Topic

Six Moon Designs Vamp and net

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Six Moon Designs Vamp and net

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Evan Brodfuehrer

@burtonboarder84

I just ordered a Six moon designs Vamp tent and net tent. I can't seem to find any reviews or even photos. Anyone have this or know of anyone who uses it? Thanks

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I just ordered the SMD Haven. Same issue, but the web site pretty much has all the details I need.
    They make great stuff, in fact most of my favorite backpacking gear just happens to be made by Six Moons.

That isn't why I bought the Haven, I thought the design well thought out and a flexible two person shelter.

George Geist
    BPL Member

@geist

Locale: Smoky Mountains

> I just ordered the SMD Haven. Same issue

Hi Steven.

My Haven arrived a few weeks ago. I can second your comments that it is a flexible, well thought out, double wall, two person shelter under 2 1/2 lbs.

The instructions led me believe that the tent might be fiddly, but I found it very quick and simple to get a nice pitch as shown in the following photos of my second pitch:
    Basic side view.
    SMD Haven - side view with vestiblues closed

From this angle you can get a feel for the headroom as well as a feel for the size of the vestibules on each side.
    Front view of SMD Haven

With side open you can see how much space is between your head and the net tent.
    headspace sleeping in the SMD Haven

Here is a shot of the space at your feet when sleeping. That is a 72" x 20" Big Agnes air mattress in the photo.
    footspace sleepng in SMD Haven

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

love the pictures, looks very taut.

What about the floor? Is there any amount of a bathtub?

Looks very roomy compared to the competition in the same weight range, and none of the competitors have the vents, as far as I know, in this same weight/doublewall/2person category.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Maybe the SMD Haven and Vamp will be included in the 2010 BPL state of the market report for double walled shelters? I know the Lightheart tent is being reviewed by Ryan Jordan. I'd like to see some more info on these 2 SMD shelters. The Haven looks great.

George Geist
    BPL Member

@geist

Locale: Smoky Mountains

> What about the floor? Is there any amount of a bathtub?

Hi Nate,

Yes the Haven net tent has a 2" bathtub lip running around the floor. The bathtub is held up in the four corners by short struts in the net tent and held up at your shoulders by a velcro strap that hooks to the handle of your hiking poles.

Al

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Anyone know when the tent SOTMR is coming out?

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

Thanks Al,

Nice to see some pictures of it in use.

The thing that sold us on the Haven, as opposed to our other equally good 2.5 lb 2(3?) person tent, is the two side entrances. Each person has control of their own ventilation and view, no crawling over your partner to get in and out and that happens more as you get older:-)

It also appears to have better ventilation than most, when bugs and rain are an issue.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools