Topic

Backpacking life after children

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Backpacking life after children

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    D S
    BPL Member

@onthecouchagain

Locale: Sunny SoCal

My sons 5 and 2 go with us on all our hikes and outings now…for me, they've helped slow the pace and open my eyes again to the world around me. The smallest thing be it creature or crevise excites them to no end…things most of us have long since taken for granted.

Last weekend we counted 12 newts (salamanders), two banana slugs and some amazing birds of which I have no idea of their names on our local hiking trail and I really think we were the only ones that saw them out of the dozens of hikers blowing by us from A to B and back again.

A lot of hikers I observe look down or forward not up/out/ or around…I guess when you're moving mach 10 with your hair on fire, down is the only way to stay upright.

We started with an overnighter in a tent, then two, now three. A mile, three miles, now six. The two year old is in a Kelty kid pack but the five year old can do it by himself. We do at least a four mile hike each weekend with the boys in our local trails—mostly up- wife powers ahead with our friends and we bring up the rear.

Just set your sights realistically on be honest in their likes and dislikes and you can't go wrong. Take time for bugs/boats/and bumps and you'll leave them wanting more.

Anyway, kids are great hiking companions—it only lasts an instant so sit back and enjoy the ride.

couch

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

Locale: Southern California

I have two daughters, 10 and 13. My older daughter and I have been going backpacking together in the Sierra every summer since she was 6. My younger daughter doesn't really like camping or backpacking. Backpacking with a small child is all about readjusting your own ideas about time and distance.

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools