Topic

pack theft pct/

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) pack theft pct/

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    chris mcMaster

@ulachris

hey folks,I got a call yesterday from a young lady from Austrailia we met at the ADZPCTKO this year. She had her pack stolen near Wrightwood and lost everything but the clothes on her back, her wallet and cellphone, even her passport is gone.I sent her a new pack and a bit of cash, and want to reach out to the community to see if we can get her back on the trail. Obviously she needs a sleeping bag, a tent, cooking stuff, sleeping pad, etc. I will send anyone willing to donate to Caroline's cause a shipping label to get stuff to her at Saufleys // please send me an email if you would like to help [email protected]

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

I just sold all my excess gear in swap a little while ago. I will still look though.

chris mcMaster

@ulachris

It looks like we have most things covered, check back later as there may be a few things we will still need//Thanks/Chris

sandy boyd
    Spectator

@sandylwes

Locale: eastern washington

Chris you are awesome for donating a pack…… trail angel/magic in a big way!!!!
    sandy

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Chris,
    Please PM me what remaining gear she needs and I will do my best to complete her kit.

chris mcMaster

@ulachris

We should know more tomorrow and I'll let you know what ,if anything ,else she will need/ much thanks to everyone who has responded/ I spent some time in Australia a few years ago and will never forget how kind and generous the people were, and it just makes me livid that something like this has happened, but very proud of how the BPL community has responded

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I appreciate all of your efforst on behalf of this hiker. I have tarptents and all kinds of gear here that could be used. I would hate her impression of the PCT and the country in general to be ruined by this experience. Certainly, your generosity and those of others will go a long way to make sure that she happily continues along her adventure!

I echo the sentiments regarding ULA….They also happen to make great packs!

Dirk

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

Chris,

Let me know if the fellow Aussie still needs anything, happy to help out where I can.

Cheers
    Mark

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

very awesome when a company will help someone like this. First class Chris!!

John Penca

@johntp

I can be there tomorrow morning with gear if it will help. Pretty much could outfit her out of my gear closet.

I hate thieves!

chris mcMaster

@ulachris

Caroline is still between internet connections so i don't have a firm list of what she might need, I'm hoping she gets to Saufleys by tomorrow and will then be able to relax and figure out what she needs to proceed

Ben Egan

@benjammin21

Locale: The Grid, Brooklyn

What can I give?

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Chris,

If she needs a solo ti-pot + Caldera cone setup let me know, I have one to contribute to her PCT thru effort. PM me if this is the case.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Chris, I guess it'll take too long to send gear from the UK, but I'd like to donate a bit of cash to help her along. Is there a paypal address I could use? Maybe of someone who is going out to meet her and can give her the cash on the spot?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Chris, I have stuff to donate too. Please pm me a list and I will go through my gear closet and dig stuff up. I have many items that I do not use that are UL or lightweight

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

Chris,

I live not too far from Wrightwood. I could get stuff to her if needs be. I'm in La Canada which is about 90 minutes by car from there. If she needs other stuff let us know.

Scott

John Penca

@johntp

As we all know, the gear we take works for us and may not work for others, and vice versa. Can we send $$$ to Agua Dulce to help this woman get the gear she wants?

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

There is an REI not to far from there. For the incidentals, there are some things that could be purchased there. I am happy to send $$$ as well to help her out.

Dirk

John Penca

@johntp

Chris-

Maybe a better question is what is already covered?

D S
    BPL Member

@onthecouchagain

Locale: Sunny SoCal

Hey, count me in for some love…try the "Ben2World" style spreadsheet if you please and we can take it from there…don't want to send her duplicates/triplicates esp. on trail.

couch

Misfit Mystic

@cooldrip

Locale: "Grand Canyon of the East"

… For making the community aware of this, and for the immense kindness you've shown this young woman. Thru-hiking the PCT is life-altering itself. But to face such heartbreak right from the start, and to then have a community reach out with such generosity and goodwill, will become a defining moment in this woman's life. It's one thing to strive to achieve a goal for yourself, but knowing a host of people are willing to help you achieve it must give her an unshakeable resolve to succeed. Good luck to her!

Looks like ULA is in pretty good hands!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools