Topic

Nor Cal BPL Meetup 6/5 to 6/6

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Nor Cal BPL Meetup 6/5 to 6/6

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

Anyone up for a hike this coming weekend (June 5 and 6)? I am planning to hike out of Cherry Lake to Many Island Lake, both of which are just inside the Yosemite Park boundary. The trailhead at shingle spring starts out just above 5k feet and climbs to about 7300 feet at Many Island Lake. I believe the distance from the trailhead is about 7 miles. I open to going further if others coming along wish to do so and as conditions allow. There should be some great fishing opportunities and I plan on bringing my pole.

I will be leaving from Modesto on Saturday morning. If others are coming and wish to carpool, they are welcome to park at my place at join me. I have room for four in my car.

Hiking out of this trailhead will be a first for me, so I cannot provide too many details beyond what my Emigrant Wilderness book describes. Perhaps others here can assist. Due to its relatively low elevation this area should be a good opportunity for an early season hike. I dont think permits should be much of any issue in the lesser used area of the park.

I hope others can join on such short notice.

Cheers,

David

Many Island Lakemany island

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I was backpacking in the Hetch Hetchy Valley very near there over May 27-29. We got snowed on about one inch, and that was at 4600' elevation. It cleared and warmed up, but the snow was lingering at 6000-7000'. The good thing was that it was cool enough for zero mosquitos.

–B.G.–

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Bob,

Thanks for the heads-up. I anticipate there will be some snow left between 6k and 7k feet. Much of this trail is on a south facing slope so I am hoping the snowpack in this area will be melted. Highs all week are forecast to be in the 70s.

If the snow on the ground is to much, I am definitely open to improvising. Many Island Lake seemed like a good destination to shoot for but if the conditions don't allow, so be it.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Dave, I would love to go but I am dealing with some nasty back stuff right now. Hope the trip is a good one

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I was just up at Tuolumne Meadows, Lake Eleonor and Cherry Lake this last weekend with my daughter…. We didn't go as high as you will be going, so we didn't encounter any real snow. Mosquitos, yes but not too bad. Have fun.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Tuolumne???

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

(Tuolumne Meadows is not open since the road is still closed.)

–B.G.–

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Katharina, I think you meant Yosemite Valley? Man, I am sure the falls are pumping now. Would be a nice weekend to go to Rancheria!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Would be a nice weekend to go to Rancheria!"

It was pretty wet and snowy last weekend at Rancheria, but then it was drying out and warming up as we left on the 29th. The wildflowers were starting to show up better.

However, I have to believe that the trailhead quota was maxed out every day. Since nobody can get up into the high country, they are heading low to places like Rancheria.

–B.G.–

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Ken, Sorry to hear about your back. Back pain is no fun. Last weekend was my birthday and my wife got me a $20 1 hour reflexology foot massage. One hour at this place and you will be as good as new! I couldn't help thinking about how good it would have felt after our trip last summer.

Kat, Thanks for the conditions update. Sorry about the bad timing. I just missed you. Hope to see you on the next one.

FYI, Sonora Pass is now open. I was told there was not as much snow as most would imagine in this part of the Sierras. Only a about a foot at Kennedy Meadows. The passes further north are also clear for travel but have much more snow. My boss did a driving loop over the weekend.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

My bad, we drove into Yosemite, my daughter hoping to see the valley, then we got overwhelmed by the crowds, thought of going to Tuolumne Meadows, then headed out and went to Camp Mather and then the lakes. It was a long weekend and we didn't even plan to go as far as we did, we were just going to stay at the first swimming holes. Lots of driving, lots of signs, got confused.
    Have a great trip.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Don't want to hijack this thread but this is for Ken H or any one else, are we still on for something in mid Aug. May be Kearsage to roads end? 4 day trip? Jack

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"May be Kearsage to roads end? 4 day trip?"

Kearsarge Pass to Roads End makes a good long dayhike.

–B.G.–

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Yea Bob I know but I want to spend some time at Rae Lakes and do some fishing and just take my time.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Rae Lakes is an excellent place to take your time!

You could spend a day or two just counting the lakes in the Sixty Lakes Basin.

Last two times that I was there, I photographed bighorn sheep.

–B.G.–

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Hey BOB -Why don't you post some pictures of the Bighorn Sheep on UL Creatures.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

There is one photo of the bighorns, but it is published on my web site with an ugly copyright symbol over it.

http://www.imagetransactions.com
    (That has a link to the actual gallery.)

I was looking for the bighorns several miles away, east of the crest, and then there they were. I spoke to a park ranger the next day, and she hooked me up with the park wildlife biologist, who then hooked me up with the bighorn expert for all California. He explained that it was a male herd, and that was one of their favorite spots.

(A similar shot is now in UL Creatures.)
    –B.G.–

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Jack I am down…as long as my back holds up. I am on the mend but it has been touch and go. Been taking anti inflam meds and I actually saw a chiropractor for the first time last week…loved it! Let's pick a date and go from there. I am even down for doing Rae Lakes loop…Bob is right, Kearsarge to Roads End is pretty easy and can be done in a day.

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Due to unanticipated reasons I was unable to hike last weekend but I do have Friday June 18th off from work and I am going to make another go of it. Is anyone interested in hiking from the 18th to the 20th. I am thinking about going to the Huckleberry Lake area in the Emigrant Wilderenss using the Crabtree or Cherry Lake trailhead.

Any takers?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Dave, I'm not sure the Crabtree TH is open yet….I could be wrong though. I am on vacation and would love to join, but my back is JUST starting to feel a LITTLE better…I am a month away from hiking again.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Sucks to get old huh. Kearsage to roads end in one day? not me!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

A couple of years ago in October, we had two groups of hikers. One group started from Roads End on Saturday morning, and they got to Onion Valley by the evening. I was in a group that started at Onion Valley on Sunday morning and got to Roads End by the evening. Then we picked up the car left by the other group. That worked out pretty well.

There is a lot more climb if you start from Roads End, as compared to starting from Onion Valley, so you better pack a lunch.

–B.G.–

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools