Topic

Knobstone Trail 3 day list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Knobstone Trail 3 day list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Nathaniel Lynn

@bc74sj

Locale: Midwest

3 Day Knobstone Trail list

Shelter
    Tarptent Cloudburst 2

Sleeping
    Neoair regular
    MH Phantom 45

Pack
    Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian
    Large trash compactor bag

Extra Clothes
    Marmot Precip pants
    Marmot Essence Jacket
    Marmot Driclime Windshirt
    2x Smartwool Ultralight Hiker socks
    ExOfficio Boxer Briefs

Clothing Worn

Sunday Afternoons Cruiser Hat
    Columbia zip off pants
    Smartwool Merino top
    ExOfficio Boxer Briefs
    Smartwool Ultralight Hiker socks
    Vasque Celerator trail runners
    Black Diamond Trail Shock poles

Hydration
    2x 1L Platypus, 1 hoser hose
    AquaMira drops
    Aquafina 1L widemouth bottle

Cooking
    MSR Pocket Rocket + 1 4oz tank
    Evernew .9L Titanium Pot
    BPL Long handled spoon
    Bandana
    Small bottle of Dr Bs

Fire
    2 minibics
    1 chunk firestarter (coghlans)

Lights
    Princeton Tek 4LED 2AA headlight
    Coghlan's 6 in 1 whistle/compass/mirror/light/thermometer

FAK
    3M Ultrathon
    50SPF Coppertone lotion
    Anti-itch spray
    MSR small pack towel
    Spyderco Ladybug
    Pills
    Bodyglide
    Moleskin + bandaids
    Montbell trowel
    TP
    Purell
    4 Lithium AA

Map
    Garmin GPSMap 60CSX
    Cell Phone
    panasonc lumix dmc-tz4

Unknown abc

@edude

looks good, I don't think there's much that I would shave off there, as I am no longer obsessed with tenths of ounces anymore… more about simplicity in and of the pack, which you have there without giving up very much comfort. :) good job

"…I am no longer obsessed with tenths of ounces anymore… more about simplicity in and of the pack,"

No, I am not turning into a new-age freak! -_-

Nathaniel Lynn

@bc74sj

I have a Pinnacle with the hip pockets (2009?) but I still want to try out this Granite Gear pack some more as far as comfort goes. I have used it once on a 6 mile Smokies trip with my fiancee this spring. I just need to work on packing the Pinnacle a lot more before it feels like a lumpy sack of potatoes hanging off of me.

Unknown abc

@edude

try using your sleeping pad to add frame to it. just unroll it as much as you can inside along the walls of the pack.

Cory Whitesell

@coryw

You won't need sunscreen. Nearly the entire trail is under tree canopy (except the short sections where they have recently logged out the forest).

3L of water capacity may not be enough. In the summer/fall, most streams are dried up unless there has been a recent rain. Otherwise, your options are basically the couple lakes along the route. I've stashed water at the trailheads before just to be sure. (and definately needed it!)

There is also very little cell coverage except at the south ednd near deam lake, so the cell may be dead weight.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

I'd echo what Cory said from what I've heard about water. Unless we get some good rains before you go, you will want to cache. If you don't know, there's a lightly used forum at http://knobstonetrail.net/

Wish I could join you. Would like to train for my Rockies trip later this summer, but need to work on my house as much as possible. Will have to test out my homemade tarp in the back yard.

Nathaniel Lynn

@bc74sj

I have hiked over half the trail in the last 4 months, typically yo-yos back to the car.

After spending the last day tailgaiting for the Indy 500, a cookout the day before, and 2 Jimmy Buffet shows the week before, I will be using sunscreen no matter what the canopy cover.

I found plenty of water a month ago in the first 10 miles, and there are a few creeks in the northern sections I did that I can get water from. I thought I might be out there 3 days but I am thinking 2+ will be a lot easier if I am not doing loops. I will probably put 5 gallons around mile 19 and be fine with 2L on me at any time. Not sure if any of the 3 people I have talked to are going to go as I am leaving Thursday night and a buddy has to work Friday.

I plan on dropping my car at the Northern trailhead not in the park, dropping water off in the middle, and having my gf drop me at the mile 0 TH. I figure I will hike 5 miles Thursday night and should finish Saturday sometime unless the heat keeps me in shade or near watering holes.

The most I have done is 26 miles in a day and a half, and that was when Russ from Indy did his 100 mile trail run yoyo in 24.5 hours back in January or December. I did 20.6 miles in 11.5 hours a month ago. I do prefer winter temps for sure!

Nathaniel Lynn

@bc74sj

Put it off until Friday, 2 buddies are going to take half days. Plan on caching 5gal at Elk Creek and New Chapel. I may actually wish for rain! Gotta love Indiana humidity! Looks like rain Thursday and 30% chance Saturday and Sunday!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools