Topic

Ultralight Travel

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Ultralight Travel

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet
    Phil O’Connor

@philoconnor

Locale: Oh ya know

Wow, Some of his website (blog?) is hard to navigate but its really interesting stuff to read! so far I'm really impressed and it seems I've just begun.

This guys got it down pat!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I carry two sets of clothing — one on my person and the other in my backpack. When staying in hotels, I wash my clothes in the evening (5 min.) and they are either completely or mostly dry by early morning. I can easily imagine ditching the second set. There are times when I wear/wash just one set — and not even bother unpacking the second set.

However, when staying in hostels with roommates and shared bath, you need a second set. :)

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I've done the same as Ben for traveling–2 sets of clothing (one on me and one in my pack), every evening spot clean the outer clothing and rinse out socks and undies. If outer clothing needed more than spot cleaning, I'd take it into the shower. I do take pajamas when traveling, though, so the daytime clothing can dry! Every couple of weeks I'd find a laundromat and do a real laundry.

Packing light allows more room for important souvenirs picked up while traveling, such as bottles of wine in la belle France!

For backpacking, only one set of clothing (on me) and use my base layer (normally not worn while hiking) at night.

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

I remember about 25 years ago traveling through Europe and running into a traveller from Eastern Europe. He had two small sleeping bag stuff sacks with all his clothing and needs. He simply tied the draw strings together and threw it over his shoulder……awesome.

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

The Chinese travel with incredibly small wheeled bags and many businessmen just buy spare clothes since markets are everywhere or just in the street. Everyone uses all the light fixtures and fans or air-con to dry their sink laundered clothes.But most hangers are set up to not be removable from racks. A portable clothesline helps a lot and weighs little. You can get hotel laundry service but it is incredibly expensive and pointless.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools