.

I've never studied the protocols people use with with PLBs, so I can't compare. For my purposes, I believe the SPOT can fulfill my desire to avoid unwarranted SAR risk/effort. Hopefully our good fortune will hold and we'll never need to request assistance. And now that we have the SPOT, we have a way to tell our families NOT to request assistance when we know that we don't need it.

As to whether a JMT hiker should carry SPOT, that's a personal choice. Similar to the raingear discussion, my only suggestion is that you make the decision considering the things that might go wrong and how you would deal with them, rather than thinking about if things are going according to plan. For example, if you leave VVR and are going slower than expected, and think you'll reach Whitney Portal one day late, will your family worry? Did you already set their expectations that you may be X days later than planned, so don't worry? Or will they call the officials immediately? If they will call the officials immediately, then you might be tempted to exit at an earlier trailhead, just to avoid the situation. Would that be OK with you, or would you rather ration your food a little and complete the trip one day later?

Have a FANTASTIC trip. Amy

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Geez, if somebody got hurt on the JMT between VVR and Whitney, there's going to be a hundred hikers per day going past. All you need is a good GPS receiver to determine exact position (or else a good map), and then a small piece of paper and something to write with. You write down the nature of the emergency (broken leg or whatever) and have hikers carry those notes in each direction out to a telephone. Sure, it's going to take a few days.

Anybody can expect to get slowed down by a storm, and that can throw them off a day or two, easily. No way you would want any searchers mobilized for a storm slowdown.

–B.G.–

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Many years ago (25-30?) there was a young couple who backpacked up the Mount Whitney trail to camp at Trail Camp. This was in early September (when the weather gets iffy). Of course, they were camped along with dozens of southbound JMT walkers. A big storm blew up and dumped a lot of wet snow at that 12,000-foot camp. Immediately, half of the campers bailed and headed down the trail. The young couple had cheap gear, so their tent was leaking and the cold water was ponding inside it. Their sleeping bags were wet, and they were getting miserable. The wet snow continued to deepen, so the other half of the campers bailed also, and the young couple was left alone there, cold and wet. They didn't have the experience to have decent equipment in the first place, and they just didn't know when to give up, and they didn't know to ask for help. Finally, when the snow had obscured the trail completely and everybody was gone, they ditched their gear and tried to make a run for it. Their bodies were recovered at 11,000 feet a few days later.

–B.G.–

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

We're taking a spot. Probably totally unnecessary, but there are a handful of scenarios it'd be nice to have in. Rattlesnakes, lightning strikes, injurious falls, extreme illness, washout flooding, etc.

I get tired of hearing the naysayers throw the baby out with the bathwater on Spots and PLBs. Are there some people who feel emboldened by them to take risks they wouldn't normally take? Sure. There are a lot of people in the world after all. The vast majority of people, though, probably still value their life exactly the same with the SPOT in their pack as without. I know I do, so I have no problem taking it. Plus, it gives your friends/loved ones a way to connect with you while gone. Which is just fun.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I carry one for the peace of mind that my wife gets. I did a hike last summer around the Muir Pass area and we came across another lightweight backpacker on a solo trip. He decided to stay and camp with us for the night. As he was setting up his camp for the night he pulled out his spot and hit the "ok" button. By the time he finished dinner the message was sent and we all retired for a little fireside chat before turning in for the night. THAT convinced me right there that a SPOT would be a nice tool to have to keep others informed that I am ok in the mountains. I don't bring my SPOT for a false sense of security, but a device that informs others of where I am and if I am ok. With each mulit day trip that is taken, my wife knows where I am, where I am heading and a general time frame to hear from me when I get out. She also knows all of my bailout points in case of anything happening. As long as I press the ok button, there is no nead to worry on her part. Another useful thing about SPOT is that you never know when you have to assist on an emergency.

George Reynolds
    BPL Member

@justcheckinmike

Ben,

Nobody likes to carry the weight of a bear canister, but the fines for not using an approved canister can be large and you could be ask to leave the trail which is a big deal.

While you may disagree with the regulations they are inforced in most jurisdictions, you might want to ask during your planning.

Food for thought.

Mike R.

Mike

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

George wrote: "Nobody likes to carry the weight of a bear canister, but the fines for not using an approved canister can be large and you could be ask to leave the trail which is a big deal."
    Thanks for your comments. If you look at page 2-ish of this discussion, I think my current plan (not the original one) is 100% legal.

Bob wrote: "You know that a bear can will protect the bears."
    Well, this is not quite true. Nothing is 100% protection, and in fact I'm convinced that an ursack, used properly, provides the same protection as a Garcia. Backpacking since the mid-70's, the only time I've ever had food taken from me (back in the 80's) was a situation where a bear walked in on me and my father in Little Yosemite *while we were eating.* I don't think bear canisters existed back then, but in any case the bear canister wouldn't have prevented the bear from getting our food. (It got a box of crackers that we had out for a snack.)

I agree 100% with the fact that bearproof containers are mandatory. I think they're great. But since the ursack is, IMO, just as good as a Garcia when used properly, I'll use an ursack wherever it's legal. Using an ursack where it's *not* legal is IMO a legal issue, not a moral one, but in any case I don't want the hassles of doing so.

-Ben

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Commenters here seem to think that bear cannisters are required the length of the JMT or throughout the entire Sierra, but the OP is quite right. Bear cannisters are only required in the national parks, Ansel Adams Wilderness areas, and Rae Lakes area. View sierrawildbear.gov for an interactive map showing where you can legally use an Ursack (or tree-hang method) in the Sierra. It's also possible to do a thru-hike without using a bear cannister if you hike fast enough. One can stay at backpacker's campgrounds with bear boxes (Tuolomne, Red's Meadow, etc.) and move very quickly through the restricted areas and avoid the requirement.

Dave T

@davet

as nate said, there are specific areas where canisters are required. there are large areas where they aren't. either way, make sure to practice good anti-bear food storage, whether in canister, hang, etc.

see map at:
    http://sierrawild.gov/bears/food-storage-map

Carl Zimmerman
    BPL Member

@carlz993

Rain gear – I used only a rain jacket and wind pants (no WP) on a JMT attempt in 98 (partner had severe feet problems during the hike & we had to bail out early over Bishop Pass). Nasty storm hit use for several days (Pacific Hurricane that petered out but dumped lots of moisture in the mtns). Even hiking uphill, my legs were very cold. The driving rain was cold & nasty.

Bear canisters – I couldn't stuff all my food in my BV out of Muir Trail Ranch. I mailed my Usack (old model) as a backup w/ my food resupply. That worked until I could get everything back in the BV. Wouldn't consider hiking w/o one in the Sierras. Frequently don't use it in other locales.

Spot – Keeps the 'boss' happy on the home front. Great insurance for those who wander in the backcountry. Had an occasion to 'almost' use it to call for help (in Grand Canyon). My buddy was having diabetes problems. Nice to have that option if it turned for the worse. My 'Boss' has also had some medical issues (now has a clean bill of health now… but, you never know). I carry the Spot for her as well.

Tent – Like my tarp tent. Haven't experienced driving hard rain in mine yet. But, I was with w/ a friend of mine a few years ago that used his tarp tent a driving rain storm above timberline (CO). I kept expecting him to bail out of his tent and jump into mine (Stephenson). He never did. He stayed completely dry. Needless to say, I bought me one.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools