Topic

Pillowfight! Kookabay vs. Exped

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pillowfight! Kookabay vs. Exped

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

Now that I'm cutting back on all the clothing I bring along on trips, I don't have much to use as a pillow…so I'm looking at inflatables.

I'm not so taken with the flexair option, and right now am looking at either:

Kookabay: 1.3oz

http://www.kookabay.com/

or the Exped: 3oz

http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage_na.nsf/0/1F03B6D93DD3ED26C12576BD00811741?opendocument

the Exped us pushing the weight just a bit, but looks really nice, the Kookabay is light, but I'm not sure how it does for comfort (I don't want the head on a beach ball feeling).

Your views???

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I've never tried the Kookabay, but I like the Exped. It has some type of slightly stretchy fabric on the bottom which seems to allow it to feel softer.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I use the Kookabay pillow. I have one made from lighter 30D nylon and my wife has the regular one. Mine weighs 0.92oz and hers is 1.3oz. The lighter fabric has more of a sticky/plastic feel to it, which is good for helping it stay in place and it's a non-issue against my skin because I cover the pillow with clothing anyways. The Kookabay pillows provide a good amount of support and the weight is right. I haven't used any others though. If you are looking for support (ie. elevate your head) then the Kookabay is great. If you are looking for something really soft and comfy to sink your head into then you'll need to look elsewhere or pile a lot of clothes on your Kookabay.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

By "accident" I now own both pillows. I use the Exped to sleep on–I like the ergonomic (shaped) design and general feel. And, as luck would have it, the Kookabay pillow is a perfect fit for a lower back support in my car during long trips! But,yes, IMO the latter pillow feels a bit soccer-ballish for sleeping. But we're all different.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I'll chuck this one into the fray(no pun intended). The clear view pillow is pretty sweet and huge so you can roll it for a higher rest. i have used the exped and i like the BA one more. the texture keeps it in place. mine is 2.6oz so kinda in the middle.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools