Topic

HELP me choose boots!! ADVICE PLEASE!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) HELP me choose boots!! ADVICE PLEASE!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Siggy Chaloupka

@soccer_boy_siggy

Hi guys,

Im now looking for a pair of boots. Situation is, I'm doing some general mountaineering/iceclimbing in New Zealand, and I've already eyed a good pair of stiff technical mountaineering boots.

Now im looking to get a pair of boots, for lighter, more moderate mountaineering and heavy pack carrying approaches/via ferrata and scrambling with a little more flex.
    Ive eyed a few:

– Zamberlan Expert Plus.
    – Zamberlan Pelmo Plus GT.
    – La Sportiva Karakorum.
    – La Sportiva Makalu
    – La Sportiva Glacier

I hate synthetic boots, and was looking for a leather boot with crampon compatibility.
    I have a thing for Italian boots oncepiece leather upper boots, even all my soccer boots are italian made.

I was let down with some Mammuts/Raichles that we stocked in the store where i work….soles debonding on the Mt Crest and Mt Trail boots, so…i'm not really keen. Also boots with multiple fabric/leather panels, have been returned to us for repair as it seems basically the more seams on a boot, the more stress concentrations and the more that can go wrong.

Vent your thoughts PLEASE.

slavenya slavenya
    BPL Member

@slavenya

Locale: Israel

Well,

Everybody in this forum will strongly advice you to take light runners or some.

But if you really want boot, there are couple of boots that you should look into:
    Lowa Banff Pro
    http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/ShowBoot.cfm?StockNum=2104954649&Category=2&Type=M
    And
    Asolo TPS 535 LTH V
    http://www.asolo.com/eng/prod_list.php?area=2&catid=5

I have Lowa and they heavy but close to perfect for my purpose.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Assuming you want these to take step-in crampons … then the rules are Comfort, Comfort and Comfort.

Cheers

Siggy Chaloupka

@soccer_boy_siggy

yeh, I already have a pair of Salomon Elios GTX's, compfey as anything.

Its a lighter weight classic mountaineering shoe im after.

I have tried on the ASOLO, gun boot that! nice and wide fit. Lowes are a little hard to find in Australia though!

Siggy Chaloupka

@soccer_boy_siggy

Yeh, Grivels, because I can get them cheap at the moment through work.

Do you have any suggestions Roger? ur a pretty thorough bloke when it does come to reviewing and suggesting gear.
    (you inspired me to get a tunnel tent!)

Cheers mate.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Siggy, are you planning on putting crampons on these? And are they for use on snow, or just on rock/tracks?

Dave Myers
    Spectator

@patientwolf

Locale: South Western Oklahoma

I love my Inov8 Roclite 288 boots. They are the most comfortable boot I have ever owned and are very light and flexible. They were made for mountain running. If they are a bit too light for what you are wanting you might try the Roclite 390 which I have heard a lot of great things about.

Siggy Chaloupka

@soccer_boy_siggy

Hi guys,

Yeh i am looking for a crampon compatible boot.
    I am going to NZ for a Snow survival course and also a Mountaineering/Ice-Mixed climbing course.
    I have eyed some really stiff soled boots, for the climbing side, but want a more traditional mountaineering boot for less technical work, and also to a point, trekking to and fro such areas.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Siggy

I don't have any step-ins, just rather old ones with straps. Heavy boots are out of my comfort zone :-)

I do know people use the simple strap-ons with solid GTX joggers – Mont Blanc has been climbed that way, and I think Mt Cook has been too.

Cheers

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I abandoned my Lowa Banff boots a couple years ago.

But they are the best leather boot I have ever owned. Hand made in Germany with one piece leather.

Hmm… how can a hand made leather boot from Germany cost the same as the other major brands that now make their boots in China?

Edit: I abandoned them for trail runners. But they are still in my gear closet.

Siggy Chaloupka

@soccer_boy_siggy

Hey guys,

I have heard a tonne about Lowa boots recently. Does anyone know where u can get them in Australia?
    If not….should i take the gamble and order some online?

I typically fit a 42 boot for normal hiking, this includes ASOLOS and La Sportivas and Zamberlans and Mammut/Raichles.

would it be an idea to order a pair of Lowa boots online? Of course i guess for alpine conditions i would have to go up a half size to 42.5 for the thicker socks.

What are your thoughts?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools