Topic

Zion National Park – Mid May

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Zion National Park – Mid May

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I got back last week and wrote up a little report for you guys to enjoy. My terrible photography doesn't do the landscape justice – it really is incredible out there. I also made a video but I'm having trouble uploading it because it's 400Mb…I'll try again later today and post a link if it works. Enjoy!

Zion Trip Report

Zion Gear List

Zion Trip Video

Lesson Learned: Bring LOTSA water when hiking in the desert! :)

David Ure

@familyguy

"Lesson Learned: Bring LOTSA water when hiking in the desert! :)"

I think I mentioned that… ;)

Great report!

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

hahaha, I believe you did….I've never drank so much water in my life.

Side note: You friends at Zion Adventure Comp are fantastic. Thanks for the recommendation.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Awesome!

It's really fun to see familiar places through the eyes of someone visiting for the first time. Thanks Steve.

I'm impressed that you eat so little food! Especially lunches. I usually plan on 8 bar-food-equivalents for lunch, which works out to 1600-1800 calories for lunch alone. Whatever works, I suppose.

We'll have to send you to the Escalante next. Get you off the trails and into the real uncivilized country.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Hope you liked it. I still cant get my video uploaded…keeps aborting for some reason. I'm going to try and compress it a bit so the file is smaller.

I even brought food back with me. I usually don't start getting a serious "hikers diet" until a few days into a trip.

Escalante, here I come!

David Ure

@familyguy

Steve – you have an amazing gear list, BTW. SUL.

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

Locale: Vegas

Great trip report…I live in Vegas. It's funny how we dream about far away places and take the amazing ones we live near for granted.

Next time you're in the area, try an overnight saunter or a day hike through the virgin river narrows. The scenery is amazing through this little 16 mile hike, and you're hiking through water about half the time. Water proof your gear, and enjoy floating down the deep sections!

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Does your tarp just cover your top half or something?

PS- the heaviest thing in your pack, besides your camera, IS the pack, and a Blast, at that? that's just ridiculous

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Thanks David…I'm obsessed… :)

John, The Narrows were actually closed when I was there due to high water/flow. I usually head to vegas about once a year just for a weekend vacation so thought I'd do it next time as a day hike and that way I can bring my girlfriend.

Jeff, that's my N2 Tarp. It's full size at 52" wide X 110" lg. Made of 0.33 cuben so it's as light as you can get. I could probably go for a lighter pack (and camera) but my Blast is so comfy and the camera takes awesome video – I guess they're my luxury items.

John Roan
    BPL Member

@jroan

Locale: Vegas

David,

My wife and I would love accompany you…just let me know and we'll do So Utah together next year! Or if you're in Vegas during the hot months, we'll do the 11,918' Charleston Peak, and camp in a meadow at 11,000 feet above Las Vegas! The Desert is amazing!

John

Philip Delvoie
    BPL Member

@philipd

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Great report Steve.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Great report Steve!!

When hiking in the desert, my water weight is often more than 50% than everything else I carry.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Wow, Steve. That's a seriously light kit you're using. It must feel like day hiking even with all your food. I had to laugh at your description of Angels Landing. My impression was the same when we were there. Lots of tourists in flip-flops just inches from the precipice.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Nick, I have never dealt with such high temps and relentless sun (I'm from Canada). There is definitely a learning curve there…I just wasn't watching my water intake and drank my whole supply before I even realized it!

Dondo, yeah, Angels Landing is something else. I can't believe people don't just fall off the thing. I was surprised (and scared) at how exposed some of the sections were…but still a good time!

Edit: I finally got the video uploaded…if you're bored, take a look.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

Good report Steve. Zion is a beautiful place and Angel's Landing a very "fun" trip up. You do need to carry a lot of water though!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

"I have never dealt with such high temps and relentless sun (I'm from Canada)."

Planning is critical. You HAVE to know where the reliable sources of water are located.

Also you have to drink frequently, just small amounts of water to stay hydrated. It is the most efficeint method. Craig just did two days in what is arguably the hottest desert in North America. Craig is an accomplished desert hiker, and would drink water twice as frequently as me. Since I live here, my body is more acclimated.

If you get to the point where you are very thirsty, you are not drinking often enough.

BTW, did you see any rattle snakes?

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Nick,
    You are correct. When I was low on water I cursed at myself for being so dumb. I knew it wasn't an "emergency" but I wasn't comfortable with the thought of having no water for the rest of the night and for the morning hike to the spring. I lucked out and found that stream. It was a good lesson, and Zion was probably a good starter trip for me if I plan to visit other areas down there.

As for rattlesnakes, sadly no (no scorpions either). Just a bunch of deer and a slimy frog. Loved every minute of it!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

As for rattlesnakes, sadly no (no scorpions either).

I told you so :)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools