Topic

Minimalist Footwear Recommendations for Hiking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Minimalist Footwear Recommendations for Hiking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    David Wilder

@juneau

I wear FiveFingers as my day-to-day shoes for a little over 2 years now. I have not done a ton of hiking, but here are my thoughts:

1. FiveFingers don't protect your toes well. It is very feasible to break toes or cause other injuries when hiking off trail or in rough terrain.

2. FiveFingers are not water proof. If you step in even a small puddle, your feet will be wet. This can lead to blisters and other wear related issues.

3. Getting plants between your toes is annoying!

4. I prefer a minimalist shoe with a toe-box for rougher terrain. Merrel Trail Gloves are my footwear of choice here.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Digg'n up the oldies

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

I've been using the Breathos. Have used them on several overnighters and lots of day hiking in all types of terrain…minus much mud. Been packing in them with the insoles and day hiking without. This year, I'm thinking the insoles will be out for all. I should note that I some times day hike barefoot and I go without shoes the bulk of days most days (work from home).

The traction is great in any direction, up or down, in every condition….except perhaps wet rocks. I love everything about these shoes……except the sole durability. The lugs wear too quickly for my liking….though I have put some concrete and pavement miles on them….and some rocky off-trail terrain.

Had a pair of Trail Gloves. Ordered them. 5 mins in the house and my feet couldn't wait to get rid of them. Some love'em though.

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

I am also big Vivobarefoot fan. I done all my trips in them for the last year and been running in them longer. I use the Breathos for backpacking. I can walk in them forever. Agree on the durability is not ideal, but that can be said about pretty much all barefoot type shoes really. The toe box is nice and wide. Unlike the Merrells, they aren't as glove like. A snug fitting shoe for running is one thing, but for multi-day hiking, it is another.

I also wear the Inov-8 BareGrip 200 for running when it is muddy on the trail. They have amazing traction, but I would not want to hike in them long distance. Too tight toe box for racing.

I've started wearing the new Inov8 Trailroc 150, which I like for running (use them instead of my Breathos now), but for me the crinkliness and lack of softness to the upper makes them uncomfortable for long distance hiking.

I have no experience with the New Balance line.

Ultimately, the thing vastly more important than shoes you pick will be conditioning your feet, ankles, achilles, and especially calf muscles. Take it easy. And look online for exercises you can do in conjunction with your transition. Unless you have super fit feet and legs from other activities, think of it like a new sport that you are required to use muscles you don't normally use. You have to train and built up to it. Approach it like you are learning to walk again with a new set of legs that are out of shape. Or risk injury as you would in any sport you are not conditioned for.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

A few years ago I posted that I was using a somewhat minimal Inov-8 Flyroc 310. In the last year I have tried several pairs of the TrailRoc line, finally settling in one the most minimalist, the TrailRoc 150. Good is great fit — for me, excellent traction, uppers that keeps stuff out of the shoes (Flyroc mesh collected vegetation), zero drop, zero cushion. Downside is that the uppers aren't very air permeable so my feet run hot.

I have also experimented with hiking in a pair of Luna Sandals. Actually, not just hiking but also around town and trail running. I decided that I love them around town, but I am just not a sandal person on the trail… I want uppers that keeps the rocks and stones out and gives me some protection when going through vegetation.

–Mark

J Michael Orszag
    BPL Member

@mikeorszag

I hike a lot with Five Fingers (mainly KSO Trek and Bormio) and have worn out a few pairs. I love them. But neither the KSO Trek nor the Bormio are currently in production and I would like to try something new. I've used the Vibram Spyridon and it's ok but nothing like the KSO Trek. Is there something close to the Bormio on the market as that seems to work the best?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I have been using these almost exclusively for the past 3 years. I am on my 4th pair. The only big downside is they don't perform well in Cholla gardens.

Size 12 weigh 4.9 ounces each.

Mizuno Wave Universe Wave 4

Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools