Topic

Cheese mix

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

I have looked everywhere i cannot find 4-cheese powder, or dehydrated cheese powder/mix. I have to buy mac and cheeses and store the noodles.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem
    Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

This is even better :-)
    http://www.frontiercoop.com/products.php?ct=dfmbc&cn=Cheese+Powder

All natural, I have gone to using it. Btw, you can buy direct from Frontier (they are often the brand sold at natural food store bulk bins) and their shipping is fast.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

They also sell cheese powder that you can use in DIY sauce mixes:
    http://www.frontiercoop.com/products.php?ct=dfmbc&cn=Cheese+Powder

Which can be used in this recipe:
    http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/parmesan-cheese-sauce-powder-mix

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Locale: Southern Appalachians

Isaac–If you aren't using cheese powder on the pasta, what do you use it on? Mind sharing if you have some good recipes using this stuff? I've had several packs of the kraft stuff in the pantry–the noodles got thrown out b/c they got wet but the cheese packs were sealed up and are fine. Need to use them somehow.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

For a bit of extra taste with cheese sauce try adding a some dry mustard powder.
    BTW, fresh garlic keeps. It is obviously bulkier and heavier but I think that the "medicinal" part (allicin, the sulphur smelling liquid) is mostly lost in the drying process.
    (this is only my personal opinion….)
    BTW, I would strongly suggest Sarah's recipe over the commercially available mac'n cheese .
    Probably cheaper, most likely healthier.
    Franco

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

I use it for Mac and cheese w/ beef
    Cheesey beef w instant potatoes and spices
    Cheesy chicken veggie rice (2tbsp dry milk, salt, 3tbsp cheese mix,1cup instant rice,1/2 cup your fav veggies)
    I do dehydrated meatloaf with cheese mix and breadcrumbs and couscous, with ketchup packets added

Kinda made-up man meals but they work for me

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

"…dehydrated meatloaf with cheese mix and breadcrumbs and couscous"

That's really strangely excellent sounding. And I like Franco's thing with the mustard powder in the cheese sauce too–I'm going to try that.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Isaac, those sound pretty darn good!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

oh and leave it to Cameron to find the cheese! Nice!

Packit Gourmet rocks BTW!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Brian…if you search here I can tell you I have posted a number of recipes that use cheese sauce powder over the years. My son loves the stuff (be it the good natural stuff or the orange dyed junk) so many recipes came out of that hungry boy.
    You might also search my website as well – plenty more there that use csp.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Sarah, did you change your URL for your site. I tried to go there the other day (I have it saved) and it came up closed or not in service…..

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Brian Camprini
    BPL Member

@bcamprini

Sarah, it's entirely possible it was due to operator error, but I searched your site yesterday or the day before and only found the cheese sauce recipe which I thought was strange. Just did it again, but this time I hit the jackpot–lots of recipes. Thank you!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Thanks Sarah, dunno what happened…but I will. I really enjoy your recipes!!!!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Brian,
    Kirk has been tinkering on the site so that might have something to do with the search engine. Hopefully it continues to work right ;-)

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

Franco,

The company listed in Sarah's link, Frontier, has the most flavorful dried powder style garlic I've ever found, their "Garlic Granules".. We pretty much use fresh garlic exclusively, but this stuff is a close second as far as adding actual tangible garlic flavor.

Quite good, although from a medicinal standpoint, nada que ver.

Ben Crowell

@bcrowell

Locale: Southern California

Is dried cheese powder even any better than fresh cheese in terms of energy density? Here's a recent thread about fresh cheese, with discussion of the (lack of) need for refrigeration: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=12747 Fresh cheese is about 4 calories per gram. I did a little googling, and the results for powdered cheese are about the same. It may be a little hard to tell, because a lot of powdered cheese products are probably intentionally formulated to be low in fat, which is the opposite of what you want when you're backpacking. The calories in real cheese are basically fat, and fat is one of the densest forms of energy you can pack. And fresh cheese tastes a heck of a lot better than powdered.

Ankar Sheng
    BPL Member

@whiskyjack

Locale: The Canadian Shield

It's always fresh cheese for me. I took a bag of grated parmesan out for 6 hot days and the left overs were still good for my next trip, the cheese didn't evn sweat at all.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I have a stupid question here. If I take ordinary grated parmesan cheese, open it to air, and put it in a ziplock bag… how long will it keep?

Assume temperature well below body temperature.

Does it get moldy, or what?

Maybe I need to test.

–B.G.–

Ankar Sheng
    BPL Member

@whiskyjack

Locale: The Canadian Shield

See my last post Bob, thats exactly how I stored my parmesan. When I'd make camp I'd put my bag of perishables in the shade with a wet cloth draped over. In total I had that cheese unrefrigerated for about 9 or 10 days, no mold, no sweat, seemed perfectly fine.

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Bob,

I've taken grated parmesan in a ziplock bag to add to my Mtn Hse Spaghetti many times. No problems for up to two weeks. Once I didn't unpack it on coming home and three months later is was moldy.

I find string cheese, cheddar, parmesan, etc., last fine for at least two weeks. I just try to keep it cool in my pack.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

I've carried pre-grated parmesan in small ziplocs for weekend trips and it was fine. I suspect they would last longer too.

Even better is to just order lots of pizza and keep the small packages with parmesan.

Even better than that is to buy some good parmesan (not grated). I suspect a wedge of parmesan can easily last a couple of weeks unrefrigerated if kept out of the sun etc. Only problem would be the added weight of a small grater.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I finally found time to post this recipe up this past week:
    http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/cheddar-cheese-sauce-mix

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Finally found a place where I can buy this in bulk. They have white and "yellow".
    The sales lady said is is very popular with the gluten free crowd. $11 / pound (about 50 cents a serving). Not as cheap as Honeyville, but what would I do with a three pound can?

Rocky's in Eastern Market sells bulk nuts and spices. I just happened to see it.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools