Topic

The Food Trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports The Food Trip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

BOUNDARY WATERS-2010 (The Food Trip)

On May 28 I paddled into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area with my brother Mike, his son Chris, his son in law Geoff and Chris’ two friends Ian and Greg. We portaged to Wood Lake which was 180 rods from a mostly empty parking lot. Due to the amount of gear carried, the three kids had to go back and get 3 extra packs (by now you know this trip wasn’t UL). Once on Wood Lake four of the guys tossed in lines and within
    30 minutes we had a few northerns on stringers. We did a 50 rod portage to Hula and then another 150 into Good where we found a great campsite high above the lake. That night Chris and I made paella for dinner. It was the first of several incredible meals. We hung around the campfire until about 10PM and it was lights out. The next morning breakfast was an egg bake that had chorizo, andouille sausage, hash browns and a dozen eggs. Fishing wasn’t quite what we expected but it’s hard to argue with 75 degrees and sunny. We salvaged the day with a dinner consisting of steak, candied carrots, baked potato and coleslaw. We sat around the fire until 11:30. The next morning we were up early at 5:30 because we wanted to travel to Indiana Lake to try for smallmouth bass; for breakfast we had pancakes and polish sausage. That Sunday turned out to be the most incredible day of smallmouth fishing I have ever seen. It didn’t matter what we threw in the water, the smallies slammed it. You could hardly count the number of fish we caught. It was a great day for catch and release. Once back a camp we gorged ourselves on fajitas and once again stayed up until 11:30. Memorial Day we were up, packed and on the water by 7 AM since we were moving our camp back to Wood Lake. After setting up camp and eating lunch we headed out to try and catch some walleye for dinner. Fishing was slow but we caught enough. That night dinner consisted of hash browns, coleslaw and enough fish to make anyone happy. We finished up with fresh apple cobbler which my nephew made in a small aluminum Dutch oven. It was another great late night. The next morning we tore down after breakfast and headed out. We were in Ely by 9:15 and after a short break for coffee and rolls we headed home.
    I’ll always remember this trip for the camaraderie and great bass fishing, but especially for the quantity and quality of food. The following link shows some of our pictures.
    Wood Lake Entrance

Anonymous
    Inactive

"After setting up camp and eating lunch we headed out to try and catch some walleye for dinner. Fishing was slow but we caught enough. That night dinner consisted of hash browns, coleslaw and enough fish to make anyone happy."

Oh Lordy, how you make my mouth water! It doesn't get any better than pan fried walleye and potatoes. Was there ever a better tasting fresh water fish?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools