Topic

Food Bowl/ Water Trowel= .5oz

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Food Bowl/ Water Trowel= .5oz

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Brian Ahlers

@bahlers7

Locale: Idaho

I know some of you use your pot as a mug and bowl as well, but I like to have my food and drink both at the same time (Coffee and hot oatmeal or cold oatmeal depending on temp in the morning and then a cup of tea with my noodle soup at night). If some of you are like me then for half an ounce you can get a Ziploc, 3 cup tupperware bowl and cut off the top rim to make it weigh half as much and to make it flexible for a water trowel. I use the Frontier Pro gravity system for my water filtration.

Ziploc bowl

Ziploc bowl

These bowls also have 1 cup and 2 cup measures on them. I'm usually boiling 2 cups of water at a time.

Matt DeWitt

@tritan

Locale: Midwest

nice idea thanks

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Nice find. My current bowl weighs a portly 1.5oz, this seems like a cheap easy way to save an ounce and add a bit of functionality (measuring marks).

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I don't use a bowl for eating–my dinner or breakfast is eaten out of a plastic bag and I make my tea in the pot with the leftover hot water. No dishes to wash. :-)

However, your cut-down bowl weighs less than the scoop I've been using for shallow water, the cut-off bottom of a Platypus bottle that developed a split near the top. It looks far more effective, too! It might also just be the thing for a bowl for my dog.

For trips with the grandkids, I do take plastic bowls and have been taking the entire Ziploc bowl–never thought of cutting off the rim!

Thank you!

Brian Ahlers

@bahlers7

My previous bowl was a GSI bowl that weighed 1.5oz and had a hard rim so there was no flexibility, I was cleaning out our tupperware cabinet when I came across this one. Didn't notice the measurement marks until recently either : ) It handles boiling water just fine too, loses a bit of ridgidity but not a problem to eat out of.

Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

what your bowl one of the freezer Ziplocks or a regular one?

Brian Ahlers

@bahlers7

My Ziploc bowl (one in the photo) loses a little ridgidity when you put boiling water in it but it's definitely not a problem.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I've got a Ziplock container sorta like the one shown but it's square and 2.5 cups. It weighs 0.83oz with the rim. I'll probably chop off the rim and see how light it gets.

I've also got a really small 1 cup bowl that weighs just 0.4oz with the rim. It's a little too small for a mug, but a slightly bigger 1.5 cup one would probably work great and be much lighter than my 1.6oz plastic mug. Between these two things (mug & bowl) I'll probably save 2oz by going with ziplock.

EDIT: I cut the rim off of my 2.5 cup square Ziplock container and the weight dropped from 23g (0.83oz) to 18.5g (0.65). I'm not sure it's worth the loss in ridigity and the sharp edge for less than 0.2oz saved.

Corey Miller

@coreyfmiller

Locale: Eastern Canada

And just like that you have lightened my pack by about two ounces. Thank you kind sir!

Jack Hoster

@orlandohanger

I like it!

Carl Zimmerman
    BPL Member

@carlz993

…now I've got a quick project for tomorrow. This one has potential. Thanks…

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Nice idea. Thanks.

I realize a second one would be a little larger than most mugs, but:

1) nothing fits inside such a bowl as space-efficiently as another of the same kind,
    2) why not make a pint of tea / whatever? We're always working to stay hydrated,
    3) you'd have back-up for your bowl/water scoop,
    4) when not used as a second bowl/cup (after dinner hot drink?), nesting the two bowls would make it a lot more insulated against your hands.

I hadn't found the perfect bowls for family trips (need 4 bowls, 4 cups) and this would be SO light and SO compact when stacked compared to other options. Cheap, too.

-David

Nick Larsen

@stingray4540

Locale: South Bay

So was it .5oz BEFORE you cut the rim off, so now it weighs .25oz.?
    Or is .5oz. the weight AFTER you cut the rim off?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools