Topic

Trap Hills Michigan UP

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Trap Hills Michigan UP

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ronald Groth
    BPL Member

@rgfooter

Locale: Wisconsin

I'd like to post trip details for those of us who live in the midwest. The traps hill proper is a 30 mile section of the North Country Trail in the UP. The western UP has about 140 miles of completed NCT in the area. The Trap Hills is a series of ups and downs following a number of ridge lines. The trail sees little use. I have hike this section twice and have seen only 2 people. In general, the trail is blazed ok. Some sections of trail are a little hard to follow, but this is ok because you will get good at locating the trail in the lesser traveled sections. The Trap Hills section is between M64 and Old Victoria. The owner of superior-shores resort can provide you with a shuttle at a reasonable rate (do a google search). Maps can be purchased on the NCT website. I have hiked the 140 mile section of the western UP, if anyone wants more info, let me now. Anyway, check out the pictures. EnjoyOverlooksunsetoverlook,dogbeaver pondLake Victoriabeavers at workoverlook2

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Thanks for the photos. I had a Trap Hills hike on my list of to-dos when I was living in Duluth but never got to tick that one off. What a beautiful place.

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Nice. Thanks for posting and sharing. I used to frequent the UP, but have only day-tripped, sailed and climbed in the area. I'm glad to see more trail news and may have to check this out in the future, Deo volente.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

The Trap Hills are in the Ottawa national forest, meaning there is dispersed camping anywhere along the trail, correct? (provided you set up camp far enough away from the trail and water sources.)

Ronald Groth
    BPL Member

@rgfooter

You can camp any where on National forest land, there is about 3-4 miles of private land where no camping is allowed. There are few established campsites. But plenty of overlooks which provide for great sites with excellent views. There are enough streams with water but you need to carry water to camp.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Thanks Ronald. That's pretty much what I thought.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools