Topic

WCT 2010 Gear List

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists WCT 2010 Gear List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Sam Sockwell
    BPL Member

@sockwellsam

Anybody with a specific glove to recommend? Thanks, Sam.

David Ure

@familyguy

For warmth or for rain?

Nobody You Know

@dirtbagliving

Locale: Colorado

I would say no. If for some reason they do end up getting wet, you'll be stuck walking in wet shoes the entire time. GTX good for snow, bad for water.

Sam Sockwell
    BPL Member

@sockwellsam

Hmm- for whatever reason one brings them on WCT. I got the sense they were handy for climbing over/around rocks and for pulling ropes to cross rivers. Sam.

David Ure

@familyguy

I have never used gloves. If it is raining you may prefer your skin to touch the ladder rungs, rock, etc. I think it would be dead weight on this trip. Also – it won't get cold enough at night to use a liner glove.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Rich Fredd

@rfredd

i did it in july last year and here are my thoughts:

1. all the major camps have bear lockers. two of them double lockers and the rest of them have one. if we didn't drop off our gear when we first got into camp then the lockers were full and we had to hang our gear.
    2. i brought two cliff bars a day and was sick of them by the second day. my best brings were crushed pringles, sour gummy bears, snickers, salami, and my hot dinners (the add boiling water kind)…and a little booze.
    3. we didn't have any rain but the trail was really muddy. i wore convertible pants with shortie gaitors. my boots were wet by day two. it was nice to have an extra pair of socks to rotate each day. i burnt my boots it the fire on day 4 and they shrunk which gave me blisters for the last two days.
    4. my tent didn't have a vestibule and my pack cover was soaked each morning.
    5. cleaning sleeping clothes were great to jump into each night.
    6. i'm from florida and had a 40 degree sleeping bag with long johns and hat and was cold each night
    7. we did it in 6 days from south to north and did a double on the first day and it about killed three out of five in our group. we enjoyed hiking with the same group of people each day heading north and camping with them at night and then meeting different groups each night that were heading south.
    8. the boat ride back is sooo worth the money. we grabbed food and beer and got to see whales, sea lions, and the entire wct from end to beginning. the captain was awesome.

David Ure

@familyguy

" i'm from florida and had a 40 degree sleeping bag with long johns and hat and was cold each night"

Didn't the booze help?

Rich Fredd

@rfredd

1 liter for two people over 6 nights doesn't go too far….but it was nice to sit around the campfire and shoot a little whiskey after a long day of hiking….although it stinks having to wake-up in the middle of the night to go….therefore i recommend bringing an empty gatoraide bottle as a "bed pan" if you will.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"…therefore i recommend bringing an empty gatoraide bottle as a "bed pan" if you will."

It would need to be a very wide-mouth Gatorade bottle. And deep, too.

–B.G.–

Rich Fredd

@rfredd

yeah, the 20 ouncer was a close call on a few nights….especially in the dark…you have to go on sound…an acquired skill….and make sure the lid goes on tight.

Kevin Yang

@kjyang

Ok, I have nixed the water filter, bought the Montane Shell Atomic DT 2.0 rain pants. Still need to get the gaiters and stuff sack.

Question about the gaiters: Are the ultralight Dirty Girl Gaiters suitable for this trip?

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

I started a thread titled:
    Suggested GEAR LIST ETIQUETTE

– LINK –

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=31018&skip_to_post=262364#262364

I started this thread because there are some key points that really help when you post a gear list.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Nice spread sheet!

My insights below…

Don't worry about toothpaste dots until you NIX that big pack and tent! Whew, those are heavy for a light-weight list.

============

Backpack – 33.25 — Wow, that's a LOT

Pack Cover – 30 Gallon Trash Bag-1.25 oz —- 30 gal is BIG. I suggest a slightly heavier trash compactor bag a s liner

Tent – 46.85

WOW, that's a lot too.

Water Treatment Chlorine Dioxide Tablets

I've been disapointed withthes tabs, slow and a clorine taste. AquaMira is superior.

Drink Tube – 2.00

easily nixed

Duck Tape – 100" Roll – 1.5 oz

100 inches? That seems like too much

Underwear- EXTRA packed Boxer Brief – 2.20

easily nixed

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools