Topic

Updated lighter AT gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Updated lighter AT gear list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    rhonda rouyer

@rrouyer

Locale: deep south

I posted earlier my AT gear list for critique and took advice on lightening my load. I was at 18 lbs. now just under 14 lbs. Dropped the tent and taking just the tarp (only one night where we will not be in shelters) Take a look and if you need to compare my first list is under thread AT Gear list.I still need to add cell phone, camera and stickpic

Big 3
    7x9siltarp/pegs/bag 19.10
    GoliteQuest 46.00 Northface down Beeline 22.60
    clothes packed
    2 pr smartwool socks 6.00
    2 pr sock liners 2.00
    golite thermal pullover 7.10
    gortex pants 7.00
    Magellan quickdri ss shirt 5.20
    Packlite gortex rain shell 9.90
    silk baselayer shirt 1.00
    sleep clothes 6.00
    sports bra 1.00
    stuff sack 1.20
    Tevas (camp shoes) 5.10
    undies 1.30
    Hydration
    2×3 " piece of packtowel 0.20
    gatorade bottle 1.80
    Nalgene Collasible 1.5L 2.20
    Steripen/batteries/case 4.40
    Kitchen
    Bowl 0.60
    Campsuds 0.90
    Cup 0.70
    Light my Fire Spork 0.40
    Mini Bic Lighter 0.30
    mesh bag 1.00
    placemat 1.00
    Snow Peak Giga Power/case 3.90
    Snow Peak Ti 2C pot 0.70
    Misc
    bear line and rock sack 1.70
    Clip on LED light 1.00 glasses 0.40
    micro fiber towel 1.20
    mosquito net 6.00
    pack cover 3.80
    Pepper Spray 1.60
    Repair Kit-6 zipties/batteries/pack clip 3.50
    Sea to Summit collaspible
    bucket 4.00
    Sm knife 1.50
    Navigation
    Maps/quidebook pages 2.40
    SPOT 4.80
    Personal
    FAK 1.90
    Hydropel 0.90
    moisturizer 1.10
    Repel 1.00
    shammy 1.70
    sunscreen 1.20
    toothbrush/paste 0.80
    TP/12 panty liners/wetwipes/purell 6.70
    ziplock bag 0.20
    Sleep
    Thermarest pillow sm 7.20
    ZRest 10.00

Total Weight of Selected Items 222.80

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

From the looks of it (your avatar), you could get a lower volume pack and shed some weight, while getting a little more support from a rigid pack (due to being stuffed)

That being said, I don't know the details of that pic. could be at the end of a few days -therefor no food to fill it…

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I would work on the amount of clothes you carry. It looks like in addition to the clothes you are wearing you take a short sleeve shirt, a silk baselayer shirt, sleep clothes, and a thermal pullover. I would just take the thermal pullover and sleep/clothes clothes and that is it. I would drop the other two shirts, as they are redundant.

Depending on the temps, it might be too hot for Gore Tex Pants. I prefer a rain skirt when it is really hot, as rain pants are like a sauna. If it turns out cooler they can be nice to have in camp though so it might be more of a trip time/personal call.

I suggest you drop the Tevas and just wear your trail runners around camp. I thought I would really miss “camp shoes” when I first got rid of them a few years ago, but I never have. That is over a quarter pound of un needed weight.

You might look at changing from the Steripen to Aquamira. It would save a few ounces and most of the water sources on the AT are nice piped springs so they are easy to use with chemicals. Ryan Jordan has a PHD in bio-film engineering and is an expert in backcountry water treatment and he uses Aquamira. I figure if he trusts it, I should feel fine about it too. It is also what 90% of AT Thru Hikers use.

You could probably drop some weight on your kitchen. You are carrying a bowl, cup, and a cook pot? I use my cook pot for all three so you should be able to get rid of most of the other two.

Drop the case on the gigapower. I hiked for over 1000 miles with mine without a case and it looks brand new. The case is needless weight.

I would get rid of the placemat. I have never found that I needed one.

You might look at a pack liner instead of the pack cover. You wont save a lot of weight, but they work a lot better.

What are you carrying pepper spray for?

That seems very heavy for a repair kit. It might help to break that down by item and list quantities and weights for everything.

I would drop the collapsible bucket; you already have plenty of water storage. It might seem like a convenience, but it is a quarter of a pound!

I would probably go to a smaller, lighter knife. Gerber, Spyderco, and Swiss Army all make nice 0.6oz knifes.

I would get rid of the spot. You are on the AT not in the remote wilderness. The AT well marked, and very well traveled, so this is un needed weight.

Unless you are doing a section that is in the open (Roan Highlands, Grayson Highlands, etc) you don’t need sunscreen. The sun doesn’t reach the trail in the summer!

I suggest dropping the pillow and using your sleeping bag stuff sack filled with your raingear and other clothing. I generally put my raingear on bottom and my insulation layers on top. Try it, it makes a great pillow!

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

omlette, duh;)

rhonda rouyer

@rrouyer

Thanks for the suggestions. After thinking about them I decided to stay with what is on the list for this hike. It will be the first time I leave the tent and extra shorts at home.Still might not take the pack cover as I do have a liner and everything else is in a zip lock or can get wet. I will make notes along the way and see how I fare with this gear and make adjustments or teak it for the next time. Thinking getting lighter is a process not to be done in one fell swoop. BTW my total wt after adding food and fuel for 6 days and a liter of water is 27 lb 4 oz.

As for the SPOT and pepper spray… that's for my husbands comfort, so if it makes him feel better about my hiking then it's worth the wt.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Have a good trip.

Think about what you would like to cut and then try not using it even though you are carrying it. That way you can see what it would be like without it, but you still have it as a "safety net".

rhonda rouyer

@rrouyer

Thanks, that's a very good suggestion. Will report back on what I learned :)

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Agree, drop pillow and bucket. ( I, too, used to carry them)

Crocs might be lighter than tevas and protect toes.

http://www.crocs.com/crocs-beach/10002,default,pd.html?cid=511&cgid=women-footwear

rhonda rouyer

@rrouyer

my crocks weigh 8 oz and my tevas weigh 4 oz. Tried no pillow two hikes ago and never could get comfortable with just stuff sack of clothes so I didn't sleep very well. I'll try to not use the bucket and see how I make out and if I find I don't need it I'll leave it behind next hike.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools